Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

35 Pages V « < 26 27 28 29 30 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> #40, June '24 update
scottsilvertt
post Oct 11 2022, 10:39 PM
Post #541

scottsilvertt

Group: Members
Member No.: 6,019
Region Association: South East States

For #40, which is a super car.
Has anyone ever listed the unique features and parts of this car in a single list?

And has anyone ever listed an hour by hour diary/journal of the things that happened to the car, in 1970 at Le Mans?

Like, did it spend time in the pits getting something fixed? Or they had to run into the parking lot to find a windshield?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
914 Ranch
post Oct 12 2022, 03:39 PM
Post #542

Team Sharp where the 914 grow wings

Member No.: 19,611
Region Association: South East States

Nice Marty, if I was closer I'd there. You put a smile on my face.
Congratulations (IMG:style_emoticons/default/first.gif)
+Quote Post
Dion
post Oct 12 2022, 06:16 PM
Post #543

RN

Member No.: 2,766
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

QUOTE(scottsilvertt @ Oct 11 2022, 08:39 PM) *

Has anyone ever listed the unique features and parts of this car in a single list?

And has anyone ever listed an hour by hour diary/journal of the things that happened to the car, in 1970 at Le Mans?

Like, did it spend time in the pits getting something fixed? Or they had to run into the parking lot to find a windshield?

I like your line of thinking.
These are good points. Maybe when Marty has some “down time” :-) He could enlighten us!
+Quote Post
mlmgm
post Oct 12 2022, 08:12 PM
Post #544

Member No.: 8,536
Region Association: Northern California

#40 at Porsche Parade 1990 Monterey, CA

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image
+Quote Post
Maltese Falcon
post Oct 12 2022, 10:31 PM
Post #545

Advanced Member

Member No.: 2,755
Region Association: None

@Mlmgm that very cool "3 language" sign was in the prior owner's stash until the car went to a SoCal independent Porsche shop; where it was swiped.
Easy enough for my graphic artist friend to repro ! The sign was with the #40 while on display in the Technik Museum Sinsheim as well. Here's a pic from the mid '90s, (taken by my friend Scott) at Pomona during a PCA tribute to Vasek Polak. My black six parked adjacent to #40...and Mike (prior owner #40) walking by the front of it.
Attached Image
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Maltese Falcon
post Oct 12 2022, 10:44 PM
Post #546

Advanced Member

Engine/ intercooler pic of the black "Flat fan" six parked next to #40 (at Pomona event) which we would acquire some 25 years in the future !
Attached Image
+Quote Post
ConeDodger
post Oct 13 2022, 07:01 AM
Post #547

Apex killer!

Member No.: 3,380

QUOTE(Maltese Falcon @ Feb 28 2020, 08:53 PM) *

A couple of World members dropped in to check our progress on #40 today...Eric (Left) from PMB and Glenn Stazak (Right). Good meeting up with you guys , thank you for sharing your GT knowledge with us !¡

Marty, you spell Wierd wrong. It’s not World. Especially that guy on the left. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
KSCarrera
post Oct 14 2022, 03:19 AM
Post #548

Member No.: 22,846
Region Association: England

QUOTE(scottsilvertt @ Oct 12 2022, 04:39 AM) *

Not quite a full hour by hour account, but this is from a feature of mine a couple of years ago telling the story at Le Mans in 1970...

"By this stage in the race (8.00am Sunday morning - KS), the Sonauto 914/6GT was lying in 10th position, and leading its GT 2.0 class, ahead of the Ecurie Luxembourg 911S of Koob and Kremer and the Corvette of Greder and Rouget. The Sonauto team effort nearly came to an end with two hours to go when the 914/6GT hit standing water at the end of the pit straight, veering perilously close to the pit wall before the driver was able to gather it all back up and continue to the finish.
However, with less than an hour to go, the Greder/Rouget Corvette moved ahead of the 914/6GT, which had previously been promoted to sixth thanks to the retirement of yet more front runners. And that was the way the race finished. Attwood and Herrmann secured Porsche’s first outright victory at Le Mans, with Larrousse and Kauhsen’s 917 in second place followed by the 908 of Lins and Marko in third. Two Ferraris finished in fourth and fifth.
That was thought to be that – the 914/6GT had performed beyond expectations and a seventh overall was an excellent result…but there was more excitement to come. The race organisers decided, in it has to be said typically Gallic style, that the sixth-placed Corvette had not covered sufficient laps to be classified as a finisher, the number of laps required being determined according to the class and vehicle specification. As a result, the Sonauto entry was promoted to sixth overall, winning also the 2.0-litre GT class and the corresponding Indexes of Performance and Thermal Efficiency."
+Quote Post
wonkipop
post Oct 14 2022, 05:11 PM
Post #549

