Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

24 Pages V « < 19 20 21 22 23 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Cairo's Six - 3.6 in and running great!
mb911
post Aug 1 2024, 10:35 AM
Post #401

914 Guru

Group: Members
Member No.: 9,892
Region Association: Upper MidWest

QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Aug 1 2024, 04:08 AM) *

@ClayPerrine @MB911 = Excellent tip. I am. headed to Greg's this morning with the list of things to check. We shall see. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

Basically the bad coil was sending bad juju to the other coil causing misfires
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
technicalninja
post Aug 1 2024, 02:42 PM
Post #402

Member No.: 27,135
Region Association: Southwest Region

QUOTE(mb911 @ Aug 1 2024, 11:35 AM) *

@ClayPerrine @MB911 = Excellent tip. I am. headed to Greg's this morning with the list of things to check. We shall see. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

Basically the bad coil was sending bad juju to the other coil causing misfires

We had a weird one once,

RX3 ITA car. Rotaries take BIG, BIG power in the secondary ignition to work properly.

Strange misfires till we were looking in the engine compartment after dusk.

All of the wires had a blue "aura" around them and you could actually SEE the auras affecting each other!

Looked like something out of "Starwars."

Braided SS sheathed wires with INDIVIDUAL grounds fixed that just fine...
+Quote Post
FL000
post Aug 1 2024, 06:22 PM
Post #403

Member No.: 14,076
Region Association: Southern California

All of the wires had a blue "aura" around them and you could actually SEE the auras affecting each other!

Looked like something out of "Starwars."

How many beers in were you when this was observed (IMG:style_emoticons/default/av-943.gif)

Just kidding, that could have been a hard problem to find. Good to see all the progress you guys have made.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Cairo94507
post Aug 2 2024, 07:52 AM
Post #404

Michael

Member No.: 9,712
Region Association: Northern California

We began yesterday by admiring the absolutely beautiful Mickey Mouse ears a good friend of Greg's 3D printed for my car. A special thanks to Steve Silva for hating the PMS ears enough to ask his good friend if he could do this. Just amazing finished product and made out of the good stuff so they will not deform or melt. We started the engine and I was amazed at how much air pressure comes out of those 2 pipes even with the engine running poorly. No wonder the heat exchangers pump out such great heat. Hooked up the hoses and called that done.

Here is a pictures of the as-shipped PMS Mickey Mouse ears on the engine. You can just see the two pipes sticking up, almost straight up. That was not going to work for the way we wanted this build to look.

Attached Image

Here is how the beautiful 3D ears look:

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

We discussed the list of things you all have been mentioned to help us trouble-shoot the poor running condition - thank you all. When we got to the cylinder head temperature sensor... the wiring was opposite of what Kevin's 914-6 3.6 was. Greg had taken pictures of Kevin's wiring. Greg swapped the pins and plugged it back in.

Greg removed the passenger side intake manifold so we could install the new Vacuum canister and connected the vacuum lines so the resonance flap would operate. I have to say, Porsche did a nice job of locating that canister.

I turned the key and it started and lumped along, missing and smelling rich with some smoke. As we stood there looking at the engine, Greg said, "Michael, unplug the MAF." I did and the engine smoothed right out! OMG! So we rejoiced for a minute and ordered a new MAF sensor. 3 hours later we had it in our hands.

Quick side note: We checked the price of the MAF through Porsche, $1,190.00 and they could not get it in until Monday. We checked it through RM European and the cost was like $170. What the exact hell is going on with Porsche parts? Greg called a good friend and he ordered it through SSF for us and when we picked it up it was $190 including tax. Nice.

We installed the new MAF and it fired right up and ran great. Yay! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif) We checked around the car for leaks, etc., put the seats in and took her for a ride. It felt so good to be behind the wheel again. We drove about 7 miles and pulled over and checked for leaks and noted the front oil cooler fans were now on. We still did not have the fan shroud installed because we wanted to make sure everything was tight and no leaks. I could not even hear the fans running from inside the car. The temperature was sitting at 180 and it was about 98 degrees outside.

