Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V < 1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> 914 driving lights, Installing OEM type driving lights to a 1974 914
Jezibel
post Jul 16 2024, 11:31 AM
Post #21

Das Echte POORSCHE Fahrer

Group: Members
Member No.: 27,868
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(VaccaRabite @ Jul 16 2024, 06:47 AM) *

I have SuperTones on my 914.
You will want to upgrade the relay!
The stock wiring will not provide enough current to really make the supertones shine. When I did it, I quickly put in a new relay and pulled a wire (with an inline fuse) direct from the battery to the relay and then out to the horns.

Whenever you can, reduce load on the stock wire harness! Especially in the dashboard.

Zach

Also a good recommendation to consider! The Sharp-Tone Hellas came with a suitable Hella relay, which I think would be a good route to take (since it is presumably matched to the current needs of the twin horn set).

I note that a few of the fuses on my car's block that normally carry white 8 Amp fuses, are red 16 Amps...evidence of a need for more power draw? My tech data shows the #3 fuse position (that feeds the 'auxiliary headlamps'...rather quaint language, but it translates to 'Fog Lamps') also powers my car's original stock horn, but since that horn is now missing (and my car gives evidence of having been previously set up with some sort of twin-horn 'behind-the-bumper' wiring), perhaps the existing fuse-board relay in use is improved over the stock OEM relay. I'll have to drop the fuse-board and take a good gander at what it has on it, currently.

[My trepidations concerning messing with existing wiring probably stems from awareness that the car's wiring harness is 'original' (now 50 years old) and will be somewhat stiffer and more friable than a newer, fresher harness would be. When my car was restored (in the 90s), apparently the existing wire harness was kept; they probably should have gone the whole hog and used a new one, but...]
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Eric_Shea
post Jul 16 2024, 02:04 PM
Post #22

PMB Performance

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,110
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

I try to put these TN6's on every build now. Bolt on and factory.

Attached Image

https://pmbperformance.com/products/tn6-dri...b5893&_ss=r
+Quote Post
Jezibel
post Jul 16 2024, 07:38 PM
Post #23

QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Jul 16 2024, 01:04 PM) *

I try to put these TN6's on every build now. Bolt on and factory.

Attached Image

https://pmbperformance.com/products/tn6-dri...b5893&_ss=r

Those fog lamps look like the nice new 'factory duplicate' repros offered by Road Atlanta at $199.50 a pop. Admittedly they are spectacular, but $400 a pair is pushing it for most 914 owners (unless they're either desperate or just crazy...like me!). (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)
+Quote Post
914werke
post Jul 17 2024, 12:02 AM
Post #24

"I got blisters on me fingers"

Member No.: 453
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Attached Image
QUOTE(Jezibel @ Jul 16 2024, 06:38 PM) *
Those fog lamps look like the nice (edit) but $400 a pair is pushing it for most 914 owners (unless they're either desperate or just crazy...like me!). (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)

That $99.00 shipped is looking better & better (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
Jezibel
post Jul 17 2024, 11:12 AM
Post #25

QUOTE(914werke @ Jul 16 2024, 11:02 PM) *

That $99.00 shipped is looking better & better (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

GAAK! US$200/pair, shipped is like dangling a porkchop in front of my Siberian Husky! Is there any plan to restock those OE type (early) lights, Rich?
+Quote Post
dtmehall
post Jul 17 2024, 07:19 PM
Post #26

Member No.: 27,808
Region Association: Upper MidWest

to expand on my post about a previous thread:

i installed the lights listed in the thread, but calculated that the draw would be right at the limit of the exiting stock fuse. it was suggested in the thread to go to led's is what i successfully did.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
914werke
post Jul 17 2024, 09:36 PM
Post #27

"I got blisters on me fingers"

Member No.: 453
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

QUOTE(Jezibel @ Jul 17 2024, 10:12 AM) *

QUOTE(914werke @ Jul 16 2024, 11:02 PM) *

GAAK! US$200/pair, shipped is like dangling a porkchop in front of my Siberian Husky! Is there any plan to restock those OE type (early) lights, Rich?

Just a correction the $99 is for the pair. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
Regarding the OE fogs, I have a box of them here I need to "restore" (blast paint new lenses seals blah blah) problem is the finding decent reflectors.
After 50 yrs at the front of our cars they are all pretty rough. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)
+Quote Post
rick 918-S
post Jul 18 2024, 07:48 AM
Post #28

Hey nice rack! -Celette

Member No.: 43
Region Association: Northstar Region

This is a question on the subject I was just going to post.

I am assembling my factory 6. I have several sets of fog lights. I popped off the lenses to start cleaning up housings and noticed the positive wire is stripped and fastened to the positive terminal with a small set screw.

I thought maybe the lights I have are for later cars and something had changed. Here are the terminal ends on my 6.

Attached Image

Notice both the positive and negative have female terminals. These are both factory installed and not modified in any way. I have a 1970 1.7 car here with factory fog lights. I thought I would pull these and use them as both cars are 1970 models, I assumed they would both have female spade terminal connections. Here is the factory wiring on the 1970 4 cylinder car I have here.

