Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Forum Rules Classified Rules!

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Original 914-6 with Subaru WRX STi Motor FS, 914-6 Race Car with Built Subaru WRX STi Turbo Motor
johnnydeeiii
post Jun 27 2024, 03:38 PM
Post #1

I'm new here ...

Group: Members
Member No.: 20,539
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Original Porsche 914-6 Race Car Chassis with Subaru WRX STi Engine Swap

Hello. I am selling my factory original Porsche 914-6 (vin number 9140430864) with Subraru WRX STi 2.0L turbo motor and wanted to provide greater detail on this no expense spared build than space allows on BaT or PCar Market. I’m a PCA member since 1975 and would be happy to discuss any aspect of this car in greater detail.

The vehicle was converted to a race car in 1971 and competed in the SCCA C production series from 1972 to 1982. After 1982 it was stored for 10 years until I bought it in1991. I have the original SCCA logbook which comes with the car and a bill of sale. The car was never titled after converted to race trim. Fun fact: The car also won the Ladies SCCA national championship in 1975 and I have the documentation for that as well.

I vintage raced the car with SVRA and HSR using a Porsche 2.0L twin plug motor and 901 transmission from 1992 until the mid-2000s with much success until we built a clone (converted 914-4) car in 2007. At that time, we removed the Porsche engine and trans for the clone car.

The chassis was stored until 2010 when I decided to add the Subaru turbo motor for HPDE use. The water-cooled conversion and motor mounting fabrication was done by Kevin Ryan of Ryan Restorations in Columbus, OH. Kevin is a master fabricator with 40 years of experience and has done ground up restorations of Porsche 910s, 908s, and 907s which are currently in the Revs Institute/Collier Museum in Naples, FL. You will see from the attached pictures the exquisite quality of the fab work done.

With respect to the JDM motor, it is a 2002 2.0L turbo EJ20 that was completely disassembled and re-built by Justice Racing Engines in Winchester, VA. At that time, a rare higher volume VF22 turbo was fitted. Rods and pistons were replaced with Pauter forged rods and JE forged race pistons. Calico bearings were also installed. If you know the EJ20 motors, you will know that they came with a factory forged crank. A custom flywheel was made by JB Racing in Tavares, FL to accommodate a three-disc Tilton clutch to handle the increased torque that the tuned Subaru turbo motor produces. A Peterson dry sump oiling system was fitted that included an ARE flat dry sump cover. This allowed us to place the motor another four inches lower in the car than the typical wet sump Subie motor engine swaps.

To handle the increased torque, the gearbox in the car is a 1978 Porsche “long bell housing” 930 turbo transmission that has had the ring gear swapped to allow for mid-engined mounting. It is fitted with a ZF factory limited slip transmission. This transmission is the box of choice for many high horsepower kit car builds like the GT 40 because it is so stout and durable. This is the same transmission that the vaunted 800+ hp Porsche 935 race cars used to dominate sports car racing in the mid to late 70s. The transmission was recently rebuilt by Scott Windecker at 901 Shop in Stuart, FL and has no miles on it since complete rebuild. The gearbox alone has invoices totaling over $15,000.

The handling qualities of the Porsche 914 platform are legendary but when you add the compact size, light weight and high output of the Subaru 4-cylinder turbo motor you have real magic. Importantly, with this configuration you can push the motor further forward in the engine bay (4 cylinders vs 6) and run it level with the bottom of the chassis due to the dry sump system. Weight balance is superb, and the low weight in a 2100 lb car makes this a handling dream. In HPDEs in capable hands, the car can run with late model Porsche Cup cars. Below is a listing of all the upgrades that were done to make this car what it is today:

Engine

• OEM EJ20 STi Forged crank
• Pauter forged rods
• JE forged pistons
• Peterson/ARE dry sump conversion
• Vipec ECU tuned by Diebold Autosport in Winchester, VA
• 340 whp and 310 wtq. See photo of dyno results.
• Siemens injector upgrade
• VF22 turbo (designed for up to 25 psi and 400 hp on 2.0L)
• Custom stainless-steel headers and straight exhaust with no cat
• Auxiliary Davies Craig electric water pump
• C&R Custom radiator
• Custom air to water intercooler capable of up to 500 hp
• Deadenbear intercooler coolant pump
• Porsche factory 914-6 oil tank and filter assembly
• System One in line oil filter
• 310 lb-ft of torque at the wheels and 340 hp.
• Setrab external engine cooler

