Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Need Advice - Best Location for Oil Cooler, Passenger rear fender well????
Demick
post Jul 15 2005, 06:11 PM
Post #21

Ernie made me do it!

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 257

Duane

With that setup, I would recommend running the fan at all times (at least at a reduced speed). When the fan is not running, the engine fan is pulling air through the cooler in the opposite direction and heating up the air in your engine compartment (hence, preheating the air that your engine uses for cooling as well as the air going into the intake).

Ideally, you want to keep the air flow direction always going from the engine bay to the fender. Running the fan will ensure this is always the case.

Demick
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Joseph Mills
post Jul 15 2005, 08:27 PM
Post #22

on a Sonoma diet now...

Group: Members
Member No.: 39

QUOTE (brant @ Jul 15 2005, 04:21 PM)
betcha  if you add an inch and a half ride height/ front spoiler clearance your cooling problem goes away.

Brant,

Good point, although I run a stock valence. But, my car is lowered. The front doughnut is 4.5" so as you point out, there has to be "some" loss of air movement there.

Plus, a stock cooling system is just barely adequate in warmer climates.

Plus, my engine has Euro P/Cs & flycut heads so compression is bumped a bit, plus a moderate cam. It produces a bit more HP than stock, so it's going to produce a bit more heat.

I'm not convinced that my cooling would be resolved by raising the car. Anyway, it is set up for AX and is corner balanced with a 50% cross reading. Not going to touch that! (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/rolleyes.gif)

I may just hang the cooler off the trunk, but I'm "thinking about" fitting it into the fender well, inspite of others opinions that are much more knowlegeable than mine. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/ohmy.gif)

Do you have any other pics of your car? I'm thinking of a similar paint scheme.

+Quote Post
Joseph Mills
post Jul 15 2005, 08:48 PM
Post #23

on a Sonoma diet now...

Member No.: 39

QUOTE (Dman @ Jul 15 2005, 05:27 PM)
Joseph, I mounted my cooler in the front fender well area. With an 800 cfm fan pulling air into the fenderwell from the engine bay.  

Plumbing wise it is a great location. I have a manual switch for it and honestly I only see an improvement when I have it on and I am sitting in traffic.

When I do my next car I will definatly look for more airflow.

Duane,

Thanks for the info and pic. That configuration had not occured to me. Demick has pointed this out... have you tried running the fan all the time?

My cooler is narrow enough that it can be placed at a right angle to yours.

I'm considering putting an air intake (scoop) on my rocker panel and also under it for fresh air. Plus the two fans. Along with a protective screen on standoffs on the back side to keep debris off.

If it turns out that it increases my engine temps, I'll just use it in the winter (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
brant
post Jul 15 2005, 10:46 PM
Post #24

914 Wizard

Member No.: 47
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

Joseph....

so if your running a stock valance (no spoiler?)
then I'm probably wrong about the lack of airflow.

the situation I had back when was one of those rubber lipped spoilers that was 1 inch off of the ground and allowed no air flow at the highway at 80mph

send me your email address and I'll link you into my ofoto's for more pics.

brant

+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd June 2024 - 12:43 PM