Advanced Member

Member No.: 24,231
Region Association: NineFourteenerVille

QUOTE(KSCarrera @ Oct 14 2022, 03:19 AM) *

QUOTE(scottsilvertt @ Oct 12 2022, 04:39 AM) *

Not quite a full hour by hour account, but this is from a feature of mine a couple of years ago telling the story at Le Mans in 1970...

"By this stage in the race (8.00am Sunday morning - KS), the Sonauto 914/6GT was lying in 10th position, and leading its GT 2.0 class, ahead of the Ecurie Luxembourg 911S of Koob and Kremer and the Corvette of Greder and Rouget. The Sonauto team effort nearly came to an end with two hours to go when the 914/6GT hit standing water at the end of the pit straight, veering perilously close to the pit wall before the driver was able to gather it all back up and continue to the finish.
However, with less than an hour to go, the Greder/Rouget Corvette moved ahead of the 914/6GT, which had previously been promoted to sixth thanks to the retirement of yet more front runners. And that was the way the race finished. Attwood and Herrmann secured Porsche’s first outright victory at Le Mans, with Larrousse and Kauhsen’s 917 in second place followed by the 908 of Lins and Marko in third. Two Ferraris finished in fourth and fifth.
That was thought to be that – the 914/6GT had performed beyond expectations and a seventh overall was an excellent result…but there was more excitement to come. The race organisers decided, in it has to be said typically Gallic style, that the sixth-placed Corvette had not covered sufficient laps to be classified as a finisher, the number of laps required being determined according to the class and vehicle specification. As a result, the Sonauto entry was promoted to sixth overall, winning also the 2.0-litre GT class and the corresponding Indexes of Performance and Thermal Efficiency."

great story @KSCarrera
must have got the drivers full attention hitting that puddle.

i remember reading somewhere that #40 did the whole race on the set of tyres and brake pads it started on. if my memory of reading that is not unreliable that is pretty remarkable. given it was both dry and very very wet at times in the 70 race i wonder what type of tyres #40 was running?

basically the car never stopped except to fill up and change drivers. just kept going around and round like a ticking clock. nice.
+Quote Post
Lucky9146
post Oct 14 2022, 09:45 PM
Post #550

Always Wanted A Bigger Go Cart

Member No.: 17,942
Region Association: Southern California

Great seeing Marty again and witness the very first public showing I believe of #40 at Luft 8 since he acquired it!

What a cool car! Why I didn't take interior pics, I just don't know (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

Attached Image

+Quote Post
Lucky9146
post Oct 14 2022, 09:57 PM
Post #551

Always Wanted A Bigger Go Cart

Member No.: 17,942

Here is another pic without us, for those of you downloading pics from Luft.

Interesting that Pelican Parts posted like 150 pics and not one of #40 ! Shameful

Attached Image

+Quote Post
wonkipop
post Oct 15 2022, 03:17 AM
Post #552

Advanced Member

Member No.: 24,231
Region Association: NineFourteenerVille

QUOTE(Lucky9146 @ Oct 14 2022, 09:57 PM) *

Interesting that Pelican Parts posted like 150 pics and not one of #40 ! Shameful

Attached Image

they posted up one photo.
i had a look when i got their email the other day.

maybe they were intimidated? i dunno (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

i guess to be fair to them, the 914 had all the hoo hah a couple of years ago turning 50.
i understand the theme of this year's event was carrera rs or something like that.
so maybe they were concentrating more on that? who can say.

all that matters is you guys are real lucky and should not forget that.
you would never ever see that many fantastic porsches assembled in one spot for your viewing pleasure down here in north antarctica.
and none of us 914 owners down here are going to stumble across #40 in a big display shed to drool over.

