Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

24 Pages V « < 17 18 19 20 21 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Cairo's Six - 3.6 in and running great!
mb911
post Jul 15 2024, 07:30 AM
Post #361

914 Guru

Group: Members
Member No.: 9,892
Region Association: Upper MidWest

When you going to fire it up? I have been dealing with crazy heat here as well. Makes it no fun to work on anything
User is online!Profile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Shivers
post Jul 15 2024, 07:57 AM
Post #362

Member No.: 24,781
Region Association: Southern California

Great work
User is offlineProfile CardPM
+Quote Post
rick 918-S
post Jul 15 2024, 08:11 AM
Post #363

Hey nice rack! -Celette

Member No.: 43
Region Association: Northstar Region

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/boldblue.gif) does it run yet? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif) crazy hot here last weekend (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)
+Quote Post
Cairo94507
post Jul 16 2024, 06:38 AM
Post #364

Michael

Member No.: 9,712
Region Association: Northern California

We will see what happens on Friday or Saturday, whichever day we end up working on her. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
Cairo94507
post Jul 26 2024, 07:43 PM
Post #365

Michael

It's ALIVE! We think we have an injector that is plugged up; it runs and starts right up (finally) but it has a miss at low RPM's and is running way rich. We will pull the injectors and take them to a fuel injector shop on Monday to have them serviced (if possible) or just replace them if need be. Then we will see how it runs. It's lumpy at low RPM but if you rev it to 5K it sounds very good. Getting it to run was the huge hurdle. More to follow in the morning about that. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif) @ClayPerrine . @tygaboy . @Steve @markhoward
+Quote Post
Steve
post Jul 26 2024, 08:21 PM
Post #366

914 Guru

Member No.: 822

Congrats!! You’re getting closer!!
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
markhoward
post Jul 26 2024, 10:24 PM
Post #367

Member No.: 20,897

Well done Michael!
+Quote Post
tygaboy
post Jul 26 2024, 10:27 PM
Post #368

914 Guru

Member No.: 19,241

YES!!!! Can't hardly wait to see it in the metal. Big Congrats to all!
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/cheer.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif)
+Quote Post
Krieger
post Jul 26 2024, 11:02 PM
Post #369

Advanced Member

Member No.: 2,104
Region Association: None

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif) YES!
+Quote Post
930cabman
post Jul 27 2024, 05:00 AM
Post #370

Advanced Member

Member No.: 24,877
Region Association: North East States

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

It's alive is always a good sign. hopefully the miss you are experiencing will be a simple fix

Victory is (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif)
+Quote Post
ClayPerrine
post Jul 27 2024, 05:26 AM
Post #371

Life's been good to me so far.....

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,143
Region Association: NineFourteenerVille

Congrats!

Huge milestone crossed.
+Quote Post
East coaster
post Jul 27 2024, 07:31 AM
Post #372

Member No.: 487
Region Association: None

Congrats!
+Quote Post
Cairo94507
post Jul 27 2024, 07:53 AM
Post #373

Michael

Thanks everyone. We are almost at the finish line. For the past 2 workdays we have been trying to sort a no-start issue. We had power to the coils but no spark when cranking. We figured the Crank Reference Sensor (CRS) was not functioning. Greg talked to a good friend of his who is a Master Porsche mechanic and he asked about the gap for the CRS. We had installed it and did not gap it. We pulled the transaxle and indeed the gap was twice what it should be. We corrected that and put her back together. Still no spark.

Greg and I noodled on it over the break and talked about when we installed the CRS and were required to update the connector on the engine harness for the new CRS and considered if we got a wire crossed. Greg called Kevin T. (owner of the Blue flared 914-6 with a 3.6) and asked Kevin to snap a picture of his CRS connector. Sure enough, his was wired differently. Thank you Kevin. I ordered a new connector from Porsche.

While my brother and HB went to Porsche to pick-up the new connector, Greg and I finished up the charcoal canister plumbing from the canister on my fuel tank to the engine.

My brother, Bob, has been there for every part of this swap and has provided support and encouragement along the way. HB @Long_Ago is a great friend, like Greg, and has been there as well. A special thank you to Bob and HB.

When Bobby and HB returned we installed the new connector with the wires pinned like Kevin's and we now had spark- Yay! When we tried to start her she sounded like she wanted to run and we got a puff of smoke out of the exhaust. All encouraging, but it still did not start. Greg shot some starter fluid into her and it did start for a second and then died.

