Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

5 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 5 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> What’s the Latest on LED Headlight Conversion?
horizontally-opposed
post Dec 19 2020, 12:52 PM
Post #41

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,058
Region Association: None

QUOTE(Krieger @ Dec 18 2020, 07:50 PM) *

@horizontally-opposed . In April I finally finished my 75 when I installed my GE Nighthawks this past April!

This is so cool to read, having driven your car for the first time so long ago—and it was great even back then!
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Montreal914
post Dec 19 2020, 01:04 PM
Post #42

Member No.: 12,023
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(horizontally-opposed @ Dec 19 2020, 09:16 AM) *

I wonder if I can somehow get the back pad "just higher enough" between my headrests to conceal one of those ultra-thin LED strips so it is seen through the rear window.

I wanted the third light to be as high as possible (for big SUVs...). Also, the Targa bar line (side view) goes down, which helps in hiding the housing. And it is red plastic so it doesn't stand out much in my case (Bahia). The other thing I like is that if I turn my head and look up, I can see some red light indicating me that my brake lights are working (at least that one...). Finally, the price was right, $Ebay $12 (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
Cairo94507
post Dec 19 2020, 01:39 PM
Post #43

Michael

Member No.: 9,712
Region Association: Northern California

I agree that the 3rd brake light needs to mounted on the targa bar, as high as you can get it. For me, my goal is under the targa bar and back towards the trim, away from the window. I am looking for something about 12-18". Every time I take my car out I freak out when I see some asshat kid behind me with his phone in his hand as he is driving. Where I live there seems to be an abundance of those. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Dec 19 2020, 01:46 PM
Post #44

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Dec 19 2020, 02:39 PM) *

I agree that the 3rd brake light needs to mounted on the targa bar, as high as you can get it. For me, my goal is under the targa bar and back towards the trim, away from the window. I am looking for something about 12-18". Every time I take my car out I freak out when I see some asshat kid behind me with his phone in his hand as he is driving. Where I live there seems to be an abundance of those. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)

You are not alone. Yesterday I was at a red light and someone plowed into the back of the car next to me. I bet they were going 25-30. Must have been looking down at their phone. Everybody was ok but both cars were trashed.
+Quote Post
73-914
post Dec 19 2020, 02:02 PM
Post #45

Member No.: 11,651

QUOTE(Chris914n6 @ Dec 17 2020, 02:23 AM) *

^^ Good point. Modern Jeep is not standard size. The older Jeeps used standard sizes and that's where the confusion lies. But a Jeep 'spec' isn't what we are needing.

I put HID retrofit H4 bulbs in vintage Cibie Ecode housings and it's near perfect. But that is another Chinese rabbit hole for quality and in-spec bulbs.

I like my E-codes also but they are not DOT approved
+Quote Post
malcolm2
post Dec 19 2020, 02:07 PM
Post #46

Advanced Member

Member No.: 13,139
Region Association: South East States

https://vintagecarleds.com/

Great supporter of 914 world. Came to the last Okteenerfest and gave away a set. Not just gave away, but installed them as we all watched.

I also bought a set for my 72 VW Bus restoration.

I will admit that I had issues installing. For some reason I had a 75 headlight frame and a 73 frame. The Vintage LED did not want to go in the 75 frame. So I found another 73 frame and all is well. So if you have a 75 or 76, be prepared.

I did need to adjust them properly and that helped the fit too, but did not solve my problem, I had to get the early light frame. I will say Vintage was great with helping me get things figured out. Quick replies on my emails, etc...

Clark
+Quote Post
yellowporky
post Dec 25 2020, 06:41 PM
Post #47

Member No.: 10,948

So today i finally had a day off of work and was able to install the Vintage car leds.
Install was as easy as changing a light bulb since these were the simple plug and play H4 with the Hella lenses.
I did notice that the spades were thinner on the led bulb and i had to squeeze the female connector down to get a solid connection. I always cringe when doing this because the old connectors are so brittle.
I am very impressed with the output of the lights and the low beam cut off is very crisp compared to my old sylvania sealed bulbs.
Also when i had the headlights in the up position and the battery disconnected i had pushed the switch back in one position so the headlights were off but the parking lights would all be on when i put power back. watching my voltage gauge there was no movement at all when i pulled the switch out to turn on the headlights and also no movement going from low to high beams.
I would highly recommend this option
Chris
+Quote Post
bkrantz
post Dec 25 2020, 07:47 PM
Post #48