We returned to Greg's with about 15 miles on her and checked the oil and added 1 quart. We now have 13 quarts in the system and it reads right between the marks on the dip stick.

We took her for another ride, Greg driving this time and he tested the engine properly. The engine has tons of torque and pulls hard. First gear really not needed. We do not have the back-pad, seatbelts or the floor mats installed yet. Despite that I was amazed at how quiet the engine was. We could hear the resonance flap open at high RPM's. We put another 10 miles on it and went back to Greg's. The engine is running better now than it did when we first drove her. I guess awaking from a 27 year slumber takes a minute.

On the next trip to Greg's I will bring the rear valance to see if it will fit the Sport muffler. I will also take the back-pad and see if that will fit with the seat belt modification. We still have to chase down the oil pressure gauge issue; it and the warning light are acting up. When running, the pressure gauge pins to maximum and the warning light glows green. We obviously have pressure so that, fortunately, is not it.

We need to install the oil cooler shroud (thanks again Chris @Tygaboy ). It will be nice to get that buttoned up.

I am optimistic about the whole cooler set-up. With no shroud to funnel air we did not get over 180 degrees on the 2 rides. Now granted, we were not sitting in stop and go traffic on a 108 degree day, but still. I was relieved to grab the front trunk oil lines and feel they were hot as was the cooler. No leaks and the fan thermostat working properly was terrific.

We are closing in on the end of this swap. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)

I feel blessed to have so many great friends who have all contributed to this build. Without them, this would have never happened. Cheers to all. Michael
+Quote Post
ndfrigi
post Aug 2 2024, 08:15 AM
Post #405

Advanced Member

Member No.: 13,474

wow! Congratulations Michael and great work Greg!

+Quote Post
tygaboy
post Aug 2 2024, 08:31 AM
Post #406

914 Guru

Member No.: 19,241

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/cheer.gif) Gotta be a big relief to get it running - and running well! Huge shout out to Greg for all his work. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/pray.gif)
Can't wait to see you, Bob and the car in person.
+Quote Post
930cabman
post Aug 2 2024, 08:54 AM
Post #407

Advanced Member

Member No.: 24,877
Region Association: North East States

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

Victories are always good, enjoy this ride in good health
+Quote Post
ClayPerrine
post Aug 2 2024, 09:17 AM
Post #408

Life's been good to me so far.....

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,143
Region Association: NineFourteenerVille

QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Aug 2 2024, 08:52 AM) *

We still have to chase down the oil pressure gauge issue; it and the warning light are acting up. When running, the pressure gauge pins to maximum and the warning light glows green. We obviously have pressure so that, fortunately, is not it.

I had the exact same problem. The wires are swapped between the gauge sender and the light sender. I just changed them at the sender and it fixed both of them.

Hope that helps..... And Congrats on getting to the first drive!

Clay

+Quote Post
Root_Werks
post Aug 2 2024, 09:48 AM
Post #409

Village Idiot

Member No.: 2,105
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Now I want a 3.6!

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)
+Quote Post
SirAndy
post Aug 2 2024, 09:53 AM
Post #410

Resident German

Member No.: 179

QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Aug 2 2024, 08:17 AM) *

QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Aug 2 2024, 08:52 AM) *

We still have to chase down the oil pressure gauge issue; it and the warning light are acting up. When running, the pressure gauge pins to maximum and the warning light glows green. We obviously have pressure so that, fortunately, is not it.

I had the exact same problem. The wires are swapped between the gauge sender and the light sender. I just changed them at the sender and it fixed both of them.

Hope that helps..... And Congrats on getting to the first drive!

