Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

18 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 5 > »   
Closed TopicStart new topic
> Sale Pending - My purchase of 9140431482, Just facts; no spin or opinion
technicalninja
post Jan 20 2024, 11:03 AM
Post #41

Group: Members
Member No.: 27,135
Region Association: Southwest Region

QUOTE(mb911 @ Jan 20 2024, 06:17 AM) *

So if I read this right there is about 70k invested in this car? It is a real six so that falls right in line. I figure my conversion has to be worth 40-50 range and it’s not a real six. I think from a value standpoint you’re fine. The car over all is very nice. I do think the PPI should have picked up 11k worth of service and parts needed to set the car to par. This does also reinforce trying to do as much work yourself as you can. I struggle working on other people’s cars because I am spending their money with my suggested repairs.

Anyway I hope your able to enjoy the car

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)

Billing is what I HATE the most!

It would be so much easier if money wasn't involved!

It's one of the main reasons I want to STOP working on OPCs...

I'll never stop wrenching, but I'd love to do it for my friends and family alone!
User is online!Profile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Rufus
post Jan 20 2024, 11:12 AM
Post #42

Member No.: 5,840
Region Association: None

For comparison to PPI and seller’s 914world advertisement description & photos. (Maybe not that unusual or awful for a 50yo 914, but unknown to me before making purchase decision & negotiating a deal. A similar photo was provided by PO, between finalizing the purchase and taking delivery.) Again, please draw your own conclusions.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
+Quote Post
Superhawk996
post Jan 20 2024, 12:01 PM
Post #43

914 Guru

Member No.: 22,428
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

Why do I have a feeling that this isn’t even the finale?

Are you headed toward VIN swap or is this clipped? I’m not an expert on Model year vs VIN range, could this be a 72’ 914/6 chassis?
+Quote Post
mb911
post Jan 20 2024, 12:10 PM
Post #44

914 Guru

Member No.: 9,892
Region Association: Upper MidWest

QUOTE(Superhawk996 @ Jan 20 2024, 10:01 AM) *

Are you headed toward VIN swap or is this clipped? I’m not an expert on Model year vs VIN range, could this be a 72’ 914/6?

I am thinking something similar wouldn’t that be a 75/76 front panel?
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Cairo94507
post Jan 20 2024, 12:20 PM
Post #45

Michael

Member No.: 9,712
Region Association: Northern California

It is very common for these 50+ year old 914's to have had mishaps along the way necessitating panel replacements. Nose and rear panels were pretty common. I have attached 2 photos showing my '71 914-6 nose panel corners for reference for your consideration.

I know my car had a later factory nose replacement panel installed when I bought it. The give away was the round holes in the nose panel were not opened up. I sourced an NOS early panel (mid-year) and we modified that to perfectly match the original '71 (early) panel. I guess what I am saying is not to get to wound up about differences; they can all be addressed to perfectly match what came stock in a '70, or whatever year 914 you have, from the factory. So long as the panel is correctly installed- like factory, I see no harm.

The only issue I would have is if someone tried to pass a car off as having never had work, when it has. That is why I documented the entire process of my build for all to see. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

Attached Image

Attached Image
+Quote Post
Superhawk996
post Jan 20 2024, 12:32 PM
Post #46

914 Guru

QUOTE(mb911 @ Jan 20 2024, 02:10 PM) *

QUOTE(Superhawk996 @ Jan 20 2024, 10:01 AM) *

Are you headed toward VIN swap or is this clipped? I’m not an expert on Model year vs VIN range, could this be a 72’ 914/6?

I am thinking something similar wouldn’t that be a 75/76 front panel?

I think 72’ and 75’ were similar but 75’ would have holes for the energy absorbing struts though I suppose creative metalwork could fill the holes.
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Superhawk996
post Jan 20 2024, 12:34 PM
Post #47

914 Guru

QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Jan 20 2024, 02:20 PM) *

The only issue I would have is if someone tried to pass a car off as having never had work, when it has.

Bingo. Though offering price seemed to indicate that the car had some issues.

And $1000 for a PPI that didn’t note this would piss me off. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)

Beginning to understand OP’s frustration but wasn’t sure where this was headed with the first few posts.
+Quote Post
Cairo94507
post Jan 20 2024, 12:43 PM
Post #48

Michael

Wow! $1K for a PPI that did not identify these issues is borderline incompetent. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)
+Quote Post
Superhawk996
post Jan 20 2024, 12:48 PM
Post #49

914 Guru

QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Jan 20 2024, 02:43 PM) *

Wow! $1K for a PPI that did not identify these issues is borderline incompetent. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)

Is incompetent.

Fixed it for you - I’m not so polite (IMG:style_emoticons/default/happy11.gif)
+Quote Post
rhodyguy
post Jan 20 2024, 01:01 PM
Post #50

Chimp Sanctuary NW. Check it out.

Member No.: 378

Buying from pictures is like operating a worm drive electric saw while wearing a blindfold.
+Quote Post
Rufus
post Jan 20 2024, 01:14 PM
Post #51

FWIW, I have PO’s signature on this …

He also passed along a copy of Bruce Johnson’s The 914 & 914/6 Porsche (which I already had a copy of).