We noodled on that no-start issue and Greg called his buddy and he asked if my DME had the Drive Block system. (Early '95 3.6 were not supposed to have that.) I had checked with Steve Wong when I bought the engine and provided him my engine serial number and a picture of my DME serial number. He told me my engine was Drive Block free.

Regardless of being Drive Block free, I bought a Steve Wong chip for the 3.6 as we are not running a stock flywheel; we have the 901 in there. My Kennedy Engineering flywheel is 9.5 pounds and considered a lightweight flywheel. Steve said if I do not run a modified chip, when I take my foot off the gas to come to a stop the engine RPM's will drop and the engine will want to stall. Made sense to me so we installed the Steve Wong chip. Well, when we were trouble-shooting the no start condition, we swapped out the custom chip and installed the stock chip. Greg and his buddy said, "put the Steve Wong chip back in and see what happens". Apparently, the Steve Wong chips also come designed to be Drive Block free.

We reinstalled the Steve Wong chip and she fired right up! Major milestone and we were very pleased. (Lesson learned, in the 27 years that motor sat, apparently the DME we received was not the DME that originally left the factory with that car.)

A special thanks to Clay @ClayPerrine who has been providing his expertise behind the scenes as we work our way through this swap. He has shared his knowledge/expertise along the way and it has been very helpful.

The engine is not running like she should; lumpy at low RPM, running very rich with a rough idle. At higher RPM she sounds great. This engine sat in storage since 1997 when it was removed from the 993 with 18K miles on it. After discussing it for a bit we decided we likely have some fouled injectors. On Monday, Greg is going to take them to a local fuel injector shop and see if they can be cleaned/serviced. If not, we will buy new injectors. We believe the rough running and rich condition are the result of an injector(s) stuck open, dumping fuel into the cylinder and that is why when you get to higher RPM's it smooths right out. We shall see. We stopped for the day as we did not want to wash the cylinders down with a bunch of fuel. We expected her to smoke when we fired her up due to all of the Marvel Mystery Oil we had squirted into the cylinders while the motor sat in my garage awaiting installation. She did not disappoint and fogged the garage quite nicely.

Oh, Greg's buddy also asked us to check the connection on our cylinder head temperature sensor because if that is not connected properly, apparently that will cause the DME to enrich the engine. Our is connected properly and this richness is more than that.

OK. That catches you up. We will get back on this probably mid-week and see what we get accomplished. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
SirAndy
post Jul 27 2024, 09:26 AM
Post #374

Resident German

Member No.: 179

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif)
+Quote Post
burton73
post Jul 27 2024, 11:57 AM
Post #375

burton73

Member No.: 7,414

Michael, way to go. very happy for you guys

Best Bob B
+Quote Post
ClayPerrine
post Jul 27 2024, 04:36 PM
Post #376

Life's been good to me so far.....

Member No.: 1,143
Region Association: NineFourteenerVille

Congrats........... You might consider a set of these: https://www.ctsturbo.com/product/bosch-42lb...dance-injector/ They are a plug and play replacement for the stock 964/993 injectors. They have better flow and fuel atomization due to a newer pintle design. This is what I am using on the 4.0 monster.
+Quote Post
frankieshooz
post Jul 27 2024, 10:07 PM
Post #377

Member No.: 17,945

Once again Michael raises the bar…amazing!
+Quote Post
rick 918-S
post Jul 28 2024, 05:27 AM
Post #378

Hey nice rack! -Celette

Member No.: 43
Region Association: Northstar Region

I had a rich condition that turned out to be low fuel pressure. You would think that would be the opposite. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)
+Quote Post
Cairo94507
post Jul 28 2024, 06:24 AM
Post #379

Michael

@rick 918-S I don't think it is low fuel pressure. When we first turned the key to power the systems, I had maybe 2 gallons of gas in the tank. We could hear the fuel pump pumping and it quickly was pouring gas back into the tank via the return line- sounded like a garden hose pouring water. But still, it is a good idea to throw a fuel pressure gauge in line to see... you never know. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

@frankieshooz Thanks a bunch, let's hope it comes out as nice and we had planned. Once you get your car back from PMB we have to meet up at one of the gatherings. I would love to see your car. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

@ClayPerrine - Those injectors look nice and would not break the bank either. I see they are presently out of stock. I have saved that page and will check to see when they are available. Even if we service mine, new injectors might be nice. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
tygaboy
post Jul 28 2024, 07:26 AM
Post #380

914 Guru

Member No.: 19,241

I sent the Ferrari injectors to Mr. Injector. He seems to be the "go-to" for service.
+Quote Post

24 Pages V « < 17 18 19 20 21 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 7th September 2024 - 05:21 PM