Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V < 1 2 3  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> How long did you have to wait for the right 914?, Tell your story
Cairo94507
post Feb 7 2021, 12:29 PM
Post #41

Michael

Group: Members
Member No.: 9,712
Region Association: Northern California

@pfreiburger - Yup. Although my car (sadly) had the original 6 motor replaced back in the late 70's/early 80's with a 3.0 and owner number 2 saw no reason to keep the original motor. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/ar15.gif) I replaced that 3.0 with an '87 3.2.

I do have an original '71 914-6 engine case, 20 numbers off my original case number, in my attic. But I knew I wanted to drive my 6 and the stock 2.0 6 cylinder at 110 HP sounds great but just would not have the HP/torque to make me happy. So 3.2 with Motronic, 964 cams, Wong custom chip, Ben's SS heat exchangers and muffler and I am at about 240 HP considering it was 217 stock. At least that's what I have been told. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
pfreiburger
post Feb 7 2021, 02:05 PM
Post #42

Member No.: 24,738
Region Association: None

QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Feb 7 2021, 12:29 PM) *

@pfreiburger - Yup. Although my car (sadly) had the original 6 motor replaced back in the late 70's/early 80's with a 3.0 and owner number 2 saw no reason to keep the original motor. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/ar15.gif) I replaced that 3.0 with an '87 3.2.

I do have an original '71 914-6 engine case, 20 numbers off my original case number, in my attic. But I knew I wanted to drive my 6 and the stock 2.0 6 cylinder at 110 HP sounds great but just would not have the HP/torque to make me happy. So 3.2 with Motronic, 964 cams, Wong custom chip, Ben's SS heat exchangers and muffler and I am at about 240 HP considering it was 217 stock. At least that's what I have been told. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

Nice! I bet 240 hp in a 914 works REALLY well.
+Quote Post
Maltese Falcon
post Feb 7 2021, 09:25 PM
Post #43

Advanced Member

Member No.: 2,755

QUOTE(Steve @ Feb 4 2021, 06:13 PM) *

In the late 70’s i had a 71 1.7 that we upgraded to a 2.4 four. It got totaled in a rear end collision and the 2.4 motor was not reliable, so I sold it. Then back to college in the mid 80’s and after reading Marty’s (MSDS) articles in VW Porsche magazine i decided I had to have a six. After I graduated in 1986 my room mate heard me talk about how awesome 914’s were. He put a down pay on one and then changed his mind and wanted a TR4 instead. He couldn’t get his down payment back, so I took a look at it and ended up buying it.
It was a 75 stock 2.0. I immediately started collecting six parts and a year later it was 2.7 six conversion using a MSDS cross bar motor mount, headers and muffler. I met my future wife cruising the avenue in this car in 1989. We now have 3 grown up kids and I still have the 914. Check my blog for more information and pictures.

Steve thank you for being one of my earliest clients ! I enjoyed all those drives over to the Argus Publishing offices in WLA and hanging out with Jay Amestoy, Greg Brown, Les Bidrawn (photography).When I first met Greg at VW&Porsche (became European Car) , the photographer was Steve Reyes; drag strip photographer extraordinaire (check out his amazing work online). They usually insisted on a ride-along in the 914...and Veteran Ave got heated up a bit (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

+Quote Post
Rufus
post Feb 8 2021, 12:54 AM
Post #44

Member No.: 5,840

My story isn’t awesome like those involving girlfriends / future wives, etc. But it might compete for honors in the “why the heck did it take so long?!?” category.

In the mid-late ‘80’s while driving at night on an urban interstate, a 914 passed me at a pretty high speed, then braked hard to take the upcoming hairpin exit. That planted the idea of a hotrod 914/6. (Had to be real -6.)

In early 2004 I (foolishly ... you’ll see) bought a 914/6 rolling chassis sight unseen from an individual I trusted after just recently buying a ‘67 911S from him. Then life got in the way big time while the rolling chassis waited at Rothsport.

When things finally resolved in 2018, I bought ...
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?act...20&t=331888

The idea was to combine much of its running gear, suspension, etc. with the 914/6 rolling chassis. I flew to the west coast and drove it to Rothsport. Because of the distance involved (San Francisco to Oregon) and driving an unfamiliar car, I chose to just cruise along calmly and not tempt fate.

Another major setback appeared early last year after stripping the rolling chassis ... severely rusted ...
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?act...=2&t=349520

At age 70 I decided not to pursue a lengthy project, and to buy this 914/6 instead when it appeared last summer ...
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?act...20&t=346147

So the 914/6 rolling chassis was sold in November, and the ‘74 -6 conversion rolling chassis is for sale ...
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?act...20&t=347745

After waiting 30+ years, how do I like driving a 1970 914/6 (w/ 2.7l RS spec engine)? By now I’ve owned “two and a half” 914/6’s for a total of almost 20 years. (To be fair, I have enjoyed a number of fun cars / projects during my “wait” ... a 944T, a 911 Turbo, rebuilding / restoring two 1960’s Corvettes, building an ERA Cobra, etc, etc.)

But the answer is ... I.still.don’t.know. After spending 4-5 months at Rothsport for work I commissioned, the 1970 914/6 is in North Carolina. I’ve waited more than 2 months for the NC DMV to process my title and registration thanks to Covid (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif).

Still waiting :/ ...

Bob
+Quote Post
SavingManuals
post Feb 19 2021, 01:30 PM
Post #45

Member No.: 25,044

Great stories and pics...keep 'em coming!

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif)
+Quote Post

3 Pages V < 1 2 3
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th June 2024 - 03:30 AM