Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V < 1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> How long did you have to wait for the right 914?, Tell your story
Tdskip
post Feb 1 2021, 06:11 PM
Post #21

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 21,666
Region Association: None

What is this “waiting for the right one” thing? I though you were suppose to buy a ratty one and then make it what you want, no?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
SavingManuals
post Feb 1 2021, 07:00 PM
Post #22

Member No.: 25,044

QUOTE(Tdskip @ Feb 1 2021, 07:11 PM) *

What is this “waiting for the right one” thing? I though you were suppose to buy a ratty one and then make it what you want, no?

True, true. Well, did ya find the right ratty one?? I'm thinking the "right one" is the one you had in mind and waited until one came up for sale. Or, maybe it's the one that you weren't looking for, but it just screamed "BUY ME!" and you couldn't say no.
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/screwy.gif)

I get ya though. Part of me wants to buy one that I've had my eye on for about a month. It's banged up, the exterior is literally just rust, it sags at the doors but it's a 73 2.0 with 2 Webers, 5-lug Fuchs, a clean interior, AND...it runs. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/happy11.gif)
+Quote Post
wonkipop
post Feb 1 2021, 09:29 PM
Post #23

Advanced Member

Member No.: 24,231
Region Association: NineFourteenerVille

QUOTE(Tdskip @ Feb 1 2021, 06:11 PM) *

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)

i forgot what time period we are in.

i met a youngish bloke (he still had his natural hair colour) out here on sunday at a very small guerilla car/coffee gig (still can't figure out if we can legally do gatherings here the covid govt. control stuff is so complicated). i made his day showing up in my cobweb on wheels. he has just bought himself a 914. wasn't even ratty, it was in boxes of aus rattiness. he asked me if he could take some photos of mine to help him put his dispersed parts list together. he was there for 3/4 of an hour, taking photos of everything. his phone ran out of juice in the end. he was going to get what he wanted for sure.
+Quote Post
poorsche914
post Feb 1 2021, 09:47 PM
Post #24

T4 Supercharged

Member No.: 10,419
Region Association: South East States

In May of 2016, a local 914er brought home a white '73 with GT flares and 5-lug Fuchs. The first time I saw it, I was smitten. I told him if he ever decided to sell, I wanted it!

Beyond the fantastic looks, this 914 had some very unique features including 911/914-6 suspension and brakes, 914-6 steering column and ignition switch, and factory steel flares. Power came from a supercharged 2.0L with twin plug heads. Not a lot of rust but, having been raced in the '80s (with a -6), the chassis has some scars.

I would visit “my car” during the next three years until purchasing it became a serious consideration. Finally, needing money for a real estate deal, my friend offered the car to me at a special “friends” rate – knowing that the 914 was going to someone who would get it back on the road.

I purchased the 914 in September of 2019. After deciding the Weber carb needed to be tossed in favor of a Megasquirt system (this winter's project), I pulled the Raby 2056 from my LE and installed it in the '73. Buttoned things up just in time to head to Amelia Island in March 2020. First time the 914 had been driven more than a few miles in nearly three decades!

DELIVERY
Attached Image

SUPERCHARGED
Attached Image

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)
+Quote Post
Mcraneiowa
post Feb 2 2021, 07:12 AM
Post #25

Member No.: 24,387

I found mine quite by accident. We live about 15 miles south west of Des Moines and on my drive home there was a neighbor down the road that had a Quonset hut with the doors always closed. Always wondered what might be stored in there. One day driving by I saw that the doors were open and noticed tail lights and thought, hey that’s a Porsche. Pulled back around to talk to the farmers wife and asked if I could look over the car and she says yeah. Really wasn’t all that interested in a 914 at the time but didn’t forget about it either. Move ahead two years later to when Covid hit. Was looking for a project to play with, talked with the farmer and ended up with a nice barn find, thankfully with very little rust. Story on the car was, it was bought new by a woman in 1974 in Des Moines and in 76 she sold it to the brother of the guy I bought it from.
It had some rust on the rear half of the floors and just a little bit around the hell hole which I had taken care of. It is a re-spray of the original color which was done about 20 years ago. So far I’ve gone through the engine fixing leaks, new flywheel, clutch, etc. basically if it was in need, I’ve replaced. I have the interior to put back this spring. With way more spent than intended, It now runs and drives well.Attached Image Attached ImageAttached Image
+Quote Post
StarBear
post Feb 2 2021, 08:01 AM
Post #26

