Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Brake Bleeding issues, 'again'
mlindner
post Apr 3 2022, 01:08 PM
Post #21

Group: Members
Member No.: 13,770
Region Association: Upper MidWest

QUOTE(mlindner @ Apr 3 2022, 02:06 PM) *

I had the same problem....after many tries, I applied some compressed air to the top of the brake fluid reservoir. Put a rage around the air nozzle and cap opening. Few pumps later, nice hard peddle. Best, Mark
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
emerygt350
post Apr 3 2022, 02:24 PM
Post #22

Advanced Member

Member No.: 25,740
Region Association: North East States

I find bench bleeding mcs very satisfying. And easy. Haven't had to do it on the 914 yet.

On the positive side, if you are bleeding your brakes all the time your fluid is nice and fresh.
+Quote Post
Van B
post Apr 3 2022, 02:51 PM
Post #23

Member No.: 26,011
Region Association: None

QUOTE(Van B @ Apr 2 2022, 10:36 PM) *

How much pressure in the motive bleeder?

Not sure the OP is coming back, but I’m using 15psi in the motive right now and it’s working like a champ! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif)

I know my 996 manual says to use 15psi, and so does the motive instructions. I saw on Ian’s video he prefers 5psi…. But he also uses soap vs the carcinogenic lubricants I prefer lol (IMG:style_emoticons/default/poke.gif)
+Quote Post
pthughes
post Apr 5 2022, 08:22 PM
Post #24

Member No.: 21,245

I am back..had a golf weekend, had to get away from the car!

Some updates:
Discovered the right front caliper was sticking, couldnt spin the rotor, locked up tight from the pads. So, pulled the caliper, pistons out, cleaned again, etc. Just back on the car, so unk yet how that will turn out.

The Motive I was using first at 5psi, then bumped it to 10psi. Read some worries about going higher.

Did multiple bleeds while tapping the calipers with a hammer, I think this released a few tiny, tiny bubbles

I bench bled the MC while it was in the car, using a video on You Tube from a guy I cant recall! Basically install it, then crack the left front caliper and gently push the pedal to get fluid rolling, until no bubbles. (I did this first, way back)

Saw the post on gently opening the top line on the rear regulator - I have been pondering trying this, although it looks like quite a pain and may require pulling the regulator off the frame to get to the top line.

I am pretty much now going to re-bleed again, and see how that sticky caliper reacts, since there is air in the lines now.

I will circle back after a few more rounds of bleeding.Thanks to all of you, great advice!

+Quote Post
Van B
post Apr 5 2022, 09:41 PM
Post #25

Those wonderful and hugely beneficial videos are by our very own @iankarr

Regarding the motive, I just did my whole car at 15psi no problem. With the exception of your reservoir, the brake system sees waaaaay more pressure than 15psi. So unless you have a leaky res, those “worries” are unfounded IMO.
+Quote Post
iankarr
post Apr 5 2022, 09:49 PM
Post #26

The wrencher formerly known as Cuddy_K

Member No.: 18,749
Region Association: Intermountain Region

Thanks much! Glad you find the videos helpful.
+Quote Post
pthughes
post Apr 6 2022, 07:59 AM
Post #27

Member No.: 21,245

QUOTE(iankarr @ Apr 5 2022, 08:49 PM) *

Thanks much! Glad you find the videos helpful.

I love the videos, watched so many of them. What a resource you have created!
+Quote Post
mgphoto
post Apr 6 2022, 08:32 AM
Post #28

"If there is a mistake it will find me"

Member No.: 10,225
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(pthughes @ Apr 5 2022, 06:22 PM) *

Saw the post on gently opening the top line on the rear regulator - I have been pondering trying this, although it looks like quite a pain and may require pulling the regulator off the frame to get to the top line.

This is actually very simple, with the car jacked up there is lots of room for a wrench, use a line wrench, nothing has to be removed, 5 minute procedure, just messy.
+Quote Post
Superhawk996
post Apr 6 2022, 09:06 AM
Post #29

914 Guru

Member No.: 22,428
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

I've been trying to resist the urge to respond to this thread.

There is no need to be cracking fittings and letting fluid drain on your parts or paint. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/chair.gif)

Here's best practices for brake system design:

1) Master cylinder and reservoir should be the highest point in the system. On this account, VW/Porsche FAILED on the 914. It can be made to work, but as noted it leads to a system that is difficult to bleed. The master cylinder is down in the pedal box area nearly at floor pan level. The rear proportioning valve is well above the floor pan and HIGHER than the master cylinder.

