Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Gauging Interest: GT Oil-cooler Fan support
RiqueMar
post Aug 19 2020, 12:49 PM
Post #1

Enrique Allen Mar

Group: Members
Member No.: 9,478
Region Association: Southern California

Hi All,

I've received several messages and seems there is some interest in a recent fan/shroud support I created for my 3.6 project. Sending this thread out to gauge interest in producing a run of these, photos of the prototype below (shown in ABS)....

Generalities:
- 16 gauge steel, easily customizable for each build, and allows the 'garage builder' to weld
- Added 1" on top and bottom. The user/myself can either bend the top and bottom to be used as an additional air-direct for pusher/puller fans, or as a support for aluminum/fiberglass shroud OR the excess can be trimmed to more accurately reflect the below photo.
- In production now, 1-2 week to delivery
- Targeting 'initial run' price of $120 per piece, will increase.

Attached Image

Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Chris914n6
post Aug 19 2020, 01:31 PM
Post #2

Jackstands are my life.

Member No.: 431
Region Association: Southwest Region

So you're trying to sell a piece of sheetmetal, for $120, that is supposed to be a fan shroud, that you haven't actually tested yet to realize it has too many holes cut in it to work properly?

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/huh.gif)
+Quote Post
RiqueMar
post Aug 19 2020, 01:57 PM
Post #3

Enrique Allen Mar

QUOTE(Chris914n6 @ Aug 19 2020, 12:31 PM) *

So you're trying to sell a piece of sheetmetal, for $120, that is supposed to be a fan shroud, that you haven't actually tested yet to realize it has too many holes cut in it to work properly?

Hi Chris, this is not a fan shroud but rather a support and relies on the user having additional components (Fiberglass shroud, Cooler, etc.)

You are correct. I am trying to use what I've learned based on the limited resources / availability of parts and knowledge to further increase the appeal of the 914 and the community as a whole. As for too many holes; I welcome your feedback.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/bye1.gif)
+Quote Post
RiqueMar
post Aug 19 2020, 01:59 PM
Post #4

Enrique Allen Mar

QUOTE(RiqueMar @ Aug 19 2020, 12:57 PM) *

QUOTE(Chris914n6 @ Aug 19 2020, 12:31 PM) *

Hi Chris, this is not a fan shroud but rather a support and relies on the user having additional components (Fiberglass shroud, Cooler, etc.)

You are correct. I am trying to use what I've learned based on the limited resources / availability of parts and knowledge to further increase the appeal of the 914 and the community as a whole. As for too many holes; I welcome your feedback.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/bye1.gif)
+Quote Post
RiqueMar
post Jan 18 2021, 12:52 PM
Post #5

Enrique Allen Mar

Hi All,

Updating this thread with progress photos from my recent first revision. I got a little behind on this, however happy to show a complete piece. We ended up moving the structure right up against the cooler face and eliminating pass-through holes to increase the amount of suction and direct airflow straight-through the cooler.

I've received messages from a few members, please let me know if anyone else is interested in these. Happy to help the 914-community! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/bye1.gif)

Final piece:
- 16-18g steel or aluminum
- No welding necessary
- Fits 1-4 fans. Buyer determines amount, no extra charge.

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Jan 18 2021, 03:10 PM
Post #6

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Any chance you could supply it with the fans and wiring harness?
+Quote Post
Steve
post Jan 18 2021, 04:12 PM
Post #7

914 Guru

Member No.: 822

How about just the hardware, no fans. Curious if my existing spal fans will work? What are the fan specs?
+Quote Post
RiqueMar
post Jan 18 2021, 04:20 PM
Post #8

Enrique Allen Mar

QUOTE(mepstein @ Jan 18 2021, 01:10 PM) *

Any chance you could supply it with the fans and wiring harness?

@mepstein - Not a problem at all. Can supply wired with a male/female connector ready to install. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

QUOTE(Steve @ Jan 18 2021, 02:12 PM) *

How about just the hardware, no fans. Curious if my existing spal fans will work? What are the fan specs?

@Steve - Also not a problem, will PM you spal fan specs (IMG:style_emoticons/default/bye1.gif)
+Quote Post
Luke M
post Jan 18 2021, 06:21 PM
Post #9

Member No.: 3,574
Region Association: North East States

The bracket and three fans fit under a GT cooler shroud w/o mods?
+Quote Post
RiqueMar
post Jan 18 2021, 07:01 PM
Post #10

Enrique Allen Mar

QUOTE(Luke M @ Jan 18 2021, 04:21 PM) *

The bracket and three fans fit under a GT cooler shroud w/o mods?

@Luke M - You'll notice from the photos that the shroud itself is only a little-bit larger than the cooler, .125" top and bottom. I'm attaching a few pictures of the mount I fabricated for my cooler to make it easily removable. Studs are M8, and allow the user to add a isolator and reduce vibration, I'll admit I went a bit overkill, but it was fun. If there is enough interest, happy to make these mounting brackets as well, I have the designs in my notes. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/welder.gif)

Hopefully, this will pick up enough, and I can justify pulling a mold for the shroud. I added tabs to eliminate sheet-metal screws, making it both easier to mount (off the body instead of the cooler) and overall cleaner. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/bye1.gif)

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image
+Quote Post
RiqueMar
post Jan 19 2021, 10:34 AM
Post #11

Enrique Allen Mar

First orders received (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif) Excited to get these started!

