Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Installing new Dansk gas tank - having issues
DC_neun_vierzehn
post May 28 2024, 11:11 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 24,893
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

I have a '73 2.0.

About a year and a half ago, when we pulled the motor and trans for sending out to the rebuilder, I did a lot of research on whether to try and restore my gas tank or buy a new aftermarket tank. The inside of my tank is grungy. Most of my research and most of the helpful folks here on 914 World guided my decision to a new Dansk tank.

I called George to make sure I was ordering the Dansk tank, and all of the correct additional parts (sock, washers, replacement lines, clamps, etc.). Because I had read/heard so many stories of the original batch of 914 Dansk tanks not fitting, I also made sure to ask if I was getting a newer Dansk tank that would actually fit. The tank and parts arrived while I awaited the conclusion of the motor and trans rebuild.

Now ... fast forward to last weekend, when I finally could dive in and swamp out the tanks.

I used several old posts here on 914 World and Pelican to help me with the step by step remove and install process. Thus, I WAS ALREADY aware of the issue I would need to tackle of either shimmying the plastic bridge under the strap or removing some material from the top rib of the tank as detailed in THIS POST.

However, one of my last steps before tackling that was to install the expansion tank and fuel filler on the new Dansk tank. That's where I ran into problems. If I install the fuel filler first, I cannot get the expansion tank on. if I install the expansion tank first, I cannot get the fuel filler on. They interfere with each other indicating that the mounts for the expansion tank are too far over on the passenger side (or the fuel filler hole in the tank is too far toward the driver side). Also, it looks like the fuel sending until it not resting in the indented section on the bottom of the expansion tank further preventing installation of it.

Before calling Auto Atlanta, I wanted to check here to see if anybody else has run into this exact issue installing a new Dansk tank? Does it sound like I have sent an old non-fitting Dansk tank? Other thoughts/ideas/suggestion?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
DC_neun_vierzehn
post May 28 2024, 11:17 AM
Post #2

Here's a pic of the fuel filler installed, but the expansion tank just resting unable to get into position to the mount on each side. The circled area is where the contact/interference is occurring.

Attached Image

Attached Image

Here's a pic to show the mount not matching up one the PS.

Attached Image

Here's a pic to show the mount not matching up one the DS.

Attached Image
+Quote Post
rjames
post May 28 2024, 11:50 AM
Post #3

I'm made of metal

Member No.: 4,467
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Edited- thought I had found a thread with info other than the one you posted to, but it was for a different issue.

Any chance that your tank is for the later plastic expansion tanks?
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
BillJ
post May 28 2024, 12:00 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 15,610
Region Association: None

Maybe bend the inside bracket out to pull away from the overflow?
+Quote Post
DC_neun_vierzehn
post May 28 2024, 01:10 PM
Post #5

QUOTE(BillJ @ May 28 2024, 12:00 PM) *

Maybe bend the inside bracket out to pull away from the overflow?

That may work, but I'm doubtful based on how far they would need to move. I'd guess it's around an inch or so. And I'm not sure the sender top and plug would still line up with the indentation in the bottom of the expansion tank.

And if this is the wrong tank and I need to ship it back, I don't want to modify it at all.
+Quote Post
BillJ
post May 28 2024, 01:24 PM
Post #6

The tab difference is orientation if memory serves. It is rotated 90 degrees. So this is the right tank in theory
+Quote Post
wonkipop
post May 28 2024, 06:58 PM
Post #7

Advanced Member

Member No.: 24,231
Region Association: NineFourteenerVille

this might help? not sure.

does it have the tabs etc for the charcoal can or not?

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=370394
+Quote Post
DC_neun_vierzehn
post May 29 2024, 07:24 AM
Post #8

QUOTE(wonkipop @ May 28 2024, 06:58 PM) *

this might help? not sure.

does it have the tabs etc for the charcoal can or not?

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=370394

Yes, it has all of the correct tabs, including those for the charcoal canister. The charcoal canister mounted fine.

It's just the tabs for the expansion tank that appear to be off in their location.
+Quote Post
DC_neun_vierzehn
post May 29 2024, 07:30 AM
Post #9

The measurement between the two tabs appears to be the same on the old and new tanks (approx. 41 mm).

OLD TANK:

Attached Image

NEW TANK:

Attached Image
+Quote Post
DC_neun_vierzehn
post May 29 2024, 07:54 AM
Post #10

However, the measurements do not match re distance from the center of the filler hole to the drivers side tab for the expansion tank (which is the reason I cannot get the expansion tank of after bolting down the fuel filler piece). The driver side tab is 10 mm further toward the driver side as you can see in the pics below (old tank is approx. 27.5 mm and the new tank is approx. 26.5 mm).

OLD TANK:

Attached Image

NEW TANK:

Attached Image
+Quote Post
BillC
post May 29 2024, 08:11 AM
Post #11

Member No.: 18,667

I think you found the problem -- the fuel filler hole seems to be in the wrong place.

Sounds like a call to AA is in order.
+Quote Post
wonkipop
post May 29 2024, 08:48 AM
Post #12

Advanced Member

Member No.: 24,231
Region Association: NineFourteenerVille

QUOTE(BillC @ May 29 2024, 08:11 AM) *

I think you found the problem -- the fuel filler hole seems to be in the wrong place.

