Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Does anyone read plugs anymore?, old timers only
930cabman
post Sep 20 2021, 05:37 PM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 24,877
Region Association: North East States

It seems like yesterday, but I recall running an engine at WOT for a short time, cutting off the power and coasting to a stop. These days we have air/fuel readers fed information from 02 sensors, with mapping, blah, blah. I suppose some of us older guys have gotten up to speed with tech, but not this guy. Our recent 914 purchase had previously received a Holley 2V carb conversion. It was starting/running decent, but pulled the engine to repair a bad oil leak. The front (hub) seal was loose in the case, so it seems as though I found the oil leak and also decided to pull the plugs for a quick clean. I was pleasantly surprised to find all the plugs a light tan color.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
914e
post Sep 20 2021, 05:57 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 23,951
Region Association: Southwest Region

QUOTE(930cabman @ Sep 20 2021, 04:37 PM) *

It seems like yesterday, but I recall running an engine at WOT for a short time, cutting off the power and coasting to a stop. These days we have air/fuel readers fed information from 02 sensors, with mapping, blah, blah. I suppose some of us older guys have gotten up to speed with tech, but not this guy. Our recent 914 purchase had previously received a Holley 2V carb conversion. It was starting/running decent, but pulled the engine to repair a bad oil leak. The front (hub) seal was loose in the case, so it seems as though I found the oil leak and also decided to pull the plugs for a quick clean. I was pleasantly surprised to find all the plugs a light tan color.

Computer engine control has around 40 years now
(hard to believe time flies). I'm sure any mechanic that doesn't have gray hair may have never seen anything but a perfect burn. Maybe points, carburetors, and mechanical fuel injection caused the gray hairs.

I still tell my kids they caused it, I didn't have gray hair before they existed, ever since they were born I am grayer every year.
+Quote Post
930cabman
post Sep 20 2021, 06:02 PM
Post #3

Advanced Member

QUOTE(914e @ Sep 20 2021, 05:57 PM) *

QUOTE(930cabman @ Sep 20 2021, 04:37 PM) *

Computer engine control has around 40 years now
(hard to believe time flies). I'm sure any mechanic that doesn't have gray hair may have never seen anything but a perfect burn. Maybe points, carburetors, and mechanical fuel injection caused the gray hairs.

I still tell my kids they caused it, I didn't have gray hair before they existed, ever since they were born I am grayer every year.

Have any grandkids added to the snow on the roof?
+Quote Post
tom.esh
post Sep 20 2021, 06:14 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 17,083

Oh thanks. Now I'm an old guy. Just pulled the plug on a 4 wheeler to see how it looked after a carb rebuild.
+Quote Post
Rand
post Sep 20 2021, 07:30 PM
Post #5

Cross Member

Member No.: 3,573
Region Association: None

No matter the engine control, plug reading never lies. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
windforfun
post Sep 20 2021, 08:40 PM
Post #6

Member No.: 8,476

QUOTE(Rand @ Sep 20 2021, 06:30 PM) *

No matter the engine control, plug reading never lies. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)
+Quote Post
Rand
post Sep 20 2021, 09:03 PM
Post #7

Cross Member

All current competitive racers still read plugs!

of course these days, everyone wants to just run their transportation thoughtlessly and never do anything except refuel and only because they have to, or use an app to try and find the nearest plugin
+Quote Post
930cabman
post Sep 21 2021, 12:28 PM
Post #8

Advanced Member

Thanks for the replies, my gut was telling me the old tried/true method still works.

This works for the main circuit, how about the idle/transition circuits?
+Quote Post
Rand
post Sep 21 2021, 03:43 PM
Post #9

Cross Member

QUOTE(930cabman @ Sep 21 2021, 11:28 AM) *

Thanks for the replies, my gut was telling me the old tried/true method still works.

This works for the main circuit, how about the idle/transition circuits?

I jested, but it's really time to move on past carbs to fi. We will still read plugs together!
+Quote Post
930cabman
post Sep 21 2021, 04:25 PM
Post #10

Advanced Member

Might be a task to get this old dog to change, but I am considering either twin Webers or cobbling together a L jet system from several boxes of parts. I know the carbs will work, and I have many concerns with 50 years old parts/sensors/ECU/...
+Quote Post
porschetub
post Sep 22 2021, 04:57 PM
Post #11

Advanced Member

Member No.: 18,995

QUOTE(930cabman @ Sep 22 2021, 10:25 AM) *

Might be a task to get this old dog to change, but I am considering either twin Webers or cobbling together a L jet system from several boxes of parts. I know the carbs will work, and I have many concerns with 50 years old parts/sensors/ECU/...

L-jet is fine as not too much to go wrong,ecu's seem to be pretty robust but the real issue that comes up is the AFM which can be worn out and the air gate (flap) sticks up ,appears to be a few reman units around for reasonable money however.
FI looms suffer with the heat but can be repaired,my next build will be with L-jet and I have otherwise good parts except for the AFM which is the reason the last owner of the system went to carbs.
Its a good system IMO problem it just came with a really gutless motor (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif) ,the fact you can bore and stroke the motor and not change the system is good.
+Quote Post
930cabman
post Sep 23 2021, 05:52 PM
Post #12

Advanced Member

QUOTE(porschetub @ Sep 22 2021, 04:57 PM) *

QUOTE(930cabman @ Sep 22 2021, 10:25 AM) *

L-jet is fine as not too much to go wrong,ecu's seem to be pretty robust but the real issue that comes up is the AFM which can be worn out and the air gate (flap) sticks up ,appears to be a few reman units around for reasonable money however.
FI looms suffer with the heat but can be repaired,my next build will be with L-jet and I have otherwise good parts except for the AFM which is the reason the last owner of the system went to carbs.
Its a good system IMO problem it just came with a really gutless motor (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif) ,the fact you can bore and stroke the motor and not change the system is good.

The consensus here is FI, almost exclusively. I probably have three boxes full of D jet and L jet parts from a few parts cars and are semi considering going with an L jet on a current build. Several years ago an '85 Alfa spider came my way and I fought with it's L jet system until I finally ditched it and went with twin Weber 40 DCOE's. Still running great. In a couple hours I can have this current build running with twin Weber 40 IDF's, but I sense it will take weeks or more if I attempt L jet.
+Quote Post
roblav1
post Sep 23 2021, 06:57 PM
Post #13

Member No.: 14,943
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

I'm one of those old dogs... been reading plugs since 1974. Even though I put 46 PMO's on my GT build, I'd still recommend sticking with FI in yours.
+Quote Post
Superhawk996
post Sep 24 2021, 06:40 AM
Post #14

914 Guru

Member No.: 22,428
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

QUOTE(930cabman @ Sep 23 2021, 07:52 PM) *

In a couple hours I can have this current build running with twin Weber 40 IDF's, but I sense it will take weeks or more if I attempt L jet.

@930cabman
And you could take the easy way out and be driving a Boxter too. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/happy11.gif)
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
930cabman
post Sep 24 2021, 12:10 PM
Post #15

Advanced Member

QUOTE(Superhawk996 @ Sep 24 2021, 06:40 AM) *

QUOTE(930cabman @ Sep 23 2021, 07:52 PM) *

In a couple hours I can have this current build running with twin Weber 40 IDF's, but I sense it will take weeks or more if I attempt L jet.

@930cabman
And you could take the easy way out and be driving a Boxter too. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/happy11.gif)

I considered that option several years ago, but have an allergy to computers. My '16 F150 is enough vehicle computer for me. Hence, my hesitation to unbox a bunch of L jet parts and get her running.

BTW: still using a flip phone
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th April 2024 - 08:37 PM