Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V < 1 2 3  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> I know another oil question, Amsoil vs VR1 vs Driven
Literati914
post Jul 25 2024, 01:28 PM
Post #41

Group: Members
Member No.: 7,222
Region Association: Southwest Region

QUOTE(Justinp71 @ Jul 25 2024, 12:49 PM) *

This reminds be of the old Chevron Delo 400 oil which was good stuff, ..

Yep, that’s what I was thinking too. I feel there’s so much smoke and mirrors in the oil biz that one could be the other, after it’s discontinued- makes room for an “improved “ version of the original brand and an opportunity for a cheaper option elsewhere. Just antidotal but I read a comment once where someone had mentioned visiting an oil packaging area at a plant.. said they were packaging 5 brands.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
targa72e
post Jul 25 2024, 10:42 PM
Post #42

Member No.: 20,392
Region Association: None

I will throw my 2cent opinion in base on what I have looked at over time.

First is that oil formulations for the same product change all the time. So the oil that was perfect 5 years ago may be in the same bottle today but be totally different.

Second: Synthetic is almost always better then Dino. Synthetic was engineered to have the desired properties vs adding additives to get the properties you want.

Third: There is no one best oil. The oil that works great in your turbo diesel truck might be bad for you 50 year old air cooled engine.

This was posted over on Pelican and I thought the strategy for finding the best oil for your car was interesting. They are a big fan of oil analysis. Unfortunately base on the test criteria (approx 4K miles) for many of us that may be several years and not be
relevant.

https://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsche-911...il-science.html

john
+Quote Post
mb911
post Aug 6 2024, 08:19 AM
Post #43

914 Guru

Member No.: 9,892
Region Association: Upper MidWest

Just wanted to comment real quick on here. I did use GTX oil with an additional zddp additive but switched to MANN filter and cut apart the old Mahle filter. I am done with Mahle filters they are now junk. It was stuck in bypass. The Mann filter is much better quality
+Quote Post

3 Pages V < 1 2 3
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 7th September 2024 - 05:43 PM