Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> oil leak, no significant drips in the garage or driveway before this trip
DRPHIL914
post May 16 2021, 07:15 PM
Post #1

Dr. Phil

Group: Members
Member No.: 11,106
Region Association: South East States

Ok i just got back from Florida, first trip with rebuilt transmission and new muffler. so i guess i am around 750 miles on that trip, 1500 since last oil change and looks like i was 1/2 quart down. motor has 60k miles total on it. motor and transmission were all out 3 years ago during the time the car was getting repainted. i had a front seal leak and replaced it along with all the push rod tube seals. i did have a slight leak from the oil filter adaptor for the Aux oil cooler, which was taken care of last time i did the change and that was about 4-5 months ago.
it looks to be coming from the area of the oil pump or maybe the front seal again? i am posting a couple pictures too but i might have to scope this, best i could do for. ow with cell phone. i only found this as i got home a few hours before and was just doing a quick check and was going to work on making the new valance, noticed some marks on under side of the muffler, looks like oil drips being blown back onto the muffler.... anyway kind of sucks ans i don’t have time to drop the whole bit before Amelia and Werks reunion on Friday.

any thoughts would be appreciated

Phil

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
914forme
post May 16 2021, 08:27 PM
Post #2

Times a wastin', get wrenchin'!

Member No.: 2,388
Region Association: None

Oil pump, front main seal, check oil pressure switch or the extension hose, filter console seal, oil air separator, loads of oil leak spots on the front of the engine.

Last one I had was the oil pressure switch. It was leaking between the metal base and plastic top.
+Quote Post
DRPHIL914
post May 17 2021, 06:13 AM
Post #3

Dr. Phil

QUOTE(914forme @ May 16 2021, 10:27 PM) *

Oil pump, front main seal, check oil pressure switch or the extension hose, filter console seal, oil air separator, loads of oil leak spots on the front of the engine.

Last one I had was the oil pressure switch. It was leaking between the metal base and plastic top.

if its the oil pump seal can i pull that and put a new seal in without pulling motor?

@914forme
+Quote Post
Mark Henry
post May 17 2021, 12:39 PM
Post #4

that's what I do!

Member No.: 26
Region Association: Canada

QUOTE(DRPHIL914 @ May 17 2021, 08:13 AM) *

if its the oil pump seal can i pull that and put a new seal in without pulling motor?

@914forme

Yes and no (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Yes you can do it in car PITA, but it's easier to drop the engine/trans as a unit.
Figure out where it's leaking first.
+Quote Post
DRPHIL914
post May 17 2021, 12:42 PM
Post #5

Dr. Phil

QUOTE(Mark Henry @ May 17 2021, 02:39 PM) *

QUOTE(DRPHIL914 @ May 17 2021, 08:13 AM) *

@914forme

Yes and no (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Yes you can do it in car PITA, but it's easier to drop the engine/trans as a unit.
Figure out where it's leaking first.

thats kind of what i figured, the other question would be, should i put in a new pump while there then or not? i have had the car 12 years, and in all the records i have there is no history of it being changed. Capt. Crusty said failure was rare ...
+Quote Post
AZBanks
post May 17 2021, 04:01 PM
Post #6

Member No.: 5,245
Region Association: Southwest Region

I have an oil leak from the front of my engine as well. I am about to drop the engine to find it and fix it. My engine is a 1.8 replacement with unknown history.

I want it to be as leak free as possible when I put it back in the car. What should I replace on the front of the engine to prevent leaks in the future?

Is a "if it ain't leaking, don't touch it" approach better or a "replace all the old seals" better or should I deal with specific seals individually?
+Quote Post
Big Len
post May 17 2021, 04:46 PM
Post #7

Member No.: 16,126

Oil cooler seals.
+Quote Post
Morph914
post May 17 2021, 07:00 PM
Post #8

Member No.: 20,326

Wow! Sorry to see this Phil. I hope you are able to easily fix it. It’s tough to see all that burnt oil on your beautiful muffler..
+Quote Post
DRPHIL914
post May 18 2021, 08:13 AM
Post #9

Dr. Phil

QUOTE(Morph914 @ May 17 2021, 09:00 PM) *

Wow! Sorry to see this Phil. I hope you are able to easily fix it. It’s tough to see all that burnt oil on your beautiful muffler..