Member No.: 10,753
Region Association: North East States

QUOTE(Maltese Falcon @ Feb 1 2021, 05:48 PM) *

@StarBear yessir same car ...decades apart with a few Bolt-ons added (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Great! Now identified six original owners!
+Quote Post
SKL1
post Feb 2 2021, 10:30 PM
Post #27

Member No.: 12,732
Region Association: Upper MidWest

Inherited the car gene (dominant in our family) so interesting cars were always around growing up. A friend of my dad was one of the 50 lucky people to "test" the Chrysler Turbine cars so this high school kid got to drive it.
Wanted a MGB-GT the worst way in high school but my dad was smart enough to not let me have a car until I graduated from college. Once I was accepted to med school he let me get my dream car, either a 2002 or 914. The rest is history- still have the 9/70 production date 1971 914 and it is still going strong after 50 years.

And both my boys (and my 4 year old grandson) also inherited the car gene so it will always be in the family...
+Quote Post
StarBear
post Feb 3 2021, 08:15 AM
Post #28

QUOTE(SKL1 @ Feb 2 2021, 11:30 PM) *

Inherited the car gene (dominant in our family) so interesting cars were always around growing up. A friend of my dad was one of the 50 lucky people to "test" the Chrysler Turbine cars so this high school kid got to drive it.
Wanted a MGB-GT the worst way in high school but my dad was smart enough to not let me have a car until I graduated from college. Once I was accepted to med school he let me get my dream car, either a 2002 or 914. The rest is history- still have the 9/70 production date 1971 914 and it is still going strong after 50 years.

And both my boys (and my 4 year old grandson) also inherited the car gene so it will always be in the family...

Wow! Now up to seven original owners identified. I need to start keeping a log!
@SKL1 , @Dcheek and @Anderssj : FYI!
+Quote Post
ClayPerrine
post Feb 3 2021, 03:00 PM
Post #29

Life's been good to me so far.....

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,143

Mine was not "The right 914 came along" but "The right woman came along" story.

In 1985, I bought a 1979 Porsche 924. And I decided to go Auto crossing. The 914 had been a bit abused, and had some issues. But I wanted to go anyway.

On November 17th, 1985 (It was a Sunday), I got up early to go to the SCCA Autocross at Fair Park in Dallas. I was supposed to go with a couple of friends, but they were both too hung over to get out of bed. So I went alone.

When I got there, I saw this little orange car that I knew nothing about. Turns out it was a 914, and it was driven by a gorgeous woman. And man could she drive! I kept bugging her during the event, and at the end I asked her out.

On November 19, 1988, I married her. @Betty (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wub.gif)

We have been happily married for 33 years now. I sold the 924 years ago. We still have her 914, and two others.

So that is how I got lucky and found 914s, and the love of my life.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving-girl.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wub.gif)
+Quote Post
mgp4591
post Feb 3 2021, 06:35 PM
Post #30

914 Guru

Member No.: 14,748
Region Association: Intermountain Region

QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Feb 3 2021, 02:00 PM) *

In 1985, I bought a 1979 Porsche 924. And I decided to go Auto crossing. The 914 had been a bit abused, and had some issues. But I wanted to go anyway.

On November 17th, 1985 (It was a Sunday), I got up early to go to the SCCA Autocross at Fair Park in Dallas. I was supposed to go with a couple of friends, but they were both too hung over to get out of bed. So I went alone.

When I got there, I saw this little orange car that I knew nothing about. Turns out it was a 914, and it was driven by a gorgeous woman. And man could she drive! I kept bugging her during the event, and at the end I asked her out.

On November 19, 1988, I married her. @Betty (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wub.gif)

We have been happily married for 33 years now. I sold the 924 years ago. We still have her 914, and two others.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving-girl.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wub.gif)

Now THAT'S a love story! Whereas my wife is still learning to love mine and she married me 1 1/2 years ago knowing that I was deep into my project. May you have many more years with your loves!
+Quote Post
StarBear
post Feb 3 2021, 08:00 PM
Post #31

QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Feb 3 2021, 04:00 PM) *

Great story!! Bound to be a classic, for sure. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/first.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wub.gif)
+Quote Post
wonkipop
post Feb 4 2021, 03:41 AM
Post #32

Advanced Member

Member No.: 24,231

QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Feb 3 2021, 03:00 PM) *

can't top that story.

i love texas, i went there repeatedly to escape chicago.
went to houston, as my base and went up to dallas/fort worth twice.
89-90.
its a great place.

