Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

5 Pages V « < 3 4 5  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> What’s the Latest on LED Headlight Conversion?
Unpretentious
post Feb 17 2021, 11:03 PM
Post #81

Group: Members
Member No.: 17,532
Region Association: Central California

These are the headlights I installed on my ‘73 1.7 a couple nights ago. They’re certainly a cleaner, brighter beam. OEM fog lights seem to work just fine, though they look pretty dingy compared to the LED’s. They were a simple “plug and play” with no rear clearance problems or “bulging” in the front. Manufacturer quality control isn’t the best. When adjusted the best I could, the left low beam was slightly higher than the right, but on high beam, it was slightly lower?? They’re just fine for my daily driver, but when I replace the headlights on the Creamsicle and the Six I’ll likely go for a more authentic look and pay much more too!

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
VaccaRabite
post Feb 18 2021, 12:04 PM
Post #82

En Garde!

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,435
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

QUOTE(FRUNKenstein @ Feb 17 2021, 11:33 AM) *

QUOTE(horizontally-opposed @ Feb 17 2021, 10:18 AM) *

For those of you who have installed LED bulbs (not complete LED units)—and particularly those of you who have driven significant miles at night with them—do any of you have regrets? It doesn't seem like it, but trying to square the comments below vs. the almost universal praise…

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c4-tec...-code-lens.html

That's a good topic to discuss. I would think that, given the wide availability of complete replacement units at a very reasonable cost (under $250 for the set), it would be best to replace the entire headlight unit rather than just installing an LED bulb in the existing housing/lens. I'm no expert, but it would avoid the problem that the Corvette guys are discussing in that thread.

This is exactly right. You have to go with a housing that was designed to be used with LED bulbs. This is fairly easy on a 914 since they use a standard 7 inch bulb that is still common today. For other vehicles (like my 4Runner) there are not housings that are made for LEDs readily available (and the ones that are cost over $1000). That is the situation where people are putting LED bulbs in H4 housings and getting dangerous light patterns as a result.

With the 7 inch bulbs we use, we can even get heated LED housings since these things are meant for daily driven vehicles that need heat to keep the headlights clear in shitty weather.

Zach
+Quote Post
Mikey914
post Feb 18 2021, 01:25 PM
Post #83

The rubber man

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,348
Region Association: None

The LEDs that fit into housings do require alignment. They have defined light patterns (at least the ones we have tested and sell), this is also why we sell the housings that we have tested.

The complete units are no exception, improperly aimed they are just as dangerous.

The key is proper installation WITH alignment.
No way around that.
+Quote Post

5 Pages V « < 3 4 5
Reply to this topicStart new topic
108 User(s) are reading this topic (108 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 2nd July 2024 - 06:39 AM