Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

6 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Do bumblebees sting?, My experience with John Forbes and his "Speed and Custom Shop"
mepstein
post May 10 2020, 05:35 PM
Post #21

914-6 GT in waiting

Group: Members
Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Unfortunately, this isn’t the first Fuch up that I’ve heard from his shop.
User is online!Profile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
iankarr
post May 10 2020, 07:31 PM
Post #22

The wrencher formerly known as Cuddy_K

Member No.: 18,749
Region Association: Intermountain Region

QUOTE(bdstone914 @ May 10 2020, 07:12 PM) *

In the end I think John will be the one who gets stung worse. It is a small world of 914 owners and word travels fast. At least what you gave is fixable.
And as you can see how much help and support you will get here.
Just curious did you give him a Yelp review?

I agree, Bruce. I'm not much of a yelp guy. I just checked and Black Forest has no reviews.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
+Quote Post
SO.O.C914er
post May 10 2020, 07:34 PM
Post #23

Member No.: 20,199
Region Association: Southern California

Happened to me back in 2015 in trusted my 73 to a guy Glenn- nineonefour in LA took my car after being on blocks since 1987. Screwed me good on the new motor which I had to replace 3 months later and he wouldn’t stand behind his work. Screwed a couple more people then disappear....it hurts and is sad bout it happens all the time.
+Quote Post
TonyA
post May 10 2020, 07:55 PM
Post #24

Nachmal

Member No.: 20,596
Region Association: North East States

Wow Ian you have the patience of a saint. I think I would have ordered a blanket party for the guy (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) Hey I know a guy that knows a guy..... forgetaboutit. Looking forward to the continuing BB (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif) videos. I am starting on a BB also. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif)
+Quote Post
daraho9146
post May 10 2020, 09:49 PM
Post #25

Member No.: 17,582
Region Association: None

QUOTE(TonyA @ May 10 2020, 07:55 PM) *

Wow Ian you have the patience of a saint. I think I would have ordered a blanket party for the guy (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) Hey I know a guy that knows a guy..... forgetaboutit. Looking forward to the continuing BB (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif) videos. I am starting on a BB also. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif)

I feel your pain. John's shop used to be Black Forest Racing in Delray beach Fl.
In 2001, I bought a really nice Irish Green 914-6 from a guy in Miami.
He told me to call John to ask about the mechanicals. I let John talk me into building me one of his famous 2.2 L engines. What a fiasco!. His little boy mechanic installed two different cams in it. It took me a year and a half to get things straightened out and I had to use threats to turn him in to the IRS to get things fixed. The car now has a 3.2 in it.
The 2.2 had a short life.
The last time I talked to John was about 12 years ago when he moved to NC. He was doing nothing but building engines. John is not a manager.
One lesson I have learned is not to take the car to someone who, races and hires relatives and his loadie friends to work for him.
+Quote Post
iankarr
post May 10 2020, 10:22 PM
Post #26

Sorry you went through that with your -6. Ugh. Not surprising, given what i know now.

@TonyA you are too funny. i never heard the term "blanket party" but I love it. Is that Phlly thing?

@joeproper thanks for offering to make some reccos. I definitely need a machinist for this case. Will call you this week.
+Quote Post
Larmo63
post May 10 2020, 11:32 PM
Post #27

Advanced Member

Member No.: 17,068

This story immediately reminded me of Michael's Scotty B fiasco.

We need to start a GoFundMe here so we can see your new cool videos sooner.

It would be kind of like paying an admission fee to see a good movie.
+Quote Post
EdwardBlume
post May 10 2020, 11:56 PM
Post #28

914 Wizard

Member No.: 81
Region Association: Central California

Damn... sorry to see this. Your perseverance is inspiring and will continue to serve you well. May the next one pay you back in spades....
+Quote Post
banananose914
post May 11 2020, 12:10 AM
Post #29

Member No.: 16,681

QUOTE(Larmo63 @ May 10 2020, 10:32 PM) *

I found it hard to read your story. My heart rate actually went way up. Guys and shops like this really piss me off. Unfortunately he is not an anomaly. If a person says they’re going to do something, then f-ing do it. It’s obvious that he has no empathy, but I’m sure he wouldn’t want anyone screwing him over. Selfish fuc.... There’s an old saying for narcissistic people like this, find a friend tried and true, try to fu.. them before they fu.. you. I’ll sum it up in two words, which may be the shop’s motto, unaffected, unconcerned.
+Quote Post
iankarr
post May 11 2020, 09:04 AM
Post #30

Yep. Integrity is in short supply these days. I'm a big believer in karma, though. Or should I say car-ma? (props to 914Rubber's slogan)....
+Quote Post
76-914
post May 11 2020, 10:54 AM
Post #31

Repeat Offender & Resident Subaru Antagonist

Member No.: 9,964

QUOTE(banananose914 @ May 10 2020, 11:10 PM) *

If a person says they’re going to do something, then f-ing do it.

That's called accountability or living as your word and it is on the endangered species list Jim. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)
+Quote Post
Unobtanium-inc
post May 11 2020, 11:54 AM
Post #32

Advanced Member

Member No.: 7,276

QUOTE(76-914 @ May 11 2020, 08:54 AM) *

QUOTE(banananose914 @ May 10 2020, 11:10 PM) *

If a person says they’re going to do something, then f-ing do it.

