Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

24 Pages V « < 14 15 16 17 18 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Cairo's Six - 3.6 in and running great!
Cairo94507
post Jun 14 2024, 06:44 AM
Post #301

Michael

Group: Members
Member No.: 9,712
Region Association: Northern California

The engine is in the car. It actually slipped right in without much bother. Greg had to loosen the engine tin on passenger side to get her in. We slipped the 993 chassis harness that connects the engine to the chassis in through the firewall in the same spot as the 3.2 harness entered and it fits nicely. Then hooked up both axles just because they were in the way and torqued them properly. Then Greg installed the breather hose from the oil tank filler to the engine.

The only concession I had to make to fit the air intake/MAF/filter where we wanted it to live was Greg had to remove the trunk torsion bars, (those puppies were under some serious tension). I will go with 2 hydraulic shocks to handle the trunk lid. I checked out Greg's 914-6 to see how they operate and they are nice. Removal of those 2 rods opened up enough space that the intake fits nicely and runs along the trunk bulkhead. We also removed the complete relay board assemble as we no longer needed that and it took up some serious space. I was actually bummed about that as I really like Auto Atlanta's (George's) new relay board cover and wanted to see that in the engine bay.

Overall, a really satisfying day; I am so so happy to see that engine in place. It's amazing how smoothly things go when you are working with a guy like Greg who knows what he is doing, has the tools to do it, and wants it to look as clean and tidy as possible.

Oh, we did de-boss the intake a bit to clean it up. Removed 3 large mounting tabs which held a large mounting bracket for some electrical connectors. Those connectors will live comfortably below the intake.

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
sb914
post Jun 14 2024, 06:50 AM
Post #302

Surf Guru

Member No.: 15,191
Region Association: Southern California

Nice job . You must be super happy.what a journey this car has had . I remember seeing it at Kent’s. They’re never finished. Looks tidy!
+Quote Post
Steve
post Jun 14 2024, 07:37 AM
Post #303

914 Guru

Member No.: 822
Region Association: Southern California

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/first.gif)
Looks great!! I removed my torsion bars when I installed the 3.2 back in 2000. I am surprised you got the 3.2 in there with them installed. Mine will probably be end of July. Going on vacation for a couple of weeks.
+Quote Post
Maltese Falcon
post Jun 14 2024, 07:41 AM
Post #304

Advanced Member

Member No.: 2,755
Region Association: None

Keep your eyes on that contact area of the cone air filter and fuel-rail end; these cotton/alum screen filters are vulnerable to penetration and deforming when using in tight engine bays. Maybe a soft piece of foam-rubber there ¿
If your feeling creative; an isolation housing can be crafted>>just make sure enough air gets to it.
Attached Image
+Quote Post
tygaboy
post Jun 14 2024, 07:42 AM
Post #305

914 Guru

Member No.: 19,241

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/cheer.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif)
and soon:
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)
+Quote Post
Maltese Falcon
post Jun 14 2024, 07:49 AM
Post #306

Advanced Member

Member No.: 2,755
Region Association: None

Isolation housing on my shop truck; made from plastic and is ducted into front grill>>fed with cold air. Cold air always better than (ambient) hot engine bay air...but just under the 914 grill=not bad at all !
Attached Image

+Quote Post
Cairo94507
post Jun 14 2024, 07:55 AM
Post #307

Michael

@Maltese Falcon

Yeah, that was our thought when noodling where it should live. Also, we will be adding a piece of rubber pipe to move the filter about 4" further out for more clearance. I just need to find that rubber pipe now.... I believe it is a 3 3/8" ID that we need. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
SirAndy
post Jun 14 2024, 09:05 AM
Post #308

Resident German

Group: Admin
Member No.: 179

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif)
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
930cabman
post Jun 14 2024, 11:17 AM
Post #309

Advanced Member

Member No.: 24,877
Region Association: North East States

Great news, which model shoe horn did you guys use?
+Quote Post
914dave
post Jun 15 2024, 04:50 AM
Post #310

914 Addict

Member No.: 1,262

The 3.6 looks awesome in there. I had to remove the torson bars for the 3.2 intake and fire suppression install. I use a KD tool telescoping prop for the rear lid. I didn't want to cut the seal for the struts. Since the front trunk is wet with the oil cooler and GT headlight kit. Needed a dry place for my clothes on long trips. Good luck with the rest of the install.
+Quote Post
Cairo94507
post Jun 15 2024, 05:24 AM
Post #311

Michael

Thanks guys; I appreciate the support. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
Cairo94507
post Jun 23 2024, 08:58 AM
Post #312

Michael

Yesterday was a busy day, but nothing that really photographs well. We got the fuel regulator side of the fuel rails connected but I need to get some proper clamps to complete that- I may have some in my parts stash. Sorry no photos. Please note the bottom of the engine has not really been cleaned as it pretty much lived on my garage floor or Greg's lift table prior to install. All that dirtiness is cosmoline. Once we get everything sorted, I will get to work cleaning it so it looks nicer- although part of me says, "If it has been on the engine since '95, protecting the case, why remove it?" It comes off easy enough as just using a plastic scraper or a finger nail removes it easily.

