Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V < 1 2 3  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> To Do List for Bumblebee that needs to be bulletproof, What would you do?
mepstein
post Nov 29 2023, 07:10 PM
Post #41

914-6 GT in waiting

Group: Members
Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

QUOTE(dstudeba @ Nov 29 2023, 05:42 PM) *

QUOTE(jhynesrockmtn @ Nov 29 2023, 01:16 PM) *

The bad - trans leaks pretty bad. Not sure what happened. I'm also struggling to get it in first gear. It will come back out soon to check.

Thanks for the update, I remember this thread. I will be interested in how you solve the first gear issue as I have problems with first gear also. Hoping that a Tangerine linkage kit and a RennShift will solve my problem.

How many miles are on the trans? We’ve overhauled at least 20 transmissions this year and every one had worn out parts. This was from a 914 trans I opened up today. Owner reported no significant issues.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
User is online!Profile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
TonyA
post Nov 29 2023, 08:35 PM
Post #42

Nachmal

Member No.: 20,596
Region Association: North East States

QUOTE(mepstein @ Nov 29 2023, 08:10 PM) *

The bad - trans leaks pretty bad. Not sure what happened. I'm also struggling to get it in first gear. It will come back out soon to check.

Thanks for the update, I remember this thread. I will be interested in how you solve the first gear issue as I have problems with first gear also. Hoping that a Tangerine linkage kit and a RennShift will solve my problem.

How many miles are on the trans? We’ve overhauled at least 20 transmissions this year and every one had worn out parts. This was from a 914 trans I opened up today. Owner reported no significant issues.

But he sure does have some clean oil.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Nov 29 2023, 09:28 PM
Post #43

914-6 GT in waiting

QUOTE(TonyA @ Nov 29 2023, 09:35 PM) *

lol!
Someone once told me the shifting is only as good as the weakest link. Definitely start at bushings, moving parts and low hanging fruit but there's no way to make it great if the trans is worn/worn out.
+Quote Post
iankarr
post Nov 29 2023, 10:14 PM
Post #44

The wrencher formerly known as Cuddy_K

Member No.: 18,749
Region Association: Intermountain Region

Congrats on the first drive! Sounds like your BB is well on the way to being sorted!
+Quote Post
jhynesrockmtn
post Nov 30 2023, 08:41 AM
Post #45

Member No.: 20,100
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

QUOTE(mepstein @ Nov 29 2023, 07:28 PM) *

QUOTE(TonyA @ Nov 29 2023, 09:35 PM) *

lol!
Someone once told me the shifting is only as good as the weakest link. Definitely start at bushings, moving parts and low hanging fruit but there's no way to make it great if the trans is worn/worn out.

I'm not sure how many miles on the trans, but if it was rebuilt when the guy who restored the car said it was, I'd guess 10k. It has fresh gear oil. I don't remember it leaking like this or having a 1st gear issue when I first got the car, so I'm not discounting simpler things like a bad install in the input shaft seal. I've got two other 901s sitting in my shop so we'll look at this one closely and make sure the easy stuff is checked off the list. If something is really wrong internally we'll open the other two up and see if we have a good one. I don't know the history on my spares.

I'm also not confident when a PO said, this or that was "rebuilt". Who knows how good the work was, etc. Overall I'm ok with this car given what I paid, but the quality of the "restoration" in several areas was lacking.
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Nov 30 2023, 11:06 AM
Post #46

914-6 GT in waiting

I haven’t read through the whole thread but since you mentioned bulletproof and ready to drive a lot of miles, I was thinking a serious look at the internals might be warranted. Some of the rebuilt engines and trans, even from other shops, have been so pitiful that I don’t trust anything unless we open it up and put eyes on the parts.
+Quote Post
914sgofast2
post Nov 30 2023, 01:10 PM
Post #47

Member No.: 15,855
Region Association: None

You mentioned the the engine tends to "hunt" at idle. That is a pretty sure sign that the AAR (Auxiliary Air Regulator) has gotten gummed up or its heating coil burned out. Take the AAR apart and clean it/repair the heating coil, or just buy a rebuilt one from Auto Atlanta. Since you are replacing all the gaskets and seals while the engine is out, this will insure that you have addressed all potential vacuum leaks that will cause an uneven idle.
+Quote Post
DRPHIL914
post Nov 30 2023, 01:17 PM
Post #48

Dr. Phil

Member No.: 11,106
Region Association: South East States

QUOTE(mepstein @ Nov 30 2023, 12:06 PM) *

I haven’t read through the whole thread but since you mentioned bulletproof and ready to drive a lot of miles, I was thinking a serious look at the internals might be warranted. Some of the rebuilt engines and trans, even from other shops, have been so pitiful that I don’t trust anything unless we open it up and put eyes on the parts.
QUOTE(914sgofast2 @ Nov 30 2023, 02:10 PM) *

You mentioned the the engine tends to "hunt" at idle. That is a pretty sure sign that the AAR (Auxiliary Air Regulator) has gotten gummed up or its heating coil burned out. Take the AAR apart and clean it/repair the heating coil, or just buy a rebuilt one from Auto Atlanta. Since you are replacing all the gaskets and seals while the engine is out, this will insure that you have addressed all potential vacuum leaks that will cause an uneven idle.

Yes, AAR, or other source of a air leak/vac leak and/or you are running a bit lean which can be a cause of hunting as well.
+Quote Post
jhynesrockmtn
post Nov 30 2023, 04:45 PM
Post #49

Member No.: 20,100
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

QUOTE(DRPHIL914 @ Nov 30 2023, 11:17 AM) *

QUOTE(mepstein @ Nov 30 2023, 12:06 PM) *

QUOTE(914sgofast2 @ Nov 30 2023, 02:10 PM) *

Yes, AAR, or other source of a air leak/vac leak and/or you are running a bit lean which can be a cause of hunting as well.

The engine has been out and is back in. All fuel and vacuum lines replaced. The hunt and hesitation, or miss under acceleration is gone. What I did notice is the idle is consistently high. I've read that can be an issue with the 123ignition distributors. I'll look at that and smoke test the engine over the winter to see if I might have a vacuum leak.
+Quote Post

3 Pages V < 1 2 3
Reply to this topicStart new topic
3 User(s) are reading this topic (3 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th June 2024 - 08:07 AM