Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

18 Pages V « < 10 11 12 13 14 > »   
Closed TopicStart new topic
> Sale Pending - My purchase of 9140431482, Just facts; no spin or opinion
Rufus
post Feb 25 2024, 04:25 PM
Post #221

Group: Members
Member No.: 5,840
Region Association: None

QUOTE(73-914 @ Feb 25 2024, 12:08 PM) *

QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Jan 20 2024, 02:01 PM) *

Buying from pictures is like operating a worm drive electric saw while wearing a blindfold.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)

And kinda like believing everything your local body man / painter says without checking yourself, huh? After all, he reassured you, right?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
rhodyguy
post Feb 25 2024, 05:11 PM
Post #222

Chimp Sanctuary NW. Check it out.

Member No.: 378
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

I have no idea what your tech may or may not have told you. Or what you might have heard. I choose not to speculate on that.

Perhaps MR had no idea about the work performed or not performed.

What do you want to happen from this point forward?

What is the ‘plan’?

I have no dog in this hunt. I can sympathize with your predicament.

+Quote Post
Rufus
post Feb 25 2024, 05:19 PM
Post #223

QUOTE(Rufus @ Feb 25 2024, 03:25 PM) *

QUOTE(73-914 @ Feb 25 2024, 12:08 PM) *

QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Jan 20 2024, 02:01 PM) *

Buying from pictures is like operating a worm drive electric saw while wearing a blindfold.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)

And kinda like believing everything your local body man / painter says without checking yourself, huh? After all, he reassured you, right?
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Feb 25 2024, 04:11 PM) *

I have no idea what your tech may or may not have told you. Or what you might have heard. I choose not to speculate on that.

Perhaps MR had no idea about the work performed or not performed.

What do you want to happen from this point forward?

What is the ‘plan’?

I have no dog in this hunt. I can sympathize with your predicament.

My “tech” ?? Feel free to review my profile; I’m no newby to working on cars

MR’s work wasn’t done at the height of Covid at a 3000 mile distance. The reason for my reluctance to travel and hiring a $1000 professional PPI; thereby opening myself to harsh criticism here. At the same time, MR has received only sympathy for “Perhaps MR had no idea about the work performed or not performed”, and then selling a rusty car. Sounds fair & unbiased to me (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif)

The ‘plan’ … As I’ve said before, my purpose here is only to share factual information from my experience. My ‘plan’ will be handled offline privately
+Quote Post
technicalninja
post Feb 25 2024, 05:59 PM
Post #224

Member No.: 27,135
Region Association: Southwest Region

QUOTE(Rufus @ Feb 25 2024, 05:19 PM) *

The ‘plan’ … That’ll be handled offline privately

Should have done this from the start!

+Quote Post
Rufus
post Feb 25 2024, 06:04 PM
Post #225

QUOTE(technicalninja @ Feb 25 2024, 04:59 PM) *

Understood. But as I mentioned early on, there’s more to the story that isn’t public (and will remain so), which pushed me in this direction.
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Feb 25 2024, 06:04 PM
Post #226

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Seems like a lot of self imposed pain for a transaction that’s done and dusted.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
technicalninja
post Feb 25 2024, 06:15 PM
Post #227

And the car's still decent...

By not telling the whole story Rufus has destroyed any sympathy I had for him.

The failures here were shop related. The PPI was a serious failure IMO. 1K and they didn't find stuff I would have located in the first 10 minutes.

It's easy, run driver seat forward and see if the tar is bubbled/loose.

Looks like MR lost his shirt on this.

Looks like Rufus has a nice real 6 to work with.

I've been an "expert witness" on a couple of lawsuits.

The only people that win are the Lawyers (on BOTH sides)!
+Quote Post
Rufus
post Feb 25 2024, 06:21 PM
Post #228

QUOTE(mountainroads @ Feb 24 2024, 02:46 PM) *

Wow. This thread …
6) I still contend the asking/selling price was VERY reasonable for what I thought Rufus was getting. Rufus is right - 2020 was crazy and uncharted territory times. I was dealing with my own health stuff and evaluating what was important to me. Under less stressful circumstances, I would've probably started in the $70-80K range, which would be typical for this kind of car, and has been for a long time.

….

- MR

This completely misses my point. No matter how good the deal MR and others claim it was in 2020, I would have walked away without hesitating if I knew of the rust & other issues … no matter how low the ask. Again, as I said before I was NOT looking for another project.

Without the info on the car’s issues, I was deprived of making the decision myself. My ability to do that was stolen from me.
+Quote Post
technicalninja
post Feb 25 2024, 06:46 PM
Post #229

QUOTE(Rufus @ Feb 25 2024, 06:21 PM) *

Without the info on the car’s issues, I was deprived of making the decision myself. My ability to to that was stolen from me.

By the folks you paid to do the PPI.

Did you ask them to especially look for rust?

At 1K I'd have asked them to remove the rockers as well as the carpet for inspection.

I would have DEMANDED pictures.