Attached Image

Notice the positive wire is stripped and was held with a small clamping set screw.

I went back through my photos and noticed the set of lights that were on the car when I picked it up had a black tape X across the lenses. I pulled out this set and noticed one of them had the wiring disconnected. Just the grommet in the housing. I popped the trim ring and see the positive attachment is the same as all the lights I have with the small set screw for the positive wire.

The other light had a pig tail coming out of the grommet and the wires were cut. Same on the inside with the set screw.

Further review of photos I have during disassembly show the factory wires were looped around and held out of the way by the insulated wire holding tab. The factory wires were never connected to this set of fog lights.

Question for the Masses and specially @ClayPerrine I wonder if the factory 6 had the 911S driving lights. I wonder if the 911 lights have female spade terminals and the 4 cylinder cars had the set screw for the positive wire.

Anyone know the difference? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)
+Quote Post
rick 918-S
post Jul 18 2024, 08:37 AM
Post #29

Hey nice rack! -Celette

Since this post I spoke with Glenn Stazak. He stated the euro lights have duel spade terminals. So this car likely had a euro harness installed. Anyone have a set of euro lights?
+Quote Post
davep
post Jul 18 2024, 09:07 AM
Post #30

914 Historian

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 1,244
Region Association: Canada

Yes, Euro harness has dual spade for bumper lights, and North American had a single spade and a bared wire for the tungsten fog lights. The 914 had black painted housings for the lights while the 911 got chromed housings. In Europe you could have driving lights or fog lights with Halogen H3 bulb and appropriate lenses. Hella 115 for the 914 tungsten fog lights, and Hella 118 for the Halogen.
+Quote Post
rick 918-S
post Jul 18 2024, 10:22 AM
Post #31

Hey nice rack! -Celette

QUOTE(davep @ Jul 18 2024, 10:07 AM) *

Yes, Euro harness has dual spade for bumper lights, and North American had a single spade and a bared wire for the tungsten fog lights. The 914 had black painted housings for the lights while the 911 got chromed housings. In Europe you could have driving lights or fog lights with Halogen H3 bulb and appropriate lenses. Hella 115 for the 914 tungsten fog lights, and Hella 118 for the Halogen.

Thanks @DaveP I was thinking about this further. How did the car end up with euro wiring for the bumper lights and still have the wiring for the warts? Interesting puzzle.
+Quote Post
davep
post Jul 18 2024, 11:12 AM
Post #32

914 Historian

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 1,244
Region Association: Canada

QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Jul 18 2024, 12:22 PM) *

QUOTE(davep @ Jul 18 2024, 10:07 AM) *

Thanks @DaveP I was thinking about this further. How did the car end up with euro wiring for the bumper lights and still have the wiring for the warts? Interesting puzzle.

I'd guess that someone put a spade connector on the bared wire.
+Quote Post
Jezibel
post Jul 20 2024, 11:06 AM
Post #33

QUOTE(dtmehall @ Jul 17 2024, 06:19 PM) *

to expand on my post about a previous thread:

i installed the lights listed in the thread, but calculated that the draw would be right at the limit of the exiting stock fuse. it was suggested in the thread to go to led's is what i successfully did.

After mulling over everyone's inputs on these related nuances, I'm sorely tempted to just forego using the 'pre-installed' wiring and putting in a relay (and dual 14 ga lamp wires) that feeds directly off the 'power-on' fuse (or alternately, running a fused main 10 ga power line directly from the battery to the above set-up). Such a hassle (installing dual horns and lights)...particularly right now, in triple-digit heat and trying to do all this squeezed into my 'one-half' of our garage (Madam Chairman insists on retaining halfsies of for her Camry (IMG:style_emoticons/default/mad.gif) )

That also involves removing both front wheels, so as to access the bolts that hold the front bumper/valence on, which is more work.

The ULTIMATE "lazy-man" approach is to install the horns and lamps so that the car looks 'pretty', but with inoperable horn/light systems. [BAD IDEA . (IMG:style_emoticons/default/chair.gif) ..yes, I am fully aware of that, but the thought of the above complexities, as well as several hours sweating like some overweight barnyard swine, just lacks a certain appeal, LoL.]

Maybe I'll just settle for attaching a couple of flashlights to the car's front end and mounting a squeeze-bulb goose horn on the driver's side-mirror... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif)
+Quote Post
ClayPerrine
post Jul 20 2024, 04:59 PM
Post #34

Life's been good to me so far.....

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,143
Region Association: NineFourteenerVille

You don't have to remove the front wheels, just turn them to full lock on one side. Then you can reach in and get to the bolts.

I suggest that if you do decide to pull the bumper, you replace the bolts on the bumper with some all thread studs. Then you can put the bumper on and the dog bones won't slip and it is far easier to get washers and nuts on the studs inside the fender.