i still keep in contact with the girl who took me there.
+Quote Post
barnfind9141972
post Feb 4 2021, 06:31 PM
Post #33

Member No.: 24,976
Region Association: Southern California

Mine started as well with a woman. I started working at a Porsche dealership at 18 and the first 914 I drove was an early 4 cylinder that I absolutely adored. Being a huge Porsche and air cooled fanatic I worked through the ranks to a sales person and then we needed reinforcements at our other dealership so I went to work there for Audi. Wasn’t the same but the love of my life walked in one day and the rest is history. A few months in she let me know of an Oregon property she had that her mother lived in and a 1972 914 that was stored there. Originally bought new by her uncle in 1972 and driven until the late 90’s and parked in Oregon in 2000. This year during COVID the property was sold and the 914 was trailered back to California. Always titled in California, always in the family, and now my wife has given me the 914 as a wedding gift and currently restoring now. The least amount of rust I’ve seen, and the best part is she’s letting me do it how I want while keeping it semi original enjoys all the work to getting it perfect and ready for us to enjoy. 2258 going in soon and fresh paint. My 914 also came with a better gift which was my wife (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif)

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Steve
post Feb 4 2021, 08:13 PM
Post #34

914 Guru

Member No.: 822
Region Association: Southern California

In the late 70’s i had a 71 1.7 that we upgraded to a 2.4 four. It got totaled in a rear end collision and the 2.4 motor was not reliable, so I sold it. Then back to college in the mid 80’s and after reading Marty’s (MSDS) articles in VW Porsche magazine i decided I had to have a six. After I graduated in 1986 my room mate heard me talk about how awesome 914’s were. He put a down pay on one and then changed his mind and wanted a TR4 instead. He couldn’t get his down payment back, so I took a look at it and ended up buying it.
It was a 75 stock 2.0. I immediately started collecting six parts and a year later it was 2.7 six conversion using a MSDS cross bar motor mount, headers and muffler. I met my future wife cruising the avenue in this car in 1989. We now have 3 grown up kids and I still have the 914. Check my blog for more information and pictures.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
pfreiburger
post Feb 6 2021, 11:56 AM
Post #35

Member No.: 24,738

QUOTE(Mcraneiowa @ Feb 2 2021, 07:12 AM) *

I found mine quite by accident. We live about 15 miles south west of Des Moines and on my drive home there was a neighbor down the road that had a Quonset hut with the doors always closed. Always wondered what might be stored in there. One day driving by I saw that the doors were open and noticed tail lights and thought, hey that’s a Porsche. Pulled back around to talk to the farmers wife and asked if I could look over the car and she says yeah. Really wasn’t all that interested in a 914 at the time but didn’t forget about it either. Move ahead two years later to when Covid hit. Was looking for a project to play with, talked with the farmer and ended up with a nice barn find, thankfully with very little rust. Story on the car was, it was bought new by a woman in 1974 in Des Moines and in 76 she sold it to the brother of the guy I bought it from.
It had some rust on the rear half of the floors and just a little bit around the hell hole which I had taken care of. It is a re-spray of the original color which was done about 20 years ago. So far I’ve gone through the engine fixing leaks, new flywheel, clutch, etc. basically if it was in need, I’ve replaced. I have the interior to put back this spring. With way more spent than intended, It now runs and drives well.Attached Image Attached ImageAttached Image

Nice work, beautiful car!
+Quote Post
pfreiburger
post Feb 6 2021, 12:01 PM
Post #36

It took me almost exactly a year to find the car I wanted. I had been thinking about getting a 914 for a number of years when suddenly and unexpectedly, I lost my wife in June of 2019. With the realization of just how short life can be, I got serious about finding a 914 late that year. After a year of looking I had resigned myself to a long road trip or having to have a car shipped across country, a scary proposition. I was not interested in a car that needed a restoration and everything I was finding nearby was pretty scruffy.

Then the last week of the year a 1973 (my 1st choice for year) came up for sale on eBay; super clean, unmolested and just about as rust free as a used car can get - AND it was in driving distance. I contacted the seller and he provided a massive number of pictures that showed everything on the car, especially the underside. We agreed on a price and on December 31st I drove down with my son to pick up the car. As the roads were clean & dry, I drove it home. The 100-mile return trip showed that although it needed a couple of small things, it is a great car. It even shifts nice. I exceeded my original budget by a bunch, but it was a good call.