Clay

Same here, mine were swapped as well.
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)
+Quote Post
Cairo94507
post Aug 2 2024, 12:48 PM
Post #411

Michael

Fingers crossed! Thanks Clay and Andy. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif)
+Quote Post
Steve
post Aug 2 2024, 02:08 PM
Post #412

914 Guru

Member No.: 822

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif) Congrats!! Glad you got the bugs out!! Lots of good troubleshooting information in case we run into similar issues.
+Quote Post
napasteve
post Aug 2 2024, 02:27 PM
Post #413

914 driving winemaker

Member No.: 15,327

Just outstanding! I'm also looking forward to seeing in person.
+Quote Post
Cairo94507
post Aug 4 2024, 07:19 PM
Post #414

Michael

The car is home now. The oil pressure and warning light were resolved by swapping the 2 wires. Buttoned up the oil cooler/fan shroud and with Greg lying under the car I turned on the fans and they blow air out the floor louvers nicely. Reinstalled the rear valance, wiped the car down and took her for a drive. Everything works beautifully. I am amazed how nice it runs; no smoke, no drips, just great running.

On the way home, weather was over 100 degrees the entire way and she ran at 185 degrees. I was doing between 65 and 80 the entire trip- 107 miles. Effortless acceleration and power. Now I still do not have my back pad installed, I need to order some seatbelt hardware to get the passenger belt installed and then I will see about installing the back pad. Regardless, the engine is quiet. I used to have to drive with AirPods and play music because the 3.2 was a bit rowdy.

I will be posting pictures probably tomorrow, but I need to give her a detail and then take some photos.

Thanks to Greg T. and his wife Sandi for tolerating my brother and I during this entire process. Greg is a true Master mechanic and it definitely shows on my car. Thanks to my twin brother Bob who supported this decision and helped throughout the process, as did HB, our good friend. It was a great adventure and a terrific learning experience for me. Heck, I might even attempt the oil/filter change on my own in a couple hundred miles.

Cheers,
Michael (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
Shivers
post Aug 4 2024, 07:46 PM
Post #415

Member No.: 24,781

Congratulations! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
eric9144
post Aug 5 2024, 02:49 PM
Post #416

Advanced Member

Member No.: 12,876

QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Aug 2 2024, 06:52 AM) *

We do not have the back-pad, seatbelts or the floor mats installed yet.
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)
Ah memories of picking up my car...with no seatbelts.

The 3.6 is a totally different beast than the 3.2, not bashing the 3.2 by any means but the 3.6 is kind of glorious, especially when you're foot becomes more accustomed to the power curves etc. My only advice at this point is ease into it, you'll be surprised at just how capable and fast, yet oddly civilized that motor can be--and congratulations on the next chapter with your -big- 6 (IMG:style_emoticons/default/cheer.gif)
+Quote Post
Cairo94507
post Aug 5 2024, 03:17 PM
Post #417

Michael

Thanks Eric; Totally agree re the feel of the 3.6. Here are a couple photos of how the engine bay turned out. Given all of the stuff on these engines, I think we did a pretty good job of making it look as uncluttered as possible.

A big thanks to Greg and Steve's good friend, Cayley for making those absolutely beautiful "Mickey Mouse" ears.

Also to Clewett Engineering for their terrific serpentine belt kit- I think that is a must-do upgrade for a 6 in a 914.

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image
+Quote Post
mb911
post Aug 5 2024, 03:28 PM
Post #418

914 Guru

Member No.: 9,892
Region Association: Upper MidWest

I bet that thing will have rubber on the rear of the 1/4”s pretty easy. I can only imagine. My car feels like a beast now that it has the fuel injection operating well I can’t imagine what a 3.6 would be like
+Quote Post
rick 918-S
post Aug 5 2024, 09:30 PM
Post #419

Hey nice rack! -Celette

Member No.: 43
Region Association: Northstar Region

Damn I saw that reflection on the front fender lip and thought it was damaged! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/huh.gif)

You are are going to need alot more rubber (IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif)
+Quote Post
SirAndy
post Aug 5 2024, 09:42 PM
Post #420

Resident German

Member No.: 179

QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Aug 5 2024, 08:30 PM) *

You are are going to need alot more rubber (IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif)

Not that much more. Sticky 225's all around have worked very well for me on the street.
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)
+Quote Post

24 Pages V « < 19 20 21 22 23 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
3 User(s) are reading this topic (3 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th September 2024 - 01:03 PM