I'm guessing you didn't ask...

Paint thickness measurements should have been done at multiple spots.

Super red flag for me would be the leak down tests (COLD!) that all showed less than 10%. Those are textbook perfect numbers for a HOT engine.
No car on this forum has COLD numbers that tight!
They shouldn't...

Second red flag, no compressor brought by the PPI tech.

Third flag, car didn't go up on a lift. It has to for a proper PPI IMO. I'd want a bunch of pics. Might be easier to run a 3-5 min video showing EVERYTHING underneath.
A 1K PPI should have automatically included this stuff, 100+ pics, maybe a couple of quick vids.

I'm seeing multiple faults with the folks Rufus hired and then spent a shitload of money with directly after purchase.

This thread seems to put the blame on MR. I haven't picked up on any subterfuge from him. Would have been far easier for him to just "not post".

Someone that was trying to hide stuff would not respond.

If I read the whole post correctly MR LOST more money selling this car to Rufus than Rufus paid for it.

+Quote Post
Rufus
post Feb 25 2024, 07:05 PM
Post #230

“If I read the whole post correctly MR LOST more money selling this car to Rufus than Rufus paid for it.”

Not relevant. Like I said you could not have given me the car for free if I knew about the issues. I.was.NOT.interested.in.another.project! At any price!

And re the PPI and what should have been done. I agree
+Quote Post
Rufus
post Feb 25 2024, 07:20 PM
Post #231

QUOTE(technicalninja @ Feb 25 2024, 05:46 PM) *

Without the info on the car’s issues, I was deprived of making the decision myself. My ability to to that was stolen from me.

At 1K I'd have asked them to remove the rockers as well as the carpet for inspection.

Super red flag for me would be the leak down tests (COLD!) that all showed less than 10%. Those are textbook perfect numbers for a HOT engine.
They shouldn't...

Third flag, car didn't go up on a lift. It has to for a proper PPI IMO. I'd want a bunch of pics. Might be easier to run a 3-5 min video showing EVERYTHING underneath.
A 1K PPI should have automatically included this stuff, 100+ pics, maybe a couple of quick vids.

I'm seeing multiple faults with the folks Rufus hired and then spent a shitload of money with directly after purchase.

This thread seems to put the blame on MR. I haven't picked up on any subterfuge from him. Would have been far easier for him to just "not post".

If I read the whole post correctly MR LOST more money selling this car to Rufus than Rufus paid for it.

Of those who do restoration paint and body work for paying clients, how many would proceed to paint / apply Wurth undercoating before / without either repairing, or at least consulting with your client about, rust on body panels??
+Quote Post
Rufus
post Feb 25 2024, 07:29 PM
Post #232

QUOTE(mepstein @ Feb 25 2024, 05:04 PM) *

Seems like a lot of self imposed pain for a transaction that’s done and dusted.

“It’s not over till the fat lady sings” Yogi Berra
+Quote Post
mate914
post Feb 25 2024, 07:32 PM
Post #233

Matt

Member No.: 10,102
Region Association: North East States

QUOTE(Rufus @ Feb 25 2024, 08:20 PM) *

They shouldn't...

Of those who do restoration paint and body work for paying clients, how many would not proceed to paint / apply Wurth undercoating before / without either repairing, or at least telling your client about rust on body panels??

I would never do work for you. You are a ticking timebomb. You are the ass in asshole. Please post a picture so we can all avoid you at car shows. All you do is sow division with zero I repeat ZERO respect for anybody but your self. Sit down and shut up. Now go take your blood pressure pill.
Matt (IMG:style_emoticons/default/flag.gif)
+Quote Post
Rufus
post Feb 25 2024, 07:42 PM
Post #234

QUOTE(mate914 @ Feb 25 2024, 06:32 PM) *

QUOTE(Rufus @ Feb 25 2024, 08:20 PM) *

Thanks for your kind helpful contribution, Matt

They shouldn't...

Of those who do restoration paint and body work for paying clients, how many would not proceed to paint / apply Wurth undercoating before / without either repairing, or at least telling your client about rust on body panels??

I would never do work for you. You are a ticking timebomb. You are the ass in asshole. Please post a picture so we can all avoid you at car shows. All you do is sow division with zero I repeat ZERO respect for anybody but your self. Sit down and shut up. Now go take your blood pressure pill.
Matt (IMG:style_emoticons/default/flag.gif)

Thanks for your kind, respectful, helpful contribution, Matt
+Quote Post
73-914
post Feb 25 2024, 08:15 PM
Post #235

Member No.: 11,651

QUOTE(technicalninja @ Feb 25 2024, 06:59 PM) *

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/stirthepot.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/stirthepot.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/stirthepot.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/stirthepot.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/stirthepot.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/stirthepot.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/stirthepot.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/stirthepot.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/stirthepot.gif)
+Quote Post
Rufus
post Feb 25 2024, 08:19 PM
Post #236

QUOTE(jhynesrockmtn @ Feb 25 2024, 07:36 AM) *

For a post that has "Just the facts, no spin or opinion" in the title, his postings are increasingly paranoid and read like a conspiracy theory with a crap ton of spin.