Transmission

• Porsche 1978 930 “long bell housing” gear box serial number 930134-12-7791747
• Four speed gear box with the following ratios:
o R&P 9:38
o 1st 20:32
o 2nd 25:28
o 3rd 27:25
o 4th 30:22
• Porsche factory ZF limited slip differential
• Half shafts made of 300M alloy with 930 CV joints
• External oil cooler and all plumbing including internal spray bar
• Custom JB Racing flywheel with 3-disc Tilton race clutch.
• Cable shifter
• Polyurethane front engine mounts
• Wevo/Porsche rear transmission mounts
• Setrab transmission external oil cooler
• System One trans filter

Brakes/Wheels

• 944 Turbo brakes all around with red calipers
• Tilton aluminum pedal assembly with dual master cylinder and cockpit adjustable balance bar.
• 7 x 15 front and 8 x 15 rear Fuchs alloy wheels refinished by Weidman Wheels in satin anodized rims and spokes.

Suspension

• Penske double-adjustable rear coil-over shocks with 325 lb rear springs
• Koni coil-over front struts:
o Double-adjustable
o Spindles lowered 19 mm and gusseted
o Steering arms modified for bump steer and double shear plates added.
o 400 lb springs
• Reinforced rear trailing arms with bracing/tubes added to prevent flex
• 914 chassis stiffening kit
• Updated aluminum front cross member
• Steering rack spacers
• Turbo tie-rod ends
• “Charlie Bar” front adjustable sway bar
• Elephant Racing polybronze bearings on front control arms and rear trailing arms.

Chassis

• Original 914-6 trans mount still in place and engine mounting piece also comes with car.
• Steel factory 914-6GT flares front and rear.
• Euro taillight lenses.
• Adjustable Rear wing with 10 5/8” cord, 68” width, and wickerbill.
• Fiberglass front and rear deck lids from Getty Design.
• Custom design fiberglass front spoiler.
• Traditional torque clip style hood pins as found on 914-6GT cars.
• Auto meter gauge package including boost gauge.
• Recaro race seat.
• Custom Fuel Safe fuel cell with Bosch 044 high performance in tank fuel pump. Bladder and foam replaced in 2022.
• Lifeline AFFF fire suppression system
• Front hood exit duct and wicker for radiator
• As it was converted to a race car in 1971, IT HAS NO RUST.

Extras:

• Original Richie Ginther plexiglass front “windscreen” as developed for SCCA E production racing in the 70s. Small crack on side.
• Extra Davies Craig water pump.
• Spare custom front spoiler.
• Original 914-6 Porsche 6-cylinder engine tin
• Original 914-6 engine mounts
• Subaru miscellaneous spare parts, belts, etc

As this list proves, no expense was spared on this build. At 2100 pounds and 340 whp and 310 wtq this car is a blast to drive and ready to go to the track.

I am happy to discuss this car in any level of detail and am will show it to serious buyers. The car is located on the Eastern Shore of Maryland. If you would like to talk, email me with a phone number and a good time to call and I’ll get back to you. Email address is: jdeford3@verizon.net

Pictures can be found on Dropbox with the following link:

https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fo/02ppj6s42gsn...jxdb7l&dl=0

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
BillJ
post Jun 27 2024, 04:48 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 15,610
Region Association: None

Price?
+Quote Post
burton73
post Jun 27 2024, 04:51 PM
Post #3

burton73

Member No.: 7,414
Region Association: Southern California

You are brand new here. For the life of me I do not see a price except the $15,000 for the trans work. Is that what you are asking.

Classified Rules!, Return to the forum
We've established the following rules to help make your sales/purchases as successful as possible!
- Please List WTB:, FS:, TRADE: etc (want to buy, for sale, and trade respectively) before your add title.
- You *must* put a price in your ad and state how you would like payment!
- If you'd like to bump your ads, feel free to do so every two days.
- DO NOT MAKE YOUR ADS IN ALL CAPITAL LETTERS! It's considered rude.
- All eBay ads belong in the eBay category.
- Please consolidate your ads into one big lump... listings and pictures together in one thread. Please be considerate of other classified users!!
- Mark your items "SOLD" once you sell them. Please do not ask to have ads removed. Ads will automatically hide themselves after 30 days. We also ask that you leave your pricing in the ads to help others determine fair market value for future sales.
+Quote Post
flat4guy
post Jun 28 2024, 05:30 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 20,484
Region Association: Northern California

nice looking car - Price?
+Quote Post
sixaddict
post Jun 29 2024, 08:52 AM
Post #5

Member No.: 9,961
Region Association: South East States

Quite a car …….too bad all this was done to a real six…….Just sayin
+Quote Post
Jetsetsurfshop
post Jun 30 2024, 04:41 PM
Post #6

Member No.: 12,907
Region Association: South East States

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/det....php?id=2691220

$49,000 on Samba.

User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 7th September 2024 - 05:50 PM