Then we measured several times for the intake pipe extension to move the filter cone about 5" closer to the drivers side of the car for better overall clearance. We did not install it after making the "pipe" we needed. But when we install it next time, it should look very clean as this will allow us to remove one adapter piece and 2 clamps. Stay tuned for that.

Then we figured out the oil inlet to the engine with Greg taking a stock 911 oil pipe and cutting/modifying it, (think hammer and block of wood (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smash.gif) ) and welding a nice fitting on the end to connect up to the thermostat oil line. I think Greg did an amazing job; it is tucked up perfectly where we wanted it so it does not interfere with anything and is in a well protected space.

We worked on a return oil line to the engine but in the end did not like the looks of it. So back to the drawing board on that - the final piece of the oil line puzzle. We want it to be a metal pipe coming from the engine, about 7" long and turning 90 degrees and terminating about 4" past the radius. It is a really tight space when you test fit the heat exchanger and our first attempt, though it certainly would have worked, just did not look like we envisioned. We need a pipe bender with a tight radius to make that happen. We shall continue to "noodle" on that.

The oil return line you see connected in the 2nd picture from the top, (with the hose clamp around it) is not the finished product. We just were connecting it to our initial engine return line for a length test. So no worries- the final one will be neat and the line will not have any radical bends in it.

Hopefully we will be back at it on Wednesday or Thursday. Cheers, Michael (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image
+Quote Post
SirAndy
post Jun 23 2024, 12:35 PM
Post #313

Resident German

Here's the hard line i used:
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?s=&...st&p=915814

I don't remember who made it (maybe PMS?), it was in the box of parts that came with the engine.
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif)
+Quote Post
Cairo94507
post Jun 24 2024, 11:40 AM
Post #314

Michael

We will be back at it on Wednesday. I told Greg I could not make it Thursday as I wanted to be home in time for the debate! I think that may be entertaining. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/w00t.gif)
+Quote Post
930cabman
post Jun 24 2024, 11:57 AM
Post #315

Advanced Member

I used a PMS setup but was not pleased with the hard line routing. Ended up cutting it apart and welding it up where it should have been in the first place. Cheap and simple and done
+Quote Post
Cairo94507
post Jun 24 2024, 12:07 PM
Post #316

Michael

Truth be told... I have not been impressed with PMS parts and certainly not their customer support which is woefully lacking. Given what they charge for parts, there is no excuse for that. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)
+Quote Post
SirAndy
post Jun 24 2024, 12:12 PM
Post #317

Resident German

QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Jun 24 2024, 11:07 AM) *

Truth be told... I have not been impressed with PMS parts and certainly not their customer support which is woefully lacking. Given what they charge for parts, there is no excuse for that. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)

For what it's worth, i feel the same way.

Don't get me wrong, i'm glad they are making parts available for our cars but once you spent the money with them, you cease to exist until your next order.
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)
+Quote Post
ClayPerrine
post Jun 24 2024, 12:24 PM
Post #318

Life's been good to me so far.....

Member No.: 1,143
Region Association: NineFourteenerVille

QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Jun 24 2024, 12:40 PM) *

We will be back at it on Wednesday. I told Greg I could not make it Thursday as I wanted to be home in time for the debate! I think that may be entertaining. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/w00t.gif)

Attached Image
+Quote Post
930cabman
post Jun 24 2024, 12:30 PM
Post #319

Advanced Member

QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jun 24 2024, 12:12 PM) *

QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Jun 24 2024, 11:07 AM) *

For what it's worth, i feel the same way.

Don't get me wrong, i'm glad they are making parts available for our cars but once you spent the money with them, you cease to exist until your next order.
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)

More than a couple of us are in this boat. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif)
+Quote Post
Cairo94507
post Jun 24 2024, 04:52 PM
Post #320

Michael

OK, I sourced the pipe I need, 7/8" 0.065 wall mild steel (thanks Chris Baker for the referral to McMaster Carr. Then, Chris said he has a tubing bender that make the bend we need. Hopefully that pipe arrives at Chris' tomorrow or Wednesday. Then as soon as Chris is available my brother and I will buzz over to The Red Barn for nice little bend and to stretch the legs of his new (to him) 911 Turbo S Coupe. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif) Where would I be without the assistance of guys like Greg, Chris, Clay, Steve, HB, my brother and a host of others? It takes a car community to do this stuff.
+Quote Post

24 Pages V « < 14 15 16 17 18 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th September 2024 - 06:57 PM