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Cairo94507
post Jan 20 2024, 01:19 PM
Post #52

Michael

It depends upon how many owners your car has had. If your seller was the original owner, that helps a lot. If there has been several owners, it is hard to say what information was or was not passed along and the ability of someone to identify incorrect things. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
Superhawk996
post Jan 20 2024, 02:02 PM
Post #53

914 Guru

QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Jan 20 2024, 03:19 PM) *

It depends upon how many owners your car has had. If your seller was the original owner, that helps a lot. If there has been several owners, it is hard to say what information was or was not passed along and the ability of someone to identify incorrect things. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)

Proving prior knowledge and/or ill intent is a very hard to do. But again, understand the frustration.

Personally, that’s where I get more mad at the PPI incompetence. At that price point, you’re paying someone for their supposed expertise.

Last year I bought a used BMW X5 and had a local Euro shop do a PPI because I’m not well versed in X5 issues and problem areas. $170 and it was well documented with findings and pictures of problem areas identified.

Fully agree though with previous comments that buying without in person inspection can be fraught with peril and in this case the PPI had a conflict of interest built in. At a $1000 price point for PPI, I would have expected more accurate info and would not have expected the $11k invoice. Not clear to me if all that invoiced work was requested by OP or not. His initial ten item “to do” list shouldn’t have been an $11k exercise. In all fairness, I’m thinking there may be more to that story. Usually illegal for a shop to do that scope of work without estimates and owner approval before proceeding with the work.
+Quote Post
Rufus
post Jan 20 2024, 02:34 PM
Post #54

Most, but not quite all work I approved is shown on the emails in Post #3. The turbo tie rods & brake proportioning valve were approved verbally. Most all the rest I wasn’t consulted on and did not approve. I had a $10,000 credit on deposit with Jeff for an aborted build project on another 914/6:
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...=349520&hl=

… plus this ‘74 914 6-conversion intended for use in the aborted 914/6 project above:
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...mp;hl=Rothsport
It was parted out and sold off later from Rothsport.
+Quote Post
Rufus
post Jan 20 2024, 05:48 PM
Post #55

QUOTE(930cabman @ Jan 20 2024, 05:42 AM) *

Much of life is in the past, at least for many of us old guys here. We can learn from our experiences or not, either way nothing behind us can be changed.

Your car is a born 914/6 and that in itself is (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif)

Get the items in need of repairs in order and enjoy her in good health

Overall she looks great and probably runs the same

Lots of sound ideas posted, including this one. Thanks guys.

I’ll take awhile deciding how to proceed. But I think one important factor is whether I can do the work myself. It’s been my practice since my first car repair disappointment in 1971. Central will be whether there’s any welding involved; something not in my repertoire. Another factor is whether rust removal, prep, priming and painting can be accomplished without further interior disassembly than seats, backpad, carpet, etc., without damaging other car surfaces, or creating a hazardous environment in the garage. I have no room in my home garage, and the car’s a “guest” in my wife’s two car garage alongside her Toyota. Thoughts?
+Quote Post
r_towle
post Jan 20 2024, 06:45 PM
Post #56

Custom Member

Member No.: 124
Region Association: North East States

We win/lose on cars.
Fix it and enjoy it.

Life is too short.
Have your moment of anger….decide to fix or sell
Then do it.

Just got my freshly rebuilt engine back into my 2006 911S….and I get it….shit happens.

I hope you can get to a point you enjoy the car.

I drove mine home a few weeks ago, after 9 months with no engine.
It’s amazing.

Make it yours….or sell it to the next guy.

Rich
+Quote Post
Superhawk996
post Jan 20 2024, 07:40 PM
Post #57

914 Guru

QUOTE(Rufus @ Jan 20 2024, 07:48 PM) *

Central will be whether there’s any welding involved; something not in my repertoire. Another factor is whether rust removal, prep, priming and painting can be accomplished without further interior disassembly than seats, backpad, carpet, etc., without damaging other car surfaces, or creating a hazardous environment in the garage. I have no room in my home garage, and the car’s a “guest” in my wife’s two car garage alongside her Toyota. Thoughts?

Even if you can’t weld, you can do the grunt work of stripping the factory tar off the floor pan. Otherwise, you are paying shop rate ($100-$200/hr depending) to just figure out what needs to be done.

If you’re OK with writing more $11k checks - there’s nothing wrong with that either. Assuming, you can find competent labor which is getting progressively harder in this day and age.

I’ll always encourage folks to do and learn, at least that way, you control the end result. If you’re not happy with that, you then have a better understanding of where all the labor $$ are coming from when you pay someone else.
+Quote Post
Superhawk996
post Jan 20 2024, 07:41 PM
Post #58

914 Guru

QUOTE(r_towle @ Jan 20 2024, 08:45 PM) *

We win/lose on cars.
Fix it and enjoy it.

Life is too short.
Have your moment of anger….decide to fix or sell
Then do it.

Just got my freshly rebuilt engine back into my 2006 911S….and I get it….shit happens.

I hope you can get to a point you enjoy the car.

I drove mine home a few weeks ago, after 9 months with no engine.
It’s amazing.

Make it yours….or sell it to the next guy.

Rich

There’s wisdom in these words.
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Jan 20 2024, 07:43 PM
Post #59

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

I would start asking around your area to see who can do the needed repairs. Doesn’t necessarily have to be a Porsche shop. Just someone with some skill and a place to do the work. Good luck with the car. Many of us have been in similar situations. Disappointing but get things fixed, put it behind you and enjoy the car. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
sixnotfour
post Jan 20 2024, 08:15 PM
Post #60

914 Wizard

Member No.: 2,744
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

Haha I lived in wa ,,,call John ,, ask Gamroth for a refund.. caveat emptor
My GT was there..
+Quote Post

18 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 5 > » 
Closed TopicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 7th September 2024 - 06:06 PM