2) Caliper bleed screws MUST be at the top of the caliper. Can't count number of times I've seen people trying to bleed out the bottom bleed screw. Won't work. Just physics air rises.

As former automotive brake engineer:

Use Motive bleeder and vacuum on the bleed screws (Mighty Vac or HF pneumatic vacuum bleeder. You want lots of brake fluid velocity to pull along entrained air bubbles . This is accomplished by having a high pressure differential between inlet and outlet. i.e. pressure over the reservoir combined with vacuum at the bleeder. Again - use physics to your advantage.

Since air rises, jack up the end of the car you're having trouble bleeding. So in case of trying to get air out of the proportioning valve --- get the rear in the air. Rear brake calipers higher than the proportioning valve. That way air will continue to want to rise toward the rear calipers on it's own accord. Once you get the air to the rear calipers it will come out the bleeders. No need for spilling brake fluid.

If you're trying to fill a system that is completely dry for the first time (like after complete MC & hard line replacement), apply vacuum to a caliper bleeder and pull the air out before you try to introduce brake fluid into the system. In the modern OEM plants, this is done as a two part part process called Evac & Fill. System is 1st put under vacuum and leak checked. Then, brake fluid is introduced under pressure. The whole system fills, air free in a matter of seconds. Good bleed every time - at line rate.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Van B
post Apr 6 2022, 09:53 AM
Post #30

QUOTE(Superhawk996 @ Apr 6 2022, 11:06 AM) *

If you're trying to fill a system that is completely dry for the first time (like after complete MC & hard line replacement), apply vacuum to a caliper bleeder and pull the air out before you try to introduce brake fluid into the system. In the modern OEM plants, this is done as a two part part process called Evac & Fill. System is 1st put under vacuum and leak checked. Then, brake fluid is introduced under pressure. The whole system fills, air free in a matter of seconds. Good bleed every time - at line rate.

This right here is what makes the airlift vacuum tool such a prize for refilling coolant! I loooove that thing!

PS: lol at you trying to resist temptation! Buddy, that's like going out with the boys and trying to only have educated and informed conversations... not. gonna. happen!
+Quote Post
ClayPerrine
post Apr 6 2022, 11:25 AM
Post #31

Life's been good to me so far.....

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,143
Region Association: NineFourteenerVille

QUOTE(Superhawk996 @ Apr 6 2022, 10:06 AM) *

I've been trying to resist the urge to respond to this thread.

There is no need to be cracking fittings and letting fluid drain on your parts or paint. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/chair.gif)

Here's best practices for brake system design:

1) Master cylinder and reservoir should be the highest point in the system. On this account, VW/Porsche FAILED on the 914. It can be made to work, but as noted it leads to a system that is difficult to bleed. The master cylinder is down in the pedal box area nearly at floor pan level. The rear proportioning valve is well above the floor pan and HIGHER than the master cylinder.

2) Caliper bleed screws MUST be at the top of the caliper. Can't count number of times I've seen people trying to bleed out the bottom bleed screw. Won't work. Just physics air rises.

As former automotive brake engineer:

Use Motive bleeder and vacuum on the bleed screws (Mighty Vac or HF pneumatic vacuum bleeder. You want lots of brake fluid velocity to pull along entrained air bubbles . This is accomplished by having a high pressure differential between inlet and outlet. i.e. pressure over the reservoir combined with vacuum at the bleeder. Again - use physics to your advantage.

Since air rises, jack up the end of the car you're having trouble bleeding. So in case of trying to get air out of the proportioning valve --- get the rear in the air. Rear brake calipers higher than the proportioning valve. That way air will continue to want to rise toward the rear calipers on it's own accord. Once you get the air to the rear calipers it will come out the bleeders. No need for spilling brake fluid.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)

I will add that a pressure bleeder will make your life infinitely easier.

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/www.allzim.com-1143-1649265926.1.jpeg)

Brake Bleeder tools

It provides the push that will clear the air out of the brake lines. The only time I had a problem bleeding brakes on a 914 was when I had a complete brain fart and forgot there are both an outboard and an inboard bleeder on
Boxster calipers. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif)

I use the pressure bleeder to move the fluid through the lines to push out the air. Then I use the " have the toolwench pump the pedal" method to make sure everything works correctly.

Clay

User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 1st July 2024 - 01:23 AM