Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Tank Rinse
rick 918-S
post Jul 18 2024, 06:56 AM
Post #21

Hey nice rack! -Celette

Group: Members
Member No.: 43
Region Association: Northstar Region

QUOTE(Jack Standz @ Jun 24 2024, 01:18 PM) *

Removing the tank is one fastener on the strap & disconnecting the fuel lines (that are being or should be replaced if they have any age at all on them). IIRC replacing the in-tank screen/"sock" isn't easy with the tank still in, but I'm not sure.

If it's loose dirt or crud that you're trying to clean out, how could you get it out with the reserve tank/reservoir at the bottom of the tank? (Maybe using the above "mop" method)

Take it outside and spray some carb cleaner in there, maybe let it soak awhile, then rinse out with some fuel.

I flipped the tank over on a set of saw horses and used the garden hose to flush it. I] also have a pressure washer that has a little more force. Then turn the tank on the side where there is a large gap between the baffle and the tank and continue to rinse. Repeat the washing soda process until you are confident you have it clean. Then dump in Marvel Mystery Oil or W-D 40 or something similar to preserve the tank until you start to use it.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Literati914
post Jul 20 2024, 01:46 PM
Post #22

Member No.: 7,222
Region Association: Southwest Region

QUOTE(Jack Standz @ Jun 24 2024, 01:18 PM) *

Removing the tank is one fastener on the strap & disconnecting the fuel lines

I just wanted to add that the expansion tank needs to be removed BEFORE the tank comes out of it's mounted location. The reason is because the electrical plug is installed under it, and can not be disconnected until the expansion tank is removed.

I recently forgot this fact when pulling the tank for my M/C install. My wiring harness was missing the actual electrical plug to the level sender when I got the car... and I'd always wondered how that happened. I spliced in a replacement though, and installed the tank etc. Then several weeks later while having to remove the tank again for the M/C install - I forgot to remove the expansion tank, and disconnect the electrical plug and ended up ripping my wiring splice(s), so I got to do that over again (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)
+Quote Post
flyer86d
post Jul 20 2024, 03:20 PM
Post #23

Member No.: 12,585
Region Association: North East States

Our 73 911 sat for years after we had Jim Newton repaint it in 1988. The tank crudded up from sitting with old gas. The first go at it in 2000 was to pull the screen and clean it with brakekleen and we were able to drive it from New Jersey to Vermont and a few trips around the Valley. Then it spent the next 15 years in the garage except to pull it out, wash it, Sue would say let’s take it for a ride. Then no, what happens if we get a stone chip and back it goes into the garage for another year. We finally decided to sell in 2017 and the car would always quit, run rough, stall, etc. Replaced the fuel lines and tank screen fitting and flushed the tank with Muriatic acid. Worked great for a year then it started doing the same thing. Replaced the tank with a new one and problem solved. If your car is going to sit like ours did, fill the tank with 100LL avgas. Airplanes sit and a gas does not sour like auto gas does. Don’t run a gas in a car with cats as it has lead.

Good luck as this was a loooong road!

Charlie
+Quote Post
technicalninja
post Jul 20 2024, 03:30 PM
Post #24

Member No.: 27,135
Region Association: Southwest Region

QUOTE(flyer86d @ Jul 20 2024, 04:20 PM) *

Our 73 911 sat for years after we had Jim Newton repaint it in 1988. The tank crudded up from sitting with old gas. The first go at it in 2000 was to pull the screen and clean it with brakekleen and we were able to drive it from New Jersey to Vermont and a few trips around the Valley. Then it spent the next 15 years in the garage except to pull it out, wash it, Sue would say let’s take it for a ride. Then no, what happens if we get a stone chip and back it goes into the garage for another year. We finally decided to sell in 2017 and the car would always quit, run rough, stall, etc. Replaced the fuel lines and tank screen fitting and flushed the tank with Muriatic acid. Worked great for a year then it started doing the same thing. Replaced the tank with a new one and problem solved. If your car is going to sit like ours did, fill the tank with 100LL avgas. Airplanes sit and a gas does not sour like auto gas does. Don’t run a gas in a car with cats as it has lead.

Good luck as this was a loooong road!

Charlie

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)

One of my customer cars, a 1970 Chevelle SS currently has 10+ year old 100LL in it.
Works FINE!
Same guy ran 100LL in his lawn equipment. At the 5 year point they started misfiring.
Tank perfect!
Carb perfect!
Plug, badly lead fouled!
Clean plug.
Good for another 5?

I have used muriatic acid as well with same results.

I REALLY like rick 918-S suggestions and will try that the next time I need to clean a nasty tank out.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 7th September 2024 - 05:58 PM