Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

18 Pages V « < 5 6 7 8 9 > »   
Closed TopicStart new topic
> Sale Pending - My purchase of 9140431482, Just facts; no spin or opinion
mountainroads
post Feb 12 2024, 01:05 PM
Post #121

Group: Members
Member No.: 14,145
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

QUOTE(Rufus @ Feb 10 2024, 06:06 PM) *

Quote from 5/31/2020 Advertisement:
“- New Elgin 306/288-106 camshafts.”

Service invoice provided after the sale. Started with used Delta cams and had them reground:

Although I don't know if there's any material difference, I'll readily concede this one to Rufus. Chris recommended new cams for more top end and I was mostly working off memory when I put the ad together. Frankly, I forgot that detail.

Would've been more correct to state: "Newly reground cams to Elgin 306/288-106 spec".

- MR
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
mb911
post Feb 12 2024, 04:03 PM
Post #122

914 Guru

Member No.: 9,892
Region Association: Upper MidWest

QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Feb 11 2024, 12:01 PM) *

90k spread over 3 businesses is a lot of money to me. A LOT!

Same here. I would be getting divorced for sure .
+Quote Post
Rufus
post Feb 15 2024, 01:11 PM
Post #123

Member No.: 5,840
Region Association: None

@Mountainroads

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
mountainroads
post Feb 15 2024, 05:57 PM
Post #124

QUOTE(Rufus @ Feb 15 2024, 11:11 AM) *

@Rufus : I don't know what to tell you. Certainly not great, but I still don't know how bad that is. Is the pan soft or perforated, or is the Wurth undercoating compromised? Hopefully, the unbiased here will chime in.

Bottom line: I certainly would've had that fixed if Rillos hadn't assured me it wasn't an issue.

Below are a couple of underside pics prior to Wurth undercoating for reference:

Attached Image

- MR
+Quote Post
Rufus
post Feb 15 2024, 06:08 PM
Post #125

Member No.: 5,840
Region Association: None

QUOTE(mountainroads @ Feb 15 2024, 04:57 PM) *

@Rufus : I don't know what to tell you. Certainly not great, but I still don't know how bad that is. Is the pan soft or perforated, or is the Wurth undercoating compromised? Hopefully, the unbiased here will chime in.

Bottom line: I certainly would've had that fixed if Rillos hadn't assured me it wasn't an issue.

- MR

Light from a drop light underneath
+Quote Post
mountainroads
post Feb 15 2024, 06:14 PM
Post #126

The second pic:

Attached Image

- MR
+Quote Post
mountainroads
post Feb 15 2024, 06:23 PM
Post #127

One more. Unfortunately, I can't tell exactly where underneath the car these pics were taken. They were all sent to me by Rillos as work was in progress.

Attached Image

- MR
+Quote Post
mountainroads
post Feb 15 2024, 08:50 PM
Post #128

Here's a copy of the PPI I received when I purchased the car. Please note on Page 3 (circled) that the underbody was inspected and no mention of rust issues. I believe Rufus has the paper copy.

Attached File  PPI_Report_redacted.pdf ( 2.96mb ) Number of downloads: 33

- MR
+Quote Post
bkrantz
post Feb 15 2024, 09:07 PM
Post #129

914 Guru

Member No.: 23,343
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

QUOTE(mountainroads @ Feb 15 2024, 06:23 PM) *

One more. Unfortunately, I can't tell exactly where underneath the car these pics were taken. They were all sent to me by Rillos as work was in progress.

Attached Image

- MR

This is the driver's side floor, about in the middle, looking from the center tunnel at the top of the picture towards the outer long. Front of the car is to the right. The internal cross member sits above the rib that looks wider. The driver's seat is about the larger circular plug on the left.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Superhawk996
post Feb 15 2024, 11:00 PM
Post #130

914 Guru

Member No.: 22,428
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

I guess i’ll be the bad guy . . . Shame on Rillos for just rubbing seam sealer over that and then spraying undercoat.

$60k ? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/hissyfit.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sheeplove.gif) it has become almost impossible to find real craftsmanship in this world.

I just feel terrible for both of you.

The good news is that it is is a /6 and its a survivor and there isnt anything there that hasn’t been dealt with before.
+Quote Post
mate914
post Feb 16 2024, 05:47 AM
Post #131

Matt

Member No.: 10,102
Region Association: North East States

QUOTE(mountainroads @ Feb 15 2024, 06:57 PM) *

Below are a couple of underside pics prior to Wurth undercoating for reference:

Attached Image

- MR

"Hopefully, the unbiased here will chime in" Not sue what this is implying?

That is a nice 914-6. All floor pans rust. Don't take it back to any shops for work. Do work your self. You will spend your money much wiser then a shop.

Matt (IMG:style_emoticons/default/flag.gif)

+Quote Post
mb911
post Feb 16 2024, 02:14 PM
Post #132

914 Guru

Member No.: 9,892
Region Association: Upper MidWest

Some basic input here after going through all of this

I think the only people to blame are the shops. I don’t think that floor pan would have been discovered in a ppi as it appears it was well hidden.

Only step forward is to properly repair it which if it were in my neck of the woods I would fix that area for around $1000 and it would be undetectable. I hope to see this thread move in a positive direction now.
+Quote Post
mountainroads
post Feb 16 2024, 03:03 PM
Post #133

I think I'm about done posting to this thread. I'm trying hard not to be defensive, but I feel like I'm on public trial. Not sure how much more of value I can add at this point, anyway.