For those interested, make your purchase now, this initial price won’t last (IMG:style_emoticons/default/icon_bump.gif)
+Quote Post
DRPHIL914
post Jan 20 2021, 09:56 AM
Post #12

Dr. Phil

Member No.: 11,106
Region Association: South East States

QUOTE(RiqueMar @ Jan 18 2021, 01:52 PM) *

Hi All,

Updating this thread with progress photos from my recent first revision. I got a little behind on this, however happy to show a complete piece. We ended up moving the structure right up against the cooler face and eliminating pass-through holes to increase the amount of suction and direct airflow straight-through the cooler.

I've received messages from a few members, please let me know if anyone else is interested in these. Happy to help the 914-community! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/bye1.gif)

Final piece:
- 16-18g steel or aluminum
- No welding necessary
- Fits 1-4 fans. Buyer determines amount, no extra charge.

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

i am not in the market but that is a nice looking set-up, very well done. it might not be seen after installation of the shroud but that is great, if i were doing a front oil cooler i would have to consider it.
+Quote Post
Montreal914
post Jan 20 2021, 10:09 AM
Post #13

Member No.: 12,023

Nice setup but I have a couple of questions:

Aren't you worried of blocking a lot of the air flow through the radiator with only having the round openings for the fan, knowing the fan hubs are also blocking, left with 3 donuts of open area?

You mentioned the shroud being larger than the cooler, how will you seal that void so the incoming cooling air can be forced through the radiator and not around it?

Thank you for sharing! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Jan 20 2021, 10:21 AM
Post #14

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

I purchased one. It looks good to me. If it doesn’t work well enough for my needs, I’ll pull it out, modify or use something else.

It's a bonus when I can buy from a 914World member.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)
+Quote Post
RiqueMar
post Jan 21 2021, 01:27 PM
Post #15

Enrique Allen Mar

@Montreal914 and @DRPHIL914 - Thanks for the nice comments and questions. Letting you know I saw your posts, and will respond shortly, just in the middle of a work-crunch.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/smash.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sawzall-smiley.gif)
+Quote Post
RiqueMar
post Jan 22 2021, 09:46 PM
Post #16

Enrique Allen Mar

QUOTE(DRPHIL914 @ Jan 20 2021, 07:56 AM) *

i am not in the market but that is a nice looking set-up, very well done. it might not be seen after installation of the shroud but that is great, if i were doing a front oil cooler i would have to consider it.

@DRPHIL914 - Thanks for your nice words, much appreciated. Glad to see the passing is reflected in the photos.
+Quote Post
RiqueMar
post Jan 22 2021, 10:05 PM
Post #17

Enrique Allen Mar

QUOTE(Montreal914 @ Jan 20 2021, 08:09 AM) *

Nice setup but I have a couple of questions:

Aren't you worried of blocking a lot of the air flow through the radiator with only having the round openings for the fan, knowing the fan hubs are also blocking, left with 3 donuts of open area?

You mentioned the shroud being larger than the cooler, how will you seal that void so the incoming cooling air can be forced through the radiator and not around it?

Thank you for sharing! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

@Montreal914 - Great questions, and thank you.

Air will still pass through the cooler, as the front of it is still open. Additionally, as the fans are designed to 'pull air' through the system, the lack of holes on the bracket creates suction, pulling air through the cooler.

To your second point; The shroud is slightly larger than the cooler, so we added a rubber seal to the top and bottom, as well as the sides (further helping on the 'suction' front). Additionally, when functioning, the entire apparatus has the fiberglass shroud around it which also directs air to the cooler. If the owner plans to race, or really push the car, they could certainly add another piece of sheet metal (illustration below) and box everything in so that air can only go though the cooler, but that is a fabrication question that is up to the owner. Me? I'm less concerned about cooling when at speed and more so in traffic, thus the selection of 'puller' fans.

Hope I answered all your questions, and if you have more, please keep them coming! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif)

Attached Image
+Quote Post
RiqueMar
post Jan 22 2021, 10:10 PM
Post #18

Enrique Allen Mar

QUOTE(mepstein @ Jan 20 2021, 08:21 AM) *

I purchased one. It looks good to me. If it doesn’t work well enough for my needs, I’ll pull it out, modify or use something else.

It's a bonus when I can buy from a 914World member.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)

@mepstein - Señor Mark, thank you for your purchase!
+Quote Post
Bucci
post Jan 23 2021, 01:00 AM
Post #19

Bucci

Member No.: 9,407

It would be nice if you opened up the “air” exit on the bottom floor of the trunk. The louver slot openings are tiny. The exit side should be twice the size of of the opening, less pressure more flow.

In fact, I bent the floor sheet metal down on the leading edge of the air exit to help suck out the air creating a suction. Its the same theory as the little plastic flappers on the bottom of the car at the engine bay..!
+Quote Post
mb911
post Jan 23 2021, 07:17 AM
Post #20

914 Guru

Member No.: 9,892
Region Association: Upper MidWest

QUOTE(Bucci @ Jan 22 2021, 11:00 PM) *

It would be nice if you opened up the “air” exit on the bottom floor of the trunk. The louver slot openings are tiny. The exit side should be twice the size of of the opening, less pressure more flow.

In fact, I bent the floor sheet metal down on the leading edge of the air exit to help suck out the air creating a suction. Its the same theory as the little plastic flappers on the bottom of the car at the engine bay..!

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) but it is what most people have.
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 11:03 PM