Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

18 Pages V « < 12 13 14 15 16 > »   
Closed TopicStart new topic
> Sale Pending - My purchase of 9140431482, Just facts; no spin or opinion
Rufus
post Feb 26 2024, 09:54 AM
Post #261

Group: Members
Member No.: 5,840
Region Association: None

Couldn’t find any soft spots in probing with an awl on outside or bottom surface.

Pics of left long outer face; before & after Milwaukee M12 wire brush in different spots. Looks to me the reddish color isn’t rust; and is Tangerine paint …

FWIW: valance panel stuck on with tar along top. Very little dirt or debris found

Attached image(s)
Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Rufus
post Feb 26 2024, 10:00 AM
Post #262

Bottom left long surface …

Curious about white plastic(?) like material along a portion of long. It’s kinda tough and resists scraping, prying, etc.. Look normal? Thoughts?

Attached image(s)
Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Feb 26 2024, 10:16 AM
Post #263

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Fiberglass patches?
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Rufus
post Feb 26 2024, 10:20 AM
Post #264

Ooooof!

And the part # in PET? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)
+Quote Post
burton73
post Feb 26 2024, 10:35 AM
Post #265

burton73

Member No.: 7,414
Region Association: Southern California

That is Wurth put on from the factory. Same on my 6.

It better to view the right side under rocker because it catches water and gets trapped at jack post on a number of cars.

Bob B
+Quote Post
Rufus
post Feb 26 2024, 10:44 AM
Post #266

Will do. Not sure if today or tomorrow

Bob B., think there’s any possibility the Wurth is new; that’s what MR’s advert said?
+Quote Post
930cabman
post Feb 26 2024, 10:57 AM
Post #267

Advanced Member

Member No.: 24,877
Region Association: North East States

I'm seeing rust, but perhaps not catastrophic
+Quote Post
Rufus
post Feb 26 2024, 11:05 AM
Post #268

Agreed 930cabman. Thinkin I might attack the white layer next. Concerned it may not be good news underneath
+Quote Post
mountainroads
post Feb 26 2024, 11:53 AM
Post #269

Member No.: 14,145
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

QUOTE(Rufus @ Feb 25 2024, 02:25 PM) *

And kinda like believing everything your local body man / painter says without checking yourself, huh? After all, he reassured you, right?

Yes, I know, I said I was done posting to this thread. The following occurred to me last night so I'm adding now.

Yes Rufus, that was my mistake. I trusted Rillos to identify and properly fix what needed to be fixed. I trusted him to say "This should be taken care of." I didn't think I needed to observe every move or stand there and watch every step or part that was installed. I hired pros because they were supposed to be the experts, not me. You missed the part where I said I regularly checked on progress. By regularly, I meant at least once a month, and often weekly.

Not once did I tell any shop not to do something because it was too expensive or I didn't want to pay for it.

- MR
+Quote Post
SirAndy
post Feb 26 2024, 12:05 PM
Post #270

Resident German

Group: Admin
Member No.: 179
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(Rufus @ Feb 26 2024, 08:44 AM) *

Will do. Not sure if today or tomorrow

Bob B., think there’s any possibility the Wurth is new; that’s what MR’s advert said?

The white coating is from the factory, that's what they used to protect the underside of the car.
The weathered black coating is probably from way back when and dealer applied.
The fresh black coating is aftermarket, which is most likely what the seller referred to.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/shades.gif)
+Quote Post
DRPHIL914
post Feb 26 2024, 12:05 PM
Post #271

Dr. Phil

Member No.: 11,106
Region Association: South East States

QUOTE(mountainroads @ Feb 26 2024, 12:53 PM) *

And kinda like believing everything your local body man / painter says without checking yourself, huh? After all, he reassured you, right?

Yes, I know, I said I was done posting to this thread. The following occurred to me last night so I'm adding now.

Yes Rufus, that was my mistake. I trusted Rillos to identify and properly fix what needed to be fixed. I trusted him to say "This should be taken care of." I didn't think I needed to observe every move or stand there and watch every step or part that was installed. I hired pros because they were supposed to be the experts, not me. You missed the part where I said I regularly checked on progress. By regularly, I meant at least once a month, and often weekly.

Not once did I tell any shop not to do something because it was too expensive or I didn't want to pay for it.

- MR

its is unfortunate that so much was buried and missed. Thsi is why 5 years ago i drove my car to Connecticut to Tangerine racing for Chris and Ed to take care of mine.
i had seen other stories here similar to this over the 10 years before that.
When i bought my car i didnt know what a "hell Hole" or a "long" etc was, and man i had no idea how bad it was in my longs and rear jack points. so very similar except i didnt pay for a PPI. In the end though CHris and Ed did a great job, i have new rebuilt floor rear longs jack points and half floor pans. sorry to hear of the isues but you have t0o move on. Chris took picutres of the process and each step so i knew that the longs and floors were done right.