@Morph914

well its a bummer. i got under the car last night, jacked it up and got a scope up there some but then the battery died, but before that i was able to see that its not coming down from the main seal which i replaced 2 years ago, so its not that.
and something up higher than the oil pump too but it is seeping from that so i have seals coming, but the oil cooler seals were new 2 years ago as well and i was leak free for 2 years , i do think its coming from the oil cooler so i am going to see if i can get at those to torque them if needed and then start the while up in the air and see if the building up of some oil pressure will reveal the location of the leak, i cleaned it all very good with some brake cleaner so its dry as a bone now.

i am thinking that if i do the oil pump seal i can put the jack with tangerine racing plate to hold the motor while i remove the engine mount bar, and pull the oil pump and replace the seals. Should this seal get anything applied to it or should it be installed dry?

+Quote Post
DRPHIL914
post May 18 2021, 08:17 AM
Post #10

Dr. Phil

QUOTE(Big Len @ May 17 2021, 06:46 PM) *

Oil cooler seals.

it may be- those seals were new just 2 years ago but could be its just not tight enough? its been a while ago just a slight drip , and i thought at the time it was the oil pressure relief valve seal but its not, its coming from above and running down to that point,
i can see up into the area around the main shaft and that really looks dry at the main front seal, so that just leaves the oil cooler or up higher at the pressure switch,

+Quote Post
DRPHIL914
post May 18 2021, 08:21 AM
Post #11

Dr. Phil

QUOTE(AZBanks @ May 17 2021, 06:01 PM) *

I have an oil leak from the front of my engine as well. I am about to drop the engine to find it and fix it. My engine is a 1.8 replacement with unknown history.

I want it to be as leak free as possible when I put it back in the car. What should I replace on the front of the engine to prevent leaks in the future?

Is a "if it ain't leaking, don't touch it" approach better or a "replace all the old seals" better or should I deal with specific seals individually?

replace all the seals - front main seal so pull the impeller housing and fan, pully etc, do that seal. mine was a mess 2 years ago, but at that time i did the cooler seals but i didnt do the oil cooler seal at that time and i should have. so do the oil cooler and pump and check the oil galley plugs too.
chances are you are leaking at the front seal those are the biggest cause of leak up front.

+Quote Post
AZBanks
post May 31 2021, 01:11 PM
Post #12

Member No.: 5,245

I can not find a supplier for the oil pump gasket.

Spoke too soon, Sierra Madre has them.
+Quote Post
Krieger
post May 31 2021, 02:01 PM
Post #13

Advanced Member

Member No.: 2,104
Region Association: None

Check the top of the engine where the oil filler clips into the case. I have changed that rectangular cork gasket twice in the last 20 years. It gets hard then leaks. The top of the motor will be grungy or wet there. It's a pretty easy job if that is the cause.
+Quote Post
DRPHIL914
post May 31 2021, 06:45 PM
Post #14

Dr. Phil

QUOTE(AZBanks @ May 31 2021, 03:11 PM) *

I can not find a supplier for the oil pump gasket.

Spoke too soon, Sierra Madre has them.

this is what it was the oil pump, and tightened up the bolts got the leak to stop, LN and the type4 store has the modified pumps and the seals too
+Quote Post
DRPHIL914
post May 31 2021, 06:46 PM
Post #15

Dr. Phil

QUOTE(Krieger @ May 31 2021, 04:01 PM) *

Check the top of the engine where the oil filler clips into the case. I have changed that rectangular cork gasket twice in the last 20 years. It gets hard then leaks. The top of the motor will be grungy or wet there. It's a pretty easy job if that is the cause.

it was the oil pump seal, but now i have bigger issues, loosened valve seat on #3 intake- now looking for a set of LN 2.0 heads....
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 08:45 PM