keep on enjoying what you got.
you lucky bastards. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
Maltese Falcon
post Oct 16 2022, 02:17 PM
Post #553

Advanced Member

QUOTE(Lucky9146 @ Oct 14 2022, 08:57 PM) *

Attached Image

Jim> remember that our step-child Porsche 914s will always remain an Outlaw (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
Fast forward to the LeMans Spectacular/ Laguna Seca Raceway which took place in August '22. We were working with our contact person (we've done lots of L/S biz) there for many months building up to this event. A space was reserved for #40 in the LM24 Heritage Tent. Then as @MATTYLITE was in touch with L/S just about 3 weeks to go, we were told that the big LeMans Heritage tent would in fact have -0- spot for the 914.
We were told that the sponsor (large auto Ins. Co.) decided to stage our car Outdoors in a dirt + gravel "LakeSide Extravaganza" area next to the water feature (aka Lake see the *dot*)...so we passed.
Lüft8 became the Public reveal for #40, and we respect their team on their choice. The LeMans #40 "Outlaw" never made it to L/S; Werkes Reunion would have been awesome...but too much work for a 1day show.
*Pic was taken by my racer bud Jim Torres (Wynns 962) that was there. He said good choice on a no/show, nothing there but crickets and dirt !
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Maltese Falcon
post Oct 18 2022, 11:34 AM
Post #554

Advanced Member

N/O/S GT interior material, sourced from the Vaskek Polak race parts dept, 1990's.
Upholstery shop trip coming up !
Attached Image
+Quote Post
ValcoOscar
post Oct 18 2022, 12:21 PM
Post #555

Garage Life

Member No.: 16,669

PHOTO OF THE DAY MONTH

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/first.gif)

O

Attached Image
+Quote Post
Maltese Falcon
post Oct 18 2022, 07:05 PM
Post #556

Advanced Member

QUOTE(ValcoOscar @ Oct 18 2022, 11:21 AM) *

Nice filter Oscar...I like your style !
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/number40_914.jpg)
+Quote Post
BillJ
post Oct 19 2022, 07:38 AM
Post #557

Member No.: 15,610

QUOTE(Maltese Falcon @ Oct 18 2022, 01:34 PM) *

N/O/S GT interior material, sourced from the Vaskek Polak race parts dept, 1990's.
Upholstery shop trip coming up !
Attached Image

That us an amazing get. The rest of us schlubs are cutting custom with similar stuff but there is no replacement for the real thing.
+Quote Post
Dave_Darling
post Oct 22 2022, 03:56 AM
Post #558

914 Idiot

Member No.: 121

QUOTE(scottsilvertt @ Oct 11 2022, 09:39 PM) *

AJ Serrano has spent a lot of time documenting a number of GT cars. Here's his pages on the Sonauto #40:

https://pbase.com/9146gt/9146gt_factory_rac...31020_sonauto40

--DD
+Quote Post
mate914
post Oct 22 2022, 07:04 AM
Post #559

Matt

Member No.: 10,102
Region Association: North East States

QUOTE(Lucky9146 @ Oct 14 2022, 11:45 PM) *

Great seeing Marty again and witness the very first public showing I believe of #40 at Luft 8 since he acquired it!

What a cool car! Why I didn't take interior pics, I just don't know (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

Attached Image

@Marty , Does your shirt have a Pennsylvania emblem on it?

Matt
+Quote Post
rgalla9146
post Oct 22 2022, 07:47 AM
Post #560

Advanced Member

Member No.: 5,176

QUOTE(mate914 @ Oct 22 2022, 09:04 AM) *

QUOTE(Lucky9146 @ Oct 14 2022, 11:45 PM) *

Attached Image

@Marty , Does your shirt have a Pennsylvania emblem on it?

Matt

YES, it does !
The shirt is from the Northeast Gathering of 2021 organised by Len, Linda, Bob,
Dave and others.
Big Thanks to all of them for organising it and to Marty for wearing the shirt on
such an important Porsche occassion !!!!
Thanks Marty
PS....one day I'll get to a west coast event.....my last one was the Parade in
Seattle/Tacoma.....about a hundred years ago.
Rory
Oh ! Nice job on #40 Marty, Beautiful !
+Quote Post

35 Pages V « < 26 27 28 29 30 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 30th June 2024 - 09:36 AM