Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

18 Pages V « < 8 9 10 11 12 > »   
Closed TopicStart new topic
> Sale Pending - My purchase of 9140431482, Just facts; no spin or opinion
mb911
post Feb 23 2024, 04:04 PM
Post #181

914 Guru

Group: Members
Member No.: 9,892
Region Association: Upper MidWest

This whole thing has got to be a terrible experience. The only way to do things right are to do them yourself or someone that is truly a friend do it. I would say at the moment there are a few that do top notch work. PMB, and Patrick are among those. Very rarely do you hear of things going sideways there.

Rufus at this point you just have to pass it on to someone to properly fix or you probably need to sell it as my sense is you won’t be happy with it as is.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
KELTY360
post Feb 23 2024, 04:54 PM
Post #182

914 Neferati

Member No.: 5,344
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/dead horse.gif)
+Quote Post
gereed75
post Feb 23 2024, 08:27 PM
Post #183

Member No.: 15,674
Region Association: North East States

Really
+Quote Post
Rufus
post Feb 23 2024, 09:55 PM
Post #184

Member No.: 5,840
Region Association: None

Who’d like buying a car with rust hidden underneath a fresh coat of shiny paint? Especially one represented as a “no expense spared restoration”, and with nothing reported by a professional PPI wrt the suspicious interior floor pan appearance which might be indicative of broader problems, among other things? Not me
+Quote Post
KELTY360
post Feb 23 2024, 10:07 PM
Post #185

914 Neferati

Member No.: 5,344

Maybe you should change the thread title.
+Quote Post
73-914
post Feb 23 2024, 11:14 PM
Post #186

Member No.: 11,651

QUOTE(KELTY360 @ Feb 23 2024, 05:54 PM) *

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/poke.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/stirthepot.gif)
+Quote Post
mb911
post Feb 24 2024, 05:31 AM
Post #187

914 Guru

Member No.: 9,892
Region Association: Upper MidWest

QUOTE(Rufus @ Feb 23 2024, 07:55 PM) *

Who’d like buying a car with rust hidden underneath a fresh coat of shiny paint? Especially one represented as a “no expense spared restoration”, and with nothing reported by a professional PPI wrt the suspicious interior floor pan appearance which might be indicative of broader problems, among other things? Not me

Depends. I know you said you do most of your own work but not engine, transmission, body work and paint etc. well to be honest that’s a big portion of ownership of a classic car. For me if you car was offered at your purchase price and I had the spare cash I would be all over it. For me these are very simple and inexpensive fixes.
+Quote Post
Rufus
post Feb 24 2024, 06:02 AM
Post #188

But my purchase price, $56,500 was almost 4 years ago. According to Hagerty, the value of the same car today is $80,000.

The question is whether anyone would be happy paying current market price while understanding a car did not have these issues, and later find rust under fresh paint?

What MR spent on the car before selling, is irrelevant to whether I got a decent deal or not.
+Quote Post
930cabman
post Feb 24 2024, 06:47 AM
Post #189

Advanced Member

Member No.: 24,877

If I paid top dollar, I would want a premium car. Being the CSOB I am, I have never bought a "nice car" (my wife can attest to that), so my expectation is always somewhat low. This is unfortunate, especially when you thought you were buying a premium car and was "confirmed" with a third party inspection. I would be upset too

As Superhawk has mentioned, getting lawyers involved would only make things worst, my advice would be to cut your loss and move ahead. This a real /6 and should be enjoyed as such. Complete the repairs as time/funds allow and have fun in the mean time
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Rufus
post Feb 24 2024, 07:03 AM
Post #190

QUOTE(914sgofast2 @ Feb 23 2024, 01:24 PM) *

I think the takeaways from this thread are:
1) All 914's are going to have unseen and/or undiscovered rust unless the body shell has been completely disassembled and blasted down to bare metal with written and photo documentation to support it. Anything less at this point and you cannot believe anyone's claim that the 914 has undergone a "complete" restoration;
2) No "restoration" that has not yet been through Step 1 is going ….

Fact 1: Only today, in 2024, MR admittedly made “one of the few cost-control concessions” in 2014 of opting not to expose down to the bare floor panels. (And apparently not to address the firewall either as I discovered … a “full repaint” as per MR’s 2020 advert?)

Fact 2: when advertising the car for sale in 2020, he described starting a “no expense spared restoration” on the car.

Fact 3: and state in 2024 here in this thread: “It was indeed a no expense spared (relatively, and within reason) body restoration …”

Draw your own conclusions… what would motivate someone to do this??
+Quote Post
Rufus
post Feb 24 2024, 07:17 AM
Post #191

Another fact by his own admission:
“I firmly believe what looks like floorpan rust is only damage to the sound deadening material on top.”

Facts: as shown by my numerous photos

I’ll let others draw their own conclusions re credibility…
and on the credulity of Rillos not informing the owner of the firewall rust
+Quote Post
rhodyguy
post Feb 24 2024, 07:49 AM
Post #192

Chimp Sanctuary NW. Check it out.