Like all the photos I posted? Ok then
+Quote Post
Rufus
post Feb 25 2024, 08:53 PM
Post #237

QUOTE(mountainroads @ Feb 24 2024, 02:46 PM) *

3) I need to correct one detail that keeps coming up. The front latch panel was correct when Gamroth inspected the car. Chris noted it in my initial PPI. Rillos noticed it, sourced a used donor panel, and welded it in prior to painting. Gamroth apparently failed to note it had been replaced.

“The front latch panel was correct when Gamroth inspected the car.”

MR, is this your belief?

+Quote Post
Rufus
post Feb 25 2024, 09:27 PM
Post #238

QUOTE(Craigers17 @ Feb 25 2024, 02:55 AM) *

QUOTE(Rufus @ Feb 24 2024, 10:58 AM) *

name='Jett' post='3130435' date='Feb 24 2024, 08:47 AM']
Not sure what one would expect when paying nearly 50% less than what a restored 6 sells for, regardless of the sellers claims.

Again I strongly disagree with drawing an equivalence between this transaction and others. I paid 96.6% of the seller’s ask. The fact the ask didn’t align with other transactions is irrelevant to this discussion.

Anyone remember the spring of 2020? Global shutdown, markets in turmoil, unknown health risks, oil trading below $0 / barrel?

I don’t think anyone knew what the market price of a 100 pt 914/6 was at the time.

My gripe is the contradiction between how it was represented and confirmed by PPI vs its condition

If you're the informed buyer that you claim to be, it would have been pretty easy to find out what the market value of a true 914-6 was back in 2020. All you had to do was look at the 914-6's being sold on BAT, which by your own admission, is a site that you are very familiar with. It's pretty disengenous to claim you had no idea what the market value of a 914-6 was in 2020. You can go look at that data right now and see that nearly every 914-6 sold during 2020 went between $75 to over $100K. You said you paid $56.5 as I recall. So, whether you admit it or not, you know you bought the car at somewhere between 50 to 75% of market value.

Now, according to your own post, it seems that you think you deserve market value on a car that you paid no where near market value on(essential what flippers try to do). Here is your post:

"But my purchase price, $56,500 was almost 4 years ago. According to Hagerty, the value of the same car today is $80,000.

The question is whether anyone would be happy paying current market price while understanding a car did not have these issues, and later find rust under fresh paint?

What MR spent on the car before selling, is irrelevant to whether I got a decent deal or not."

Why do you think you are entitled to market value when you didn't pay market value? I have tried to keep an open mind on this thread, but at a certain point it is what it is. The absolute truth is that the car has more rust than you thought. You have already proven that, regardless of the history of the car. That said, you keep sanding down more of the car like a young child picking scabs off a wound until it bleeds even more, and then providing more "evidence" of your already proven truth. That doesn't mean the prior owner knew any of this. It just shows that the PPI probably wasn't the greatest. Even then, it would be hard to definitively tell that the car had rust issues under the paint. Moreover, the car has been in your possession for over 3 years now... nobody knows what has happened to the car in those 3 years(If I am playing lawyer).

My point is this: You seem to keep posting on this thread as if it's some type of legal document which will vindicate you in some way???? or perhaps help you in future litigation??? The thread is nothing more than a bunch of people like you and me giving personal opinions of the whole messy situation. At the end of the day, you have 2 real options: SELL THE CAR or FIX THE CAR. At this point, the rest is just pissin' in the wind.

I’m documenting my process of discovering the extent of repairs needed. Only after that can I obtain an accurate quote on the repair cost, and decide my path forward.

My apologies if my diligence offends you. It comes from spending a significant part of my career doing forensic engineering of mechanical fuel injection systems and writing reports that would withstand scrutiny up the corporate ladders at my company and my client company.

The car has been driven 376 miles in my ownership, never in rain, never on wet pavement, never washed, never touched by a drop of water, in a dry clean attached garage under the master bedroom on the second floor whenever it’s not being driven, always overnight, in a home built in 2012.

It’s ok that we disagree wrt the 914 market in the spring of 2020. I’m confident in my perspective based on watching most all markets throughout the day since retiring in 2003, and first buying stock shares with money earned cutting grass in 1965.

Thanks for your friendly, respectful, non confrontational contribution, Craigers17
+Quote Post
KELTY360
post Feb 25 2024, 09:28 PM
Post #239

914 Neferati

Member No.: 5,344
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Would a wise man, seeing that he was in a hole, go to work and blindly dig deeper?
+Quote Post
Rufus
post Feb 25 2024, 09:31 PM
Post #240

Knowing what I know, and what my goals are, I will keep “digging” … politely, respectfully, honestly posting facts as I find them
+Quote Post

18 Pages V « < 10 11 12 13 14 > » 
Closed TopicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th September 2024 - 09:54 AM