+Quote Post
Jezibel
post Jul 26 2024, 12:33 PM
Post #35

QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Jul 20 2024, 03:59 PM) *

You don't have to remove the front wheels, just turn them to full lock on one side. Then you can reach in and get to the bolts.

I suggest that if you do decide to pull the bumper, you replace the bolts on the bumper with some all thread studs. Then you can put the bumper on and the dog bones won't slip and it is far easier to get washers and nuts on the studs inside the fender.

Thanks for that suggestion, Clay. That's exactly what I did yesterday. Sure saves time. I ended up taking off the bumper and spoiler skirt, installed the lights and horns and now just have to fiddle a bit with the wiring (a couple of the wires were frayed), then install the new (Hella) switch in the space where a hole already exists in the lower instr. panel facing (under the leatherette vinyl), make the connections (being sure I have a horn relay in place on the fuse board backside). Hopefully then reinstalling the bumper with the new bolt/nut hardware you suggest and be done with all this. This is one 'project' I did NOT look FWD to! See two below images of where I am at this point.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
friethmiller
post Jul 26 2024, 12:45 PM
Post #36

Member No.: 22,863
Region Association: Southwest Region

Looks good! If you've never reinstalled before, I'd make sure you check that the lights are centered in the grill openings and the lines on the fog light lenses are vertical (90 degrees) to the ground BEFORE you bolt the bumper back on. Prop it up with two jack stands / have a friend help. I'd also recommend having the bolts just a little loose so you can make fine adjustments, before tightening everything down. Saves a ton of time. Best of Luck! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif)
+Quote Post
Jezibel
post Aug 3 2024, 11:58 AM
Post #37

QUOTE(friethmiller @ Jul 26 2024, 11:45 AM) *

Looks good! If you've never reinstalled before, I'd make sure you check that the lights are centered in the grill openings and the lines on the fog light lenses are vertical (90 degrees) to the ground BEFORE you bolt the bumper back on. Prop it up with two jack stands / have a friend help. I'd also recommend having the bolts just a little loose so you can make fine adjustments, before tightening everything down. Saves a ton of time. Best of Luck! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif)

[font=Verdana][size=3] GROAN! I just finished the wiring hook-up for the fog lamps, which I acquired as 'reconditioned' OE 914 lamps, opened them up and find that the bulb holder in the reflector assembly will not take a Hella BA20s "F2" bulb (12v/35wt)! WTF! the bulb holder in the below images looks like it take a much larger bulb base (way too big for an "F2" type bulb).

What is going on here? Am I overlooking something or missing some detail I wasn't previously aware of?

I've attached five images of this bulb holder inside my reconditioned "914 fog lamps" and would really appreciate someone pointing out whatever is obvious to those who know about such matters!(but unknown to me) before I jump off the nearest steep cliff! Thanks.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image Attached Image

Attached image(s)
Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
Jezibel
post Aug 3 2024, 03:04 PM
Post #38

[size=3] GROAN! I just finished the wiring hook-up for the fog lamps, which I acquired as 'reconditioned' OE 914 lamps, opened them up and find that the bulb holder in the reflector assembly will not take a Hella BA20s "F2" bulb (12v/35wt)! WTF! the bulb holder in the below images looks like it take a much larger bulb base (way too big for an "F2" type bulb).

What is going on here? Am I overlooking something or missing some detail I wasn't previously aware of?

[/quote]

[font=Verdana]PS: Were there two different bulb holders (an early and a late)? Or were there perhaps US and European bulb holders that were different, intended for different bulbs. I was under the impression that the 'OE standard' bulb for 914 fog lamps took a regular Hella BA20s "F2" bulb. Is that a mistaken impression? Or again, am I missing something.

PSS: based on what I know of the 914 bulb holder and what I seem to have on my lamps, it looks to me as if part of the bulb holder that secures one side of the bulb's base pin-securing lip has been 'curled back.' Why, I cannot fathom? Surely that's NOT the way it is supposed to be, is it?
[size=4]
+Quote Post
Jezibel
post Aug 3 2024, 03:29 PM
Post #39

[/quote]

PS: Were there two different bulb holders (an early and a late)? Or were there perhaps US and European bulb holders that were different, intended for different bulbs. I was under the impression that the 'OE standard' bulb for 914 fog lamps took a regular Hella BA20s "F2" bulb. Is that a mistaken impression? Or again, am I missing something.

PSS: based on what I know of the 914 bulb holder and what I seem to have on my lamps, it looks to me as if part of the bulb holder that secures one side of the bulb's base pin-securing lip has been 'curled back.' Why, I cannot fathom? Surely that's NOT the way it is supposed to be, is it?
[size=4]
[/quote]

Even with that peeled-back bulb socket lip back in some semblance of where it was supposed to be, the images below show that the BA20s "F2" bulb base diameter is still about half the size of whatever was in there originally! How can that possibly be?

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Shivers
post Aug 3 2024, 05:09 PM
Post #40

Member No.: 24,781
Region Association: Southern California

I can offer you this.

Attached Image

@Jezibel
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post

3 Pages V < 1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 7th September 2024 - 05:48 PM