Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Pedrini vs Mahle wheels
Geezer914
post Jun 22 2024, 05:51 AM
Post #1

Geezer914

Group: Members
Member No.: 10,179
Region Association: North East States

Which wheel do you like better, Pedrini or Mahle? I think the Mahle would offer more cooling because of the larger openings.(IMG:style_emoticons/default/cheer.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies(1 - 11)
mepstein
post Jun 22 2024, 06:10 AM
Post #2

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

I know you didn’t ask but 2.0 Fuchs are much better. Forged, not cast. Big difference in strength. Many Mahle’s and Pedrini’s are bent. Fuchs much less often.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
ClayPerrine
post Jun 22 2024, 06:18 AM
Post #3

Life's been good to me so far.....

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,143
Region Association: NineFourteenerVille

QUOTE(mepstein @ Jun 22 2024, 07:10 AM) *

I know you didn’t ask but 2.0 Fuchs are much better. Forged, not cast. Big difference in strength. Many Mahle’s and Pedrini’s are bent. Fuchs much less often.

However, the Fuchs will crack. I have two cracked 4 Lug Fuchs. One is now an end table in our den. The other is on the wheel rack in the garage. Betty found the first one on her car one day when washing it. It was a beautifully refinished wheel, and when we took it off, the crack ran all the way across one of the paddles. I swapped it for the spare, and turned it into an end table for the den.

So carefully check them for cracks. A failure at speed would be a terrible disaster.

+Quote Post
Freezin 914
post Jun 22 2024, 06:58 AM
Post #4

Member No.: 17,687
Region Association: Upper MidWest

I think they both look good on our cars, I agree the Mahle probably would provide a slight edge in cooling. But aesthetically they both look good, and for what it’s worth a little variety is good.
+Quote Post
TJB/914
post Jun 22 2024, 07:15 AM
Post #5

Mid-Engn.

Member No.: 346
Region Association: Upper MidWest

QUOTE(Freezin 914 @ Jun 22 2024, 08:58 AM) *

I think they both look good on our cars, I agree the Mahle probably would provide a slight edge in cooling. But aesthetically they both look good, and for what it’s worth a little variety is good.

Guys,
I have (5) perfect powder coated silver Mahle wheels to sell. I bought them from mepstein about 15+ years ago, got them & powder coated them.
Don't need them anymore.
Tom

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Jun 22 2024, 07:58 AM
Post #6

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

QUOTE(TJB/914 @ Jun 22 2024, 09:15 AM) *

Guys,
I have (5) perfect powder coated silver Mahle wheels to sell. I bought them from mepstein about 15+ years ago, got them & powder coated them.
Don't need them anymore.
Tom

They were from an 80k mile, one owner car. One of the few sets I’ve had that had no dents, dings or flat spots. Tom had them refinished to look fantastic.
+Quote Post
Craigers17
post Jun 22 2024, 08:33 AM
Post #7

Member No.: 21,317
Region Association: South East States

QUOTE(TJB/914 @ Jun 22 2024, 07:15 AM) *

Guys,
Don't need them anymore.
Tom

That’s a beautiful set! In answer to OP’s question,… Mahles are the better option…they look better IMHO and they are lighter.
+Quote Post
dr914@autoatlanta.com
post Jun 22 2024, 09:24 AM
Post #8

914 Guru

Member No.: 7,418
Region Association: None

mahle. PLUS mahle will fit all years, pedrini will have to be checked for the 00 or 01 suffix to determine whether it will fit 70-72 only or 70-76

HOWEVER, if you have a 70-72 car, (or the 01 suffix for 73 1.7 ONLY), Pedrini is the factory option

QUOTE(Geezer914 @ Jun 22 2024, 04:51 AM) *

Which wheel do you like better, Pedrini or Mahle? I think the Mahle would offer more cooling because of the larger openings.(IMG:style_emoticons/default/cheer.gif)

+Quote Post
Osnabruck914
post Jun 22 2024, 09:37 AM
Post #9

Member No.: 27,038
Region Association: South East States

Obviously I am partial to Mahles.

Attached Image
+Quote Post
KELTY360
post Jun 22 2024, 01:55 PM
Post #10

914 Neferati

Member No.: 5,344
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

I’m partial to Mahles. When I got my current 914 I went looking specifically for a set of Mahles and met Garrett Goldsmith, RIP, who loved 914s even though his MS prevented him from driving one. That led to him hosting two fantastic BBQs for PNW teeners. I’ll never forget that bit of serendipity.

BBQ WITH GREAT PICS AT END
+Quote Post
Dave_Darling
post Jun 22 2024, 08:26 PM
Post #11

914 Idiot

Member No.: 121
Region Association: Northern California

Pedrini came in two versions. Most of the ones out there have a "00" suffix on the part number. These do not fit hub-centric wheels without modifications, so they only really work on 70-late 72 914 front hubs. (They are fine for the rears.)

The Pedrinis with the "01" suffix will fit all regular four-bolt 914 hubs just fine. These came out either in late 72 or in the 73 model year. These are cast aluminum.

The Mahles were all made to fit hub-centric hubs, no mods required. I think these came out in the 73 model year. I believe that these are also cast aluminum. The assertion that they are magnesium, I think, comes from confusing them with the five-bolt Mahles which are indeed cast magnesium.

In my experience, the Mahles are lighter than the Pedrinis. It probably won't make a big difference to most people, but I do like the idea of lighter wheels more than heavier ones.

Of those two, I would prefer the Mahle wheels because of the weight and appearance.

All wheels can crack with age and use. Any wheel you buy should be inspected, not just the Fuchs wheels.

The stock Fuchs alloy wheels are forged, not cast. They are lighter than the other two options by my measurements, and generally stronger. I also like the look of these when they are not painted.

--DD
+Quote Post
sixnotfour
post Jun 23 2024, 11:57 PM
Post #12

914 Wizard

Member No.: 2,744
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

QUOTE(KELTY360 @ Jun 22 2024, 01:55 PM) *

I’m partial to Mahles. When I got my current 914 I went looking specifically for a set of Mahles and met Garrett Goldsmith, RIP, who loved 914s even though his MS prevented him from driving one. That led to him hosting two fantastic BBQs for PNW teeners. I’ll never forget that bit of serendipity.

BBQ WITH GREAT PICS AT END

WoW,, Blast from the Past... It was a Great day... my green GT.

And Yes Mahles look best esp when 7 inch wide..

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th June 2024 - 05:58 PM