That's called accountability or living as your word and it is on the endangered species list Jim. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)

I learned this personally the hard way and have a rule now, the shop does no outside work. I looked up and a friend ask me to weld up his decklid and do some work, the decklid sat here for a year untouched, we were incredibly busy. He started getting mad, I said I could do it. I did it, no charge, but that was the last time. If I put my name to it I want to see it through, but like Clint said "A man's got to know his limitations."

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
ValcoOscar
post May 11 2020, 12:47 PM
Post #33

Garage Life

Member No.: 16,669

Ian-
I am sorry for what you have been through so far on your Bumble Bee project. I don’t wish to reopen wounds from my past dealings with fellow “Porsche friends”. My guess is that we’ve all been stung in our past. But, we learn, we regroup and move on. For me, life is too short to dwell on past bad experiences. Thank you for sharing, hope it saves someone else from being stung. You’re a stand-up guy and I feel fortunate to have spent some time with you on your West Coast visits , Stay positive!!!! Please keep your videos coming!!!

Rock on with your BUMBLE BEE!!! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif)

Your Pal,

Oscar
+Quote Post
Sprout
post May 11 2020, 02:25 PM
Post #34

Member No.: 22,544
Region Association: Upper MidWest

Sorry to hear this happened to you! Thanks for sharing your story, though, as it will definitely help others. Lots of time and money gone, but at least you got your project back (or most of it, anyway) and are forging ahead. Can't wait to see it finished!
+Quote Post
iankarr
post May 11 2020, 02:43 PM
Post #35

Thanks so much, guys. The outpouring of support is really heartwarming and much appreciated.

@Valcooscar...I'm so grateful for you, our friendship, and everything you do for this community. I totally agree that life is WAY too short. Resentment or anger tends to only affetct the person generating those feelings. the people you're angry with are just going on with their lives, unaffected...so it only hurts yourself. It's best to get the poison out early and leave it in the past. Wish I knew that when I was 20.

The bumblebee is currently at a great shop in Da Bronx. I'm in the process of restoring the dash and rebuilding the engine while I wait for paint. New parts from 914rubber have already started rolling in and I'm planning the episodes. Thanks everyone for watching. Please subscribe if you haven't already!

Ian

+Quote Post
mepstein
post May 11 2020, 04:36 PM
Post #36

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Ian - Are you going to post on pelican.
+Quote Post
914_7T3
post May 11 2020, 05:13 PM
Post #37

Please forgive me, I'm new to all of this!

Member No.: 20,991

QUOTE(mepstein @ May 11 2020, 03:36 PM) *

Ian - Are you going to post on pelican.

& Rennlist & thesamba ?

What bugs me is that these guys get away with it as the good guys opt to take the high road. This leaves those vendors of ill repute to go ahead and burn someone else and not even care.

Might be better to do what you can to show that he'd be better off to make good. A small claims court judgement would not be that hard to get. A judgement or potential lien that follows his credit around for 7 years might be a nice parting gift.

I get that its not your style, but the remedies are out there should you wish to pursue.
+Quote Post
iankarr
post May 11 2020, 05:37 PM
Post #38

I so rarely go on pelican that i didn't think about it...but yes, I will. Samba and FB too.

I feel same as you, Jeffrey. Sucks that these guys rip people off and too few publicly complain. It's important to, though, as comments live on in cyberspace forever.

It's not that small claims isn't my style. Been there / done that. In my experience the max judgement vs the ROI of time and aggravation just isn't worth it. Especially since he's in NC. If you or someone here has suggestions for how to file a case from afar, I'm all ears. Maybe just being served would incentivize him to mensch-up. I do have extensive records (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif).

In the meantime, I'm continuing to push him to deliver the missing parts, but as I said, I'm not expecting much.
+Quote Post
JRust
post May 11 2020, 11:04 PM
Post #39

914 Guru

Member No.: 129
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Damn I feel your pain & have been there myself. Ironically it was when I was restoring my LE Creamsicle where I had similar issues. Not with John but there is a link. I sold John from Black Forest Racing a different creamisicle that was one Vin # off bumblebee. So I made him a deal on it & shipped it to him. That was a good 10 years ago I'd say. I got the creamsicle I sold him from a guy who screwed me on my motor. This was after I got screwed over by the guy who painted my car. I took it to a guy who was recommended to me. I just couldn't get it running. He was supposed to be a FI guru. Anyway guy had it about 18 months & had left my car outside in the rain. By the time I finally went & picked up my car & motor which still did not run. I had rust coming through my what should have been fresh paint. In my floor pan from water sitting inside it. As well as the rear trunk from water sitting inside. Took it home & fixed the paint. Took it to McMark who had my car running in 2 days. To make a long story longer. I'd become so disillusioned with my LE I sold it at a loss. Just because I couldn't enjoy it. To many bad memories

So I feel your pain & am so glad you finally got your car back. Live & learn for us all
+Quote Post
Big Len
post May 12 2020, 08:57 AM
Post #40

Member No.: 16,126
Region Association: Southwest Region

You're a better man than me Ian for the restraint you showed in posting this. I would have been downright hostile.

Time for Black Forest Racing to make reparations and pull themselves out of the Scumbag Hall of Fame.
+Quote Post

6 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th June 2024 - 12:30 PM