Move on and up and get it done, - it does serve as a lesson in several areas. Be fair to those involved but i have no issue with calling out those that did NOT do their job well or do what they knew needed to be done- maybe worse if they put themselves out there as na expert but then didnt know. seems a little bit of both - either way have to move on , fix and enjoy that is what i did, i have never called out the P.O., but circumstances were a bit different with my purchase.

Phil
+Quote Post
Rufus
post Feb 26 2024, 12:08 PM
Post #272

QUOTE(mountainroads @ Feb 26 2024, 10:53 AM) *

- MR

Quoting MR post #78:
It was indeed a “no expense spared” (relatively, and within reason) body restoration ………….
…………. It was one of the few cost-control concessions“

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif) I easily get SO confused (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)
+Quote Post
Rufus
post Feb 26 2024, 12:49 PM
Post #273

@SirAndy : Thanks for sharing your insight. I’m looking at the chassis parts page on AA, but don’t see the white coating called out. Any idea why? Was it just not a serviceable part? … or?
+Quote Post
SirAndy
post Feb 26 2024, 12:59 PM
Post #274

Resident German

Group: Admin
Member No.: 179
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(Rufus @ Feb 26 2024, 10:49 AM) *

@SirAndy : Thanks for sharing your insight. I’m looking at the chassis parts page on AA, but don’t see the white coating called out. Any idea why? Was it just not a serviceable part? … or?

The search is your friend ...
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=152778
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/shades.gif)
+Quote Post
mountainroads
post Feb 26 2024, 01:48 PM
Post #275

Member No.: 14,145
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

QUOTE(Rufus @ Feb 26 2024, 10:08 AM) *

- MR

Quoting MR post #78:
It was indeed a “no expense spared” (relatively, and within reason) body restoration ………….

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif) I easily get SO confused (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

Do I really need to spell this out? I was never going to strip the car down to naked tub and acid dip. Plus, I didn't think it needed it.
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Feb 26 2024, 03:08 PM
Post #276

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

QUOTE(mountainroads @ Feb 26 2024, 02:48 PM) *

- MR

Quoting MR post #78:

Do I really need to spell this out? I was never going to strip the car down to naked tub and acid dip. Plus, I didn't think it needed it.

Not worth it for a couple spots on the pan and firewall. You patch them up, coat, paint and move on. If you want a rust free Porsche, you go to the dealer and buy a Boxster.
+Quote Post
mrholland2
post Feb 26 2024, 03:52 PM
Post #277

Member No.: 13,531
Region Association: Central California

QUOTE(mepstein @ Feb 26 2024, 01:08 PM) *

QUOTE(mountainroads @ Feb 26 2024, 02:48 PM) *

- MR

Quoting MR post #78:

Not worth it for a couple spots on the pan and firewall. You patch them up, coat, paint and move on. If you want a rust free Porsche, you go to the dealer and buy a Boxster.

I'm kinda thinking that all the time spent on this thread could've gotten A LOT more done. But who knows? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)
+Quote Post
Rufus
post Feb 26 2024, 08:16 PM
Post #278

I’m closing out this segment of the story.

Attached pics show two chips containing the Porsche white PVC undercoating (most visible in edge views) removed from the bottom left long surface. There’s also a curled up section that was shaved off by razor blade. And finally some minute material shavings on the razor blade. I see no evidence of reinforcing fibers which leads to my conclusion.

This doesn’t point to the possibility of something intentionally applied for nefarious reasons. But the longs will be stripped bare to confirm all is well. The PVC coating is damaged, and may not provide protection different than a modern epoxy anyway.

On to the next step …

Attached image(s)
Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
Rufus
post Feb 26 2024, 08:22 PM
Post #279

Beginning the next chapter of my story with this …

On Thursday, 2/15 I reached out to Jeff Gamroth providing a link to this thread with the suggestion he follow along. No response.

This morning I emailed him again. I’ll report if / when he responds.
+Quote Post
Rufus
post Feb 27 2024, 05:01 AM
Post #280

- MR

FINALLY! after 3 weeks. If MR had not made HIS mistake in 2014, the rust would have been addressed properly then and would not have existed in 2020 or today, and … I would never have been motivated to start this thread and endure the ruthless bashing here. With this admission, Part 1 of my story enters a new phase.
+Quote Post

18 Pages V « < 12 13 14 15 16 > » 
Closed TopicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th September 2024 - 06:18 PM