Member No.: 378
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

Who is this MR? What is your total investment at this point?
+Quote Post
Rufus
post Feb 24 2024, 07:50 AM
Post #193

MountainRoads
+Quote Post
Rufus
post Feb 24 2024, 08:01 AM
Post #194

And why would someone switch to selling like this in last November?

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1972-porsche-911t-coupe/

BTW: Super driving video. Worth watching with the volume up

Yeah, many possible reasons. But my experience is when a number of seemingly random signs point to the same conclusion, they’re often right.

Draw your own conclusions
+Quote Post
Rufus
post Feb 24 2024, 08:08 AM
Post #195

QUOTE(930cabman @ Feb 24 2024, 05:47 AM) *

As Superhawk has mentioned, getting lawyers involved would only make things worst, my advice would be to cut your loss and move ahead. This a real /6 and should be enjoyed as such. Complete the repairs as time/funds allow and have fun in the mean time

I was 69 in 2020 when I bought the car. I’m 73 now. A significant part of retirement spent in frustration due to Gamroth and MR. What’s that worth?
+Quote Post
Rufus
post Feb 24 2024, 08:16 AM
Post #196

Quoting MR:
“ As far as the disclosure form (post #51), it’s hard to read, but the attestation on line 1 is the car never sustained accident damage greater than 25% of it’s value, which is true.”

MR Quote from post #78: “The story I got was either one of them, or one of their wives, did a little off-roading one day at the track and smacked the front end, presumably necessitating a front panel replacement. Rillos noticed it wasn't quite correct for a 1970 while fitting the front valance.”

What was in that form is beside the point. Nothing about the car having an “event” which caused a body panel replacement, plus additional custom fitment adjustments was previously disclosed or reported to me by MR or Gamroth. Even when the subject of accident disclosure came up after the fact with MR.

Draw you own conclusions
+Quote Post
gereed75
post Feb 24 2024, 08:16 AM
Post #197

Member No.: 15,674

No one here has anything to gain by writing a controversial post regarding this situation so I am not sure why I (or anyone else) is even posting at this point, but in my opinion you paid driver quality money for a driver quality car.

Maybe you are disappointed, I get it, but Full resto real sixes have been selling for $100,000 plus for many years now.

Over and out.
+Quote Post
Rufus
post Feb 24 2024, 08:29 AM
Post #198

QUOTE(gereed75 @ Feb 24 2024, 07:16 AM) *

No one here has anything to gain by writing a controversial post regarding this situation so I am not sure why I (or anyone else) is even posting at this point, but in my opinion you paid driver quality money for a driver quality car.

Maybe you are disappointed, I get it, but Full resto real sixes have been selling for $100,000 plus for many years now.

Over and out.

Driver quality = “no expense spared restoration”?

Really??

Look at MR’s advert again. His initial ask was $59,500 for what he described as a “no expense spared restoration”. My problem is the contradiction between what I got and what was advertised by MR and confirmed by Gamroth. Has nothing to do with what other transactions are today or were before; only the willing buyer and seller in this transaction. My $$$ was good; the car … not as represented to me.

And a friendly reminder … if you aren’t interested in my thread, nobody’s forcing you to read it. Bye bye.
+Quote Post
mate914
post Feb 24 2024, 08:45 AM
Post #199

Matt

Member No.: 10,102

QUOTE(Rufus @ Feb 24 2024, 09:29 AM) *

QUOTE(gereed75 @ Feb 24 2024, 07:16 AM) *

Over and out.

Driver quality = “no expense spared restoration”?

Really??

Look at MR’s advert again. His initial ask was $59,500 for what he described as a “no expense spared restoration”. My problem is the contradiction between what I got and what was advertised by MR and confirmed by Gamroth. Has nothing to do with what other transactions are today or were before; only the willing buyer and seller in this transaction. My $$$ was good; the car … not as represented to me.

And a friendly reminder … if you aren’t interested in my thread, nobody’s forcing you to read it. Bye bye.

What do you want? Honestly.... What the hell do you want? You want us all to cry and bitch for you? Many of use tried and tied again to help you. A lot of experience is on 914world. We are trying to help.
Matt (IMG:style_emoticons/default/flag.gif)
+Quote Post
jhynesrockmtn
post Feb 24 2024, 09:12 AM
Post #200

Member No.: 20,100

QUOTE(Rufus @ Feb 24 2024, 06:01 AM) *

And why would someone switch to selling like this in last November?

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1972-porsche-911t-coupe/

Yeah, many possible reasons. But my experience is when a number of seemingly random signs point to the same conclusion, they’re often right.

Draw your own conclusions

I'm sorry, what does this BAT listing have to do with any of this?
+Quote Post

18 Pages V « < 8 9 10 11 12 > » 
Closed TopicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th September 2024 - 03:29 PM