914 Guru

Member No.: 23,343
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

QUOTE(yellowporky @ Dec 25 2020, 05:41 PM) *

So today i finally had a day off of work and was able to install the Vintage car leds.
Install was as easy as changing a light bulb since these were the simple plug and play H4 with the Hella lenses.
I did notice that the spades were thinner on the led bulb and i had to squeeze the female connector down to get a solid connection. I always cringe when doing this because the old connectors are so brittle.
I am very impressed with the output of the lights and the low beam cut off is very crisp compared to my old sylvania sealed bulbs.
Also when i had the headlights in the up position and the battery disconnected i had pushed the switch back in one position so the headlights were off but the parking lights would all be on when i put power back. watching my voltage gauge there was no movement at all when i pulled the switch out to turn on the headlights and also no movement going from low to high beams.
Chris

Which Vintage kit or bulb did you use?
+Quote Post
yellowporky
post Dec 25 2020, 07:52 PM
Post #49

QUOTE(yellowporky @ Dec 18 2020, 10:23 AM) *

I went with the simple version from Vintage Led because i did not want the large heat sink or the added converter box
Maybe not the best performer but it has to be better than stock.
They arrive today so i hope to install soon.
https://vintagecarleds.com/shop/7-inch/vcm3...-headlight-kit/

+Quote Post
Jamie
post Dec 25 2020, 09:32 PM
Post #50

Member No.: 2,939
Region Association: South East States

QUOTE(yellowporky @ Dec 25 2020, 04:41 PM) *

Chris

I believe these were the same LED bulbs I installed shortly after the Okteenerfest demo, and I have been very pleased with the ease of installation, performance, and the price! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/first.gif)
+Quote Post
BillJ
post Dec 26 2020, 09:26 AM
Post #51

Member No.: 15,610

@yellowporky do you have pictures of installed finished product? Do they protrude in housing?
+Quote Post
yellowporky
post Dec 26 2020, 10:10 AM
Post #52

These use Hella H4 housings so no
Attached Image
+Quote Post
BillJ
post Dec 26 2020, 11:34 AM
Post #53

Cool. Ordered.
+Quote Post
horizontally-opposed
post Dec 26 2020, 01:11 PM
Post #54

Advanced Member

Member No.: 2,058

Just ordered, as well.
+Quote Post
bkrantz
post Dec 26 2020, 09:28 PM
Post #55

914 Guru

Member No.: 23,343
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

QUOTE(yellowporky @ Dec 25 2020, 06:52 PM) *

QUOTE(yellowporky @ Dec 18 2020, 10:23 AM) *

I went with the simple version from Vintage Led because i did not want the large heat sink or the added converter box
Maybe not the best performer but it has to be better than stock.
They arrive today so i hope to install soon.
https://vintagecarleds.com/shop/7-inch/vcm3...-headlight-kit/

Thanks! (sorry I missed the earlier post)
+Quote Post
Montreal914
post Dec 26 2020, 10:28 PM
Post #56

Member No.: 12,023

QUOTE(yellowporky @ Dec 25 2020, 04:41 PM) *

Not sure I fully understand what you had before. Did you install the LED bulbs in your already installed Hella H4 housings, or your replaced your sealed beams by both the H4 housing and LED bulbs?

Very appealing option to keep the Hella housing as I personally like them. So, I understand the LEDs are much better than the sealed beams, but are they a lot better than the standard halogen 55W H4 bulbs?

Thank you for sharing the info! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
yellowporky
post Dec 26 2020, 10:39 PM
Post #57

I had a pair of sealed beam Sylvania bulbs from 1986. They were very yellow and not very bright. When you order from Vintage Led you can choose to upgrade to the Hella H4 lens over the basic included one. I imaging if you already have the lens you could simply install their led bulb in it.
When you ask if the Led is better that a 55 watt H4 i would have to say 100% yes due to the low draw for the same light output. I cringe at the thought of running high power through our old electrical systems
+Quote Post
yellowporky
post Dec 27 2020, 09:58 PM
Post #58

Finally got to drive the car tonight and the difference is significant. Used to be scary to drive at night on dark roads now like a normal car
+Quote Post
BillJ
post Dec 28 2020, 08:48 AM
Post #59

on dark roads i needed to use the pilot lights to get even moderate visibility compared to the stock headlights. From a safety point of view it is a must for me.
+Quote Post
76-914
post Dec 28 2020, 04:38 PM
Post #60

Repeat Offender & Resident Subaru Antagonist

Member No.: 9,964

I can remember when one could tell by the approaching car's headlights whether it had a 6v or 12v electrical system. And a few years later if someone had a 12v generator or alternator if the headlights dimmed when they let off the gas. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/slits.gif)
+Quote Post

5 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
58 User(s) are reading this topic (58 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 2nd July 2024 - 06:15 AM