Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Finally getting started, 75 1.8 resto
Planeswalker33
post Feb 19 2021, 03:22 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 24,319
Region Association: Southern California

I've finally made some progress on my 914 (1975 1.8) I picked up early last summer. Pulled the old gas tank and just received the new SS fuel lines from Tangerine. Spent last weekend making some cribbing blocks and lifting the car so I had easier/better access to underneath. I'm really happy with the condition of the car now that I'm able to get a better look. Very limited on rust and in really good working condition from what I can tell.

All that being said I pretty much have no clue what I'm doing so this has been a pretty fun adventure. The car was my Mother-in-law's and has been sitting in her garage for over a decade. She says said she was going to store it for a year or two in the garage and then bring it out once it was grandfathered into some emissions standards or something. I'm going to try and get started on the fuel lines this weekend and hopefully get the tank and fuel pump done as well.

Next steps for the next week:
1. Fuel Lines
2. Fuel Pump
3. Tank

After that I wanted to get the vacuum hoses replaced. I have not had that much fun trying to figure what I need on this so it will take a little more research. It seems like people are happy with the kits from AutoAtlanta. It doesn't look like that comes with clamps or the 19mm hose so I'll make sure to get those as well. Is there better or different hoses I should be looking at?

I also got some Marvel Mystery Oil as recommended. I'm going to research that and try and figure out how to turn it over to make sure things are free before I move forward on a whole lot else. Again being new to this I'm open to any guides or instructions/videos as I have no clue where to start.

I'll keep digging through the threads! I'm totally blown away by the amount of info tucked away everywhere. Adding some pics I've taken so far.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Planeswalker33
post Feb 19 2021, 03:27 PM
Post #2

Here's some pictures so far. I've got all four wheels up finally now as well.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
ndfrigi
post Feb 19 2021, 03:27 PM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 13,474

Welcome to 914world!
Looks like you have Ljet fuel injection since it is a 75 1.8.
Lots of 914 owners here in SoCal.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
ValcoOscar
post Feb 19 2021, 04:00 PM
Post #4

Garage Life

Member No.: 16,669

QUOTE(ndfrigi @ Feb 19 2021, 01:27 PM) *

Welcome to 914world!

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) but Southern California is rather large @ 56,000 Square miles. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/huh.gif)

Where about are you?

O
+Quote Post
Big Len
post Feb 19 2021, 04:08 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 16,126
Region Association: Southwest Region

Nice car and best of luck !!
Your mother-in-laws??? You married the right girl.
+Quote Post
Cairo94507
post Feb 19 2021, 04:35 PM
Post #6

Michael

Member No.: 9,712
Region Association: Northern California

Nice looking car. I would definitely replace all fluids, engine, transaxle, brake and fuel. I would have the brake calipers rebuilt by PMB in Utah. Replace the tires. I would clean and check all of the electrical grounds on the car- there are quite a few. I would replace the fuel filter. Pull the plugs and squirt a couple shots of Marvel into the cylinders and let it sit overnight. Do that a couple of times. Then put the car in 5th gear and rock it a bit to see if the engine is turning over. If it is, put it in neutral and turn it over with the key. With fresh fuel, put plugs back in and see if it starts. Have a fire extinguisher handy and do this outside-not in the garage. Good luck and have fun. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
930cabman
post Feb 19 2021, 05:36 PM
Post #7

Advanced Member

Member No.: 24,877
Region Association: North East States

java script:emoticon(':wttc:','smid_64')

Great project and great helpers.
+Quote Post
Root_Werks
post Feb 19 2021, 06:26 PM
Post #8

Village Idiot

Member No.: 2,105
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Nice! What a great start into the 914 world.
+Quote Post
Planeswalker33
post Feb 19 2021, 11:46 PM
Post #9

QUOTE(ValcoOscar @ Feb 19 2021, 02:00 PM) *

QUOTE(ndfrigi @ Feb 19 2021, 01:27 PM) *

Welcome to 914world!

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) but Southern California is rather large @ 56,000 Square miles. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/huh.gif)

Where about are you?

O

Yorba Linda just off the 91
+Quote Post
Planeswalker33
post Feb 19 2021, 11:47 PM
Post #10

QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Feb 19 2021, 02:35 PM) *

Nice looking car. I would definitely replace all fluids, engine, transaxle, brake and fuel. I would have the brake calipers rebuilt by PMB in Utah. Replace the tires. I would clean and check all of the electrical grounds on the car- there are quite a few. I would replace the fuel filter. Pull the plugs and squirt a couple shots of Marvel into the cylinders and let it sit overnight. Do that a couple of times. Then put the car in 5th gear and rock it a bit to see if the engine is turning over. If it is, put it in neutral and turn it over with the key. With fresh fuel, put plugs back in and see if it starts. Have a fire extinguisher handy and do this outside-not in the garage. Good luck and have fun. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

Well this makes me feel good. This is pretty much what I was thinking. Thanks for the reply it definitely makes me feel a bit better about diving in on this.
+Quote Post
914Sixer
post Feb 20 2021, 12:27 PM
Post #11

914 Guru

Member No.: 3,457
Region Association: Southwest Region

Do the NEW HOSES before start up, the 1.8 engine is vacuum sensitive. Check the seal on the oil filler neck too. Suggest you get DR 914 book of 700 tips.
+Quote Post
jhynesrockmtn
post Feb 20 2021, 01:24 PM
Post #12

Member No.: 20,100
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Having just gone through this on a 1970 that had been sitting for a long time but did run, barely, here is my two cents. I'll try not to repeat too much;

I agree with the PMB suggestion for rebuilt calipers. I'd add do the soft lines. Mine were completely plugged in the rear when I removed them. I only had front brakes. I'd also buy the pressure regulator from PMB and do the MC as well. Check the rotors for thickness and make sure they are true. Might as well be safe and have all new brakes.

Do the rubber fuel hoses in addition to the vacuum lines. The rubber may look fine but after all these years it won't be.

Trans shifter bushings. You need to be in the tunnel and remove some of this stuff anyway, might as well do those. Mine were literally dust.

Have fun, looks like a great project!
+Quote Post
Planeswalker33
post Feb 24 2021, 04:58 PM
Post #13

QUOTE(jhynesrockmtn @ Feb 20 2021, 11:24 AM) *

Having just gone through this on a 1970 that had been sitting for a long time but did run, barely, here is my two cents. I'll try not to repeat too much;

I agree with the PMB suggestion for rebuilt calipers. I'd add do the soft lines. Mine were completely plugged in the rear when I removed them. I only had front brakes. I'd also buy the pressure regulator from PMB and do the MC as well. Check the rotors for thickness and make sure they are true. Might as well be safe and have all new brakes.

Do the rubber fuel hoses in addition to the vacuum lines. The rubber may look fine but after all these years it won't be.

Trans shifter bushings. You need to be in the tunnel and remove some of this stuff anyway, might as well do those. Mine were literally dust.

Have fun, looks like a great project!

Good idea on the shifter bearings. I’m going to a pretty solid overhaul of the break system once I get it running. I’ve got the fuel lines all pulled and am hoping to get the stainless lines installed tonight along with all new hoses.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 12:43 AM