Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Shifter "centering" and accidental reverse, Update - fixed
Spoke
post Jul 6 2024, 10:48 AM
Post #21

Jerry

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,031
Region Association: None

My shifter works quite well but if I get real aggressive shifting from 1st to 2nd I sometimes nick reverse.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Shivers
post Jul 6 2024, 11:05 AM
Post #22

Member No.: 24,781
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(burlybryan @ Jul 3 2024, 02:39 PM) *

Welded and reinstalled. Having a blast trying to re-find the gears.

Found these threads from dr evil and Chris.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...91028&st=20

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=188120

Got the gears back by twisting on the rod in the tunnel (Chris's method), but need to fine tune. Not going directly into reverse anymore, but still nicking it when going to second sometimes.

Seems from the threads that this requires some very particular fine tuning.

That came with time. Muscle memory will help but all it has is that plate. That was why I added springs. When I come out of first, I’m hoping that plate will snap over quick enough to keep me out of reverse. 4th to 2nd was another when shifting quick. Again hoping that plate will be firm enough to keep me out most of the time.
+Quote Post
rhodyguy
post Jul 6 2024, 11:31 AM
Post #23

Chimp Sanctuary NW. Check it out.

Member No.: 378
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

The shift lever should ‘jump’ in to the 2/3 part of the pattern and the detent plate acts as a guide for 2nd. No banging gears. That’s for Cameros and mustangs. Get rolling in first, go to 2nd and nail it if that’s what you want. Somewhat of a convoluted system.
+Quote Post
fiacra
post Jul 6 2024, 04:58 PM
Post #24

Person.Woman.Man.Camera.TV

Member No.: 22,920
Region Association: Northern California

I've got nothing helpful to add to this thread, other than a bit of humor from the sales literature for the 914. "Shifting is fun, too, with our quick and precise 5-speed gearbox."

Attached Image
+Quote Post
emerygt350
post Jul 6 2024, 07:42 PM
Post #25

Advanced Member

Member No.: 25,740
Region Association: North East States

Although I think mine shifts really nicely, I would never use the word quick. And probably not precise. Whenever I use to catch reverse on my way to 2nd it was because the cone screw was coming loose. New firewall bushing and some loctite fixed that.
+Quote Post
worn
post Jul 7 2024, 07:47 PM
Post #26

can't remember

Member No.: 13,152
Region Association: Upper MidWest

QUOTE(emerygt350 @ Jul 6 2024, 06:42 PM) *

Although I think mine shifts really nicely, I would never use the word quick. And probably not precise. Whenever I use to catch reverse on my way to 2nd it was because the cone screw was coming loose. New firewall bushing and some loctite fixed that.

That was truly a laughing out loud article. I can attest to the fact that MG and Triumph competitors had no such sloppiness. The reverse lights at least warn the followers at the green light of the sudden and remarkable 0-20 mph times produced by a well handled 914.
+Quote Post
Dr Evil
post Jul 8 2024, 11:54 AM
Post #27

Send me your transmission!

Member No.: 1,372
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

QUOTE(burlybryan @ Jul 3 2024, 05:39 PM) *

Welded and reinstalled. Having a blast trying to re-find the gears.

Found these threads from dr evil and Chris.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...91028&st=20

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=188120

Got the gears back by twisting on the rod in the tunnel (Chris's method), but need to fine tune. Not going directly into reverse anymore, but still nicking it when going to second sometimes.

Seems from the threads that this requires some very particular fine tuning.

When you adjust the rod, have the shifter in 2/3rd gear and resting on the spring plate. That will assure that when you tighten everything up, the spring plate will guide your shifter to the right location without grinding. When I adjust 914 boxes, then never grind unless the person is fighting the spring plate. Literally, you can shift with one/two fingers pushing forward from 1st and it will self select 2nd. You just input forward pressure.
+Quote Post
burlybryan
post Jul 12 2024, 03:39 PM
Post #28

Member No.: 24,311

[/quote]

When you adjust the rod, have the shifter in 2/3rd gear and resting on the spring plate. That will assure that when you tighten everything up, the spring plate will guide your shifter to the right location without grinding. When I adjust 914 boxes, then never grind unless the person is fighting the spring plate. Literally, you can shift with one/two fingers pushing forward from 1st and it will self select 2nd. You just input forward pressure.
[/quote]

Thanks to everyone for helping me understand the dynamics. I've driven with it messed up for so long I didn't understand the feel and geometry of the correct adjustment.

Dr. Evil's last comment (quoted above) was a light bulb moment. I had adjusted it too far to one side and had lost 2nd and 3rd. When readjusting with the shifter in 3rd and resting along the shift plate (vice grip on the shifter rod to keep it steady), the gears magically aligned.

It also took a while to understand how the shifter plate works for the gear alignments and you have to set aside the perceived "H" pattern because when in 1st, you're already set up to align with second. Now, when I push up from first it goes smoothly straight into second (like Dr. Evil describes). Not even a hint of nicking reverse. 4th and 5th are there too. I may still massage it a tiny bit, but this is like night and day over the worn and misaligned position it used to be in.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
ChrisFoley
post Jul 13 2024, 04:29 AM
Post #29

I am Tangerine Racing

Member No.: 209

QUOTE(rgalla9146 @ Jul 5 2024, 12:40 PM) *

Mark the splined shaft for depth and spline position.
Keep the current depth and rotate one spline either clockwise or CCW.
Drive it.
Better ? or worse ? if better go one more spline. IF worse go two splines in the opposite direction.
You'll know when it is getting better.

With 36 splines, a movement of one spline is 10 degrees.
Most of the time, the amount of rotation required to correct a misalignment is only a degree or two.
Good thing there are no splines on the ID of the mating piece.
+Quote Post
burlybryan
post Jul 13 2024, 10:02 AM
Post #30

Member No.: 24,311

[/quote]
With 36 splines, a movement of one spline is 10 degrees.
Most of the time, the amount of rotation required to correct a misalignment is only a degree or two.
Good thing there are no splines on the ID of the mating piece.
[/quote]

Thats what had me confused initially because I assumed both the shaft and clamp were splined. Your shift adjuster is the shit and I may still pull the trigger on it. I'm having to relearn how to shift this car since it was wrong for so long. It's a significant effort to pull the lever over to drop into first, but that could be the new stiff springs and no longer worn plate and shaft. 2nd/3rd and 4th/5th currently feel a little close together.
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 7th September 2024 - 05:30 PM