Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> STUCK - Strut will not come out!, Cartridge stuck in the chamber
ctc911ctc
post May 5 2022, 04:17 PM
Post #21

Group: Members
Member No.: 22,206
Region Association: North East States

Pictures requested by S-Hawk!

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Superhawk996
post May 6 2022, 11:22 AM
Post #22

914 Guru

Member No.: 22,428
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

Thanks for those pictures!

Damper rod is definitely a deformed rivet swage type connection to the end cap.

From the looks of it, the end cap appears to have been wedged around the OD of the piston damper rod / end cap to the black Boge strut ID. I think that was liquid-tite and preventing any penetrating oil from getting by it?

Jounce bumper cracking (if I'm seeing that right) is good indication that it has bottomed hard more than a couple times which could really wedge the end cap.

Just curious, since that end cap has come undone, can the whole large chrome end of the damper be pulled out of the yellow tube?

If you don't want to do that I understand. i don't think that end cap is ever supposed to come free of the yellow strut insert body but now that it has, I'd suspect the whole damper can now be removed from the yellow tube to expose the linear bushings.

@ctc911ctc
+Quote Post
ctc911ctc
post May 15 2022, 09:33 AM
Post #23

Would you like me to send it to you?

Or I can take more pics?

Please let me know

QUOTE(Superhawk996 @ May 6 2022, 11:22 AM) *

Thanks for those pictures!

Damper rod is definitely a deformed rivet swage type connection to the end cap.

From the looks of it, the end cap appears to have been wedged around the OD of the piston damper rod / end cap to the black Boge strut ID. I think that was liquid-tite and preventing any penetrating oil from getting by it?

Jounce bumper cracking (if I'm seeing that right) is good indication that it has bottomed hard more than a couple times which could really wedge the end cap.

Just curious, since that end cap has come undone, can the whole large chrome end of the damper be pulled out of the yellow tube?

If you don't want to do that I understand. i don't think that end cap is ever supposed to come free of the yellow strut insert body but now that it has, I'd suspect the whole damper can now be removed from the yellow tube to expose the linear bushings.

@ctc911ctc

+Quote Post
Superhawk996
post May 15 2022, 12:28 PM
Post #24

914 Guru

Member No.: 22,428
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

Oh God no . . . I don't want parts. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif) I'm in the midst of trying to clean out all the crap I've hoarded over the last 20+ years as we prepare to move cross country.

Let me post a picture a little bit later of a 914 Bilstein cartridge for a Bilstein strut.

What I'm wondering is if you pull the damping rod / bump stop / steel end cap toward the end that is now open, will the insert just slide out and are you left holding the equivalent of the insert I'm going to post a picture of?

Sorry to keep this thread going on, just interesting to see how those yellow strut inserts are made.
+Quote Post
ctc911ctc
post May 17 2022, 06:56 PM
Post #25

We live very near the edge of Boston - large house on a small lot with a small garage by anyones standard except Boston - almost 2 car!

I tell my kids we are working in a submarine, nothing on the floor! nothing in the yard! Everything must be put away.......then my 20 year old brings home a blown up Yamaha 250. oh well, I try but still have lot's of stuff to get rid of, will take a few more pics and then I will throw them away

QUOTE(Superhawk996 @ May 15 2022, 12:28 PM) *

Oh God no . . . I don't want parts. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif) I'm in the midst of trying to clean out all the crap I've hoarded over the last 20+ years as we prepare to move cross country.

Let me post a picture a little bit later of a 914 Bilstein cartridge for a Bilstein strut.

What I'm wondering is if you pull the damping rod / bump stop / steel end cap toward the end that is now open, will the insert just slide out and are you left holding the equivalent of the insert I'm going to post a picture of?

Sorry to keep this thread going on, just interesting to see how those yellow strut inserts are made.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 1st July 2024 - 05:47 AM