When spring comes I plan on driving it through the summer and then next fall, being a 1.7, it will go into my shop for a power infusion.
Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
Cairo94507
post Feb 6 2021, 12:36 PM
Post #37

Michael

Member No.: 9,712
Region Association: Northern California

@pfreiburger - (IMG:style_emoticons/default/welcome.png) That's a great looking '73. What are you going to "infuse" it with? A nice Porsche 6 cylinder motor?
+Quote Post
pfreiburger
post Feb 6 2021, 04:49 PM
Post #38

Thanks! Yes, my plan is for a 911 2.7. I know this sounds crazy, but I have actually been collecting parts for the conversion - before I got the car. Looks like you have the much coveted genuine version, yes?
+Quote Post
BillC
post Feb 6 2021, 05:47 PM
Post #39

Member No.: 18,667
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Both of my 914s were purchase through this site. But, the stories involved aren't nearly as exciting as those posted above.

My first 914 was a Saturn Yellow 1.7, purchased from Ohio in 2015. My wife and I decided to make an overnight trip to inspect, purchase and then drive home the "new" car. We drove out in her 2011 BMW 335Xi, since she was going to have to drive it back and wanted to be comfortable. She followed me home, thinking the antique car was the one likely to have problems. Little did she know. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif) We made it all the way back to Rockville, MD, and then her car died -- we had just gotten off the highway and when the light changed, I pulled away and she didn't. By the time I turned around and got back to her, she was pounding on the steering wheel in frustration. The factory warranty on her car had expired the previous month, but BMW was willing to send a tow truck out of good will, but it would be 4 hours before it arrived. Fortunately, after about a half-hour of blocking traffic, the car restarted. I had her drive directly to the dealer while I went home, got another car and met her at the dealer to get all of out stuff out of the bimmer. Turns out her electric water pump went bad and cost $2k to fix. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif)

My second 914 is the Alaska Blue "DAPO Special" that you can read about here. Since I had it shipped to MD, there wasn't much drama involved, except for discovering the car had more issues than the seller let on.
+Quote Post
gandalf_025
post Feb 7 2021, 11:19 AM
Post #40

Member No.: 10,509

August 1972 I was 17 and told my parents I wanted to buy a new 750 Honda.
Parents were not impressed and said "why don't you go buy a nice car instead".
I already had 2 cars.. A 1968 Ford LTD and a 1966 MGB.. I didn't want another car..

A few months later I decided to press the point and decided to stop in at the local Porsche Dealership.
My dad had bought VW's from them for years, so I knew the owner of the Dealership.
I walked in around mid October and was looking around at new 911's and quickly decided I couldn't afford one.
At that moment a Salesman walked over and asked if he could help me.
I'm sure he knew I was WAY over my head but he asked anyway..
Trying to not look like an idiot kid and save what little dignity I had.. I said..
Yeah, I want to buy a new 914-6..
Since I had subscriptions to Road and Track and Car and Driver, I knew there were no new 914-6's being made then.
So the salesman tells me they weren't in production anymore and I say.. Oh, well...
that's what I wanted and quickly made my way to the door to escape.
Then he asked the question that changed everything...
He said.. We just took one back on trade the other day, 23,000 miles..
would you like to see it..??
I'd never seen one in person, so I said sure. As soon as I heard it, I was hooked..
Took 6 months of going back and forth of wanting to buy it and then not before deciding on passing on it.
Fast forward to the evening of April 24th 1973..
My girlfriend and I were driving through Lawrence Mass. and I decided to drive past the Dealership, out of curiosity.
I parked across the street and looked to see the parking space for the 6 was empty
and I was relieved because it was over now.
Then I heard it..
Coming down the street and it pulled back into it's parking space and 2 guys got out of it.
Salesman was passenger and some other guy driving.
They got out of the car and reached across the roof and shook hands.
That's when I realized I was watching the car being sold.
At that moment I looked into the showroom and saw the owner walking through.
I jumped out of my car and ran across the street, into the showroom and
Said Hi to the Owner and he recognized me.. Then I said..
Get that guy away from my car.. He looked out the window and said..
Are you sure..?? I said YES, I'll be back in the Morning with my dad to sign the papers..
Then I had to go home and tell my dad what I did.
The next morning, we went to the Dealership and bought it. April 25th 1973.

Still have it and the same girl.. 48 years later..

So it took me about 6 months.
+Quote Post

3 Pages V < 1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th June 2024 - 03:27 AM