Upon closer inspection now, it appears Rillos might've (I can't tell for sure) used body filler to "fix" the floorpan from below (Post #127). If so, I don't know why he did that instead of welding and he never said anything to me about it at the time. Had he said "This should be welded up.", I would've immediately said "Do it.".

Frankly, I didn't look at the pictures he sent too closely then and simply thought "Oh, he's just cleaning up the bottom before undercoating". I trusted him to take care of what needed fixing and to do a good job. Perhaps that's why he didn't want to do anything from the top side of the pan. IDK.

I again refer to the initial PPI (Post #128, page 4). Although numerous mechanical defects and the front panel repair were noted, they inspected the bodywork and underside and no rust issues were pointed out. I would've gladly shared all the restoration pictures I received and the PPI with any prospective buyer or inspection shop, if requested. Perhaps those items would've informed a different purchase decision.

@Rufus : I feel your frustration and disappointment. I'm still confused why you started poking around under the seats in the first place though, unless it was a quest to find everything possibly wrong with the car? Did your subsequent scraping and wire brushing remove the "repair" that Rillos did, and that exposed the holes?

Do I regret buying the car? Yes and No. It was a journey and I learned a lot. For the time and money I spent, I could've bought and enjoyed a brand new Porsche for multiple years. But, I didn't want a new Porsche. I wanted a new OLD Porsche. Plus, it was my redemption project for totaling another genuine 914-6 in my youth. I believed it was a desirable and well sorted car by the time I let it go.

I also learned that Father Time takes his toll despite our best efforts, and this lesson has since extended to a couple of my other hobbies. What we nostalgically remember as problem-free mechanical devices from a half century ago now have an inevitable degree of frailty, simply due to age. Just like we do.

Lubricants dry up. Metal oxidizes and fatigues. Plastic, rubber, and fiber parts become brittle from innumerable hot and cold cycles and weather exposure, and eventually they fail. It's a true labor of love to keep these cars operational and there's always something that isn't working quite perfectly. Parts, especially -6 specific parts, are becoming harder and harder to find. Some are unobtanium. As another poster noted, it's a miracle so many 914s have been saved and are still road-worthy today.

- MR
+Quote Post
mountainroads
post Feb 16 2024, 03:15 PM
Post #134

QUOTE(mate914 @ Feb 16 2024, 03:47 AM) *

"Hopefully, the unbiased here will chime in" Not sure what this is implying?

Matt (IMG:style_emoticons/default/flag.gif)

Just seeking input from those less emotionally involved.

- MR
+Quote Post
Superhawk996
post Feb 16 2024, 04:40 PM
Post #135

914 Guru

QUOTE(mountainroads @ Feb 16 2024, 05:03 PM) *

I think I'm about done posting to this thread. I'm trying hard not to be defensive, but I feel like I'm on public trial.

I certainly don’t see it that way.

I don’t think your name would have even come up if you had not joined as a voluntary participant.

You’ve added a ton of relevant background and I don’t think you’ve tried to hide anything. After all, your photos of the underbody only add value and show what Rillos did or didn’t do.

If anything I think you got taken by the shops for premium pricing for so so quality work. But I see that as a reflection on the shops not you.
+Quote Post
Root_Werks
post Feb 16 2024, 05:27 PM
Post #136

Village Idiot

Member No.: 2,105

Reading through this thread (took a few minutes), I wouldn't put any fault on either the last or current owners. You both did what you could before buying, tried to represent as best you could.

Rust happens, especially on 914's.

It's honestly been a very interesting read and I'm looking forward to seeing some of the fixes.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
Craigers17
post Feb 16 2024, 05:44 PM
Post #137

Member No.: 21,317
Region Association: South East States

I think the information from both parties was useful, and agree that the shops that performed the restoration work were probably the most culpable. That said, I think the OP's best option would be to start a new, fresh thread on the remaining restoration/modification of his already pretty damn cool 914/6. At a certain point you have to quit focusing on who or what "fricked" things up and focus on fixing the problems and the positive, fun aspects of driving and restoring the car.
+Quote Post
rhodyguy
post Feb 16 2024, 06:02 PM
Post #138

Chimp Sanctuary NW. Check it out.

Member No.: 378

Is the picture in #123 the bottom of the center tunnel? #129 the light color smear had the cancer behind it? The really dark spots might be a rust conversion product. Get an ice pick and probe around. Move forward.
+Quote Post
Superhawk996
post Feb 16 2024, 07:11 PM
Post #139

914 Guru

QUOTE(Craigers17 @ Feb 16 2024, 07:44 PM) *

At a certain point you have to quit focusing on who or what "fricked" things up and focus on fixing the problems and the positive, fun aspects of driving and restoring the car.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)

This really is a nice car that 99.99% of us would be honored to steward through the next phase of its life. Perfection is elusive and those that find it end up with garage queens they can’t drive for fear of a stone chip. Don’t let the quest for perfection prevent you from enjoying this car.

+Quote Post
jhynesrockmtn
post Feb 17 2024, 06:29 PM
Post #140

Member No.: 20,100

QUOTE(Superhawk996 @ Feb 16 2024, 05:11 PM) *

QUOTE(Craigers17 @ Feb 16 2024, 07:44 PM) *

At a certain point you have to quit focusing on who or what "fricked" things up and focus on fixing the problems and the positive, fun aspects of driving and restoring the car.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)

This really is a nice car that 99.99% of us would be honored to steward through the next phase of its life. Perfection is elusive and those that find it end up with garage queens they can’t drive for fear of a stone chip. Don’t let the quest for perfection prevent you from enjoying this car.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) Very well said
+Quote Post

18 Pages V « < 5 6 7 8 9 > » 
Closed TopicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th September 2024 - 07:08 PM