Sounds like a call to AA is in order.

yeah

it is some kind of dansk screw up?
like maybe they did a late tank filler location in an early tank.
i mean even the "experts" did not seem to have their heads around what went down in the frenzy of 1974. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
914s. mystery that could trip up anyone doing spare parts, (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)

+Quote Post
BillJ
post May 29 2024, 10:37 AM
Post #13

Bending isn't going to cover 10mm lol!!! Yeah you should call George.
+Quote Post
dr914@autoatlanta.com
post May 29 2024, 10:59 AM
Post #14

914 Guru

Member No.: 7,418

do the brackets line up like your old tank? If not, maybe the bracket can be bumped over a bit? We have not run into the problem you are showing but HAVE run into the bracket being too tall on the inboard for the expansion tank

QUOTE(DC_neun_vierzehn @ May 28 2024, 10:11 AM) *

I have a '73 2.0.

About a year and a half ago, when we pulled the motor and trans for sending out to the rebuilder, I did a lot of research on whether to try and restore my gas tank or buy a new aftermarket tank. The inside of my tank is grungy. Most of my research and most of the helpful folks here on 914 World guided my decision to a new Dansk tank.

I called George to make sure I was ordering the Dansk tank, and all of the correct additional parts (sock, washers, replacement lines, clamps, etc.). Because I had read/heard so many stories of the original batch of 914 Dansk tanks not fitting, I also made sure to ask if I was getting a newer Dansk tank that would actually fit. The tank and parts arrived while I awaited the conclusion of the motor and trans rebuild.

Now ... fast forward to last weekend, when I finally could dive in and swamp out the tanks.

I used several old posts here on 914 World and Pelican to help me with the step by step remove and install process. Thus, I WAS ALREADY aware of the issue I would need to tackle of either shimmying the plastic bridge under the strap or removing some material from the top rib of the tank as detailed in THIS POST.

However, one of my last steps before tackling that was to install the expansion tank and fuel filler on the new Dansk tank. That's where I ran into problems. If I install the fuel filler first, I cannot get the expansion tank on. if I install the expansion tank first, I cannot get the fuel filler on. They interfere with each other indicating that the mounts for the expansion tank are too far over on the passenger side (or the fuel filler hole in the tank is too far toward the driver side). Also, it looks like the fuel sending until it not resting in the indented section on the bottom of the expansion tank further preventing installation of it.

Before calling Auto Atlanta, I wanted to check here to see if anybody else has run into this exact issue installing a new Dansk tank? Does it sound like I have sent an old non-fitting Dansk tank? Other thoughts/ideas/suggestion?

+Quote Post
DC_neun_vierzehn
post May 29 2024, 11:55 AM
Post #15

Hi George. Thanks for chiming in and trying to help.

Yes, the expansion tank and fuel filler piece fit perfectly on the original tank.

I'm not a welder, but even if I were, I could not move over the tabs for the expansion tank further to the DS, because as I mentioned earlier, the sender top and plug would then not line up with the indentation on the bottom of the expansion tank. All of this is adding up to the fuel filler hole in the tank is too far toward the DS. That seems to be throwing all of the geometry off for the expansion tank and fuel filler pieces.

@dr914 @autoatlanta.com are you able to pull one of these Dansk tanks off of your shelves and try to mount a fuel filler and expansion tank to it to see if it fits?

QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ May 29 2024, 10:59 AM) *

do the brackets line up like your old tank? If not, maybe the bracket can be bumped over a bit? We have not run into the problem you are showing but HAVE run into the bracket being too tall on the inboard for the expansion tank

QUOTE(DC_neun_vierzehn @ May 28 2024, 10:11 AM) *

I have a '73 2.0.

+Quote Post
DC_neun_vierzehn
post May 30 2024, 12:39 PM
Post #16

Spoke with George on the phone today. He's going to reach out to Dansk for me tomorrow.
+Quote Post
bkrantz
post May 30 2024, 07:59 PM
Post #17

914 Guru

Member No.: 23,343
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

How grungy is the inside of the old tank? That might be less significant than any rust-through or thin spots, typically from the outside in, and commonly where the stock felt pads held moisture against the tank. Maybe reconsider restoring your original tank?
+Quote Post
DC_neun_vierzehn
post May 31 2024, 07:02 AM
Post #18

QUOTE(bkrantz @ May 30 2024, 07:59 PM) *

How grungy is the inside of the old tank? That might be less significant than any rust-through or thin spots, typically from the outside in, and commonly where the stock felt pads held moisture against the tank. Maybe reconsider restoring your original tank?

The original tank is rough inside. It looks like a PO tried to restore the inside with some sort of coating which is peeling and rust underneath. The gas I drained had noticeable floaters/debris. The fuel filter was pretty clogged. The tank is heading to the dump.
+Quote Post
76-914
post May 31 2024, 07:25 AM
Post #19

Repeat Offender & Resident Subaru Antagonist

Member No.: 9,964
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(DC_neun_vierzehn @ May 31 2024, 06:02 AM) *

The original tank is rough inside. It looks like a PO tried to restore the inside with some sort of coating which is peeling and rust underneath. The gas I drained had noticeable floaters/debris. The fuel filter was pretty clogged. The tank is heading to the dump.

FWIW, I just replaced my tank with a new one. I didn't have that option in 2014. After 10 years of housing modern day gasoline the liner dissolved and the resulting sludge resembled some Witches brew. This brew then took out my fuel pump & 2 in-line filters! Currently the old tank is in the back of my truck in the box that the new one came in. Just waiting for some opportunistic thief to lighten my load. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/happy11.gif)
+Quote Post
930cabman
post May 31 2024, 09:03 AM
Post #20

Advanced Member

Member No.: 24,877
Region Association: North East States

QUOTE(DC_neun_vierzehn @ May 31 2024, 07:02 AM) *

The best place for it, attempting to resurrect an old crappy fuel tank is going nowhere

I am sure George/Dansk will make it right
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 7th September 2024 - 08:31 PM