Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Radio antenna whats best ?, 914 radio antenna
porscheteck914
post Jul 13 2024, 10:17 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 27,247
Region Association: North East States

Hello Fellas , I want a electric retractable radio antenna for my 914 . What will work and fit without modifying inner fender ? Would like to go with a Hirschmann. A model 2024 ?? thank you !
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
windforfun
post Jul 13 2024, 04:36 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 8,476
Region Association: None

https://www.ebay.com/itm/165384147344?itmme...ABk9SR-a84eOVZA

Remember that you get what you pay for.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer3.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer3.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer3.gif)
+Quote Post
FlacaProductions
post Jul 13 2024, 07:09 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 21,628
Region Association: Southern California

I had an automatic antenna on my previous 73 and no matter what you go with, I would suggest putting a a manual switch on it. I found that it was very tall and stuck up quite a bit. With a manual switch you can limit how far it goes up. It was a long time ago, but I think I just put it in line with the control wire from the head unit - so when the unit tells it to go up, it goes up til you turn the switch off.

The alternative is to take the unit apart and cut the plastic toothed snake that is inside the antenna. Make it to your desired length.
+Quote Post
windforfun
post Jul 13 2024, 07:25 PM
Post #4

Make sure you keep the thing well lubricated.
+Quote Post
technicalninja
post Jul 13 2024, 07:39 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 27,135
Region Association: Southwest Region

QUOTE(FlacaProductions @ Jul 13 2024, 08:09 PM) *

The alternative is to take the unit apart and cut the plastic toothed snake that is inside the antenna. Make it to your desired length.

Shortening the drive cable WILL NOT work on the 2-300 power antennas I have worked on.

Changing antenna mast is a real common job for a dealership tech and if the cable is intact, it's a 2-minute job that pays 1.5 hours!

The length of the steel telescopic part is what controls when the antenna stops.

Most antennas extend fully when power is supplied (by the radio amp or antenna on signal) and fully retract when power is dropped.

To change a broken one (intact drive) you remove bezel at base and turn radio on.
It spits the antenna all the way out...
To install, you feed the drive cable into housing (clocking direction critical-teeth towards gear) and turn the radio off.

Now it tries to suck the cable all the way back in and you HAVE to stop it 1/2 way down.
You pull the radio fuse or the negative terminal on the battery.
Sometimes it's easier to just disco the antenna harness if it's accessible.
You then slide bezel down the 1/2 way up antenna and you're done.

2 minutes tops!

If the cable left a broken section down in the motor, you get to take the whole puppy out of the car and take the spring-loaded housing apart to retrieve the broken piece.

This can be worth the 1.5 hours that the dealer charges...

Shortening the drive cable would mean it's coming clean out of the motor and the motor would never stop. When it retracted, it would have to re-align perfectly every time and it won't.

Shortening the drive cable will quickly destroy the entire power antenna unit.

Now, having a switch is an ABSOLUTELY PERFECT IDEA!

I wish they all had a switch!
Should be a freaking LAW!
It would make the antenna replacement job even easier!
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/ninja.gif)
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
technicalninja
post Jul 13 2024, 07:47 PM
Post #6

And after thinking about it a bit...

The switch will require installation into the battery power feed line for the antenna.

Putting it in the "on signal" from the radio would just lower the antenna when switched off.
+Quote Post
FlacaProductions
post Jul 13 2024, 07:56 PM
Post #7

Ah - there ya go - like I said, it's been a while...I was kinda right!
+Quote Post
windforfun
post Jul 13 2024, 08:01 PM
Post #8

QUOTE(FlacaProductions @ Jul 13 2024, 06:09 PM) *

I had an automatic antenna on my previous 73 and no matter what you go with, I would suggest putting a a manual switch on it. I found that it was very tall and stuck up quite a bit. With a manual switch you can limit how far it goes up. It was a long time ago, but I think I just put it in line with the control wire from the head unit - so when the unit tells it to go up, it goes up til you turn the switch off.

Why bother to fuck with it? Just leave it alone & if you're really hurting for something to do then read a book or play chess on your computer. Is this OCD or what? BTDT.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)
+Quote Post
914Sixer
post Jul 14 2024, 08:29 AM
Post #9

914 Guru

Member No.: 3,457

I have a nos Bosch I can let go cheap.
+Quote Post
FlacaProductions
post Jul 14 2024, 09:29 AM
Post #10

QUOTE(windforfun @ Jul 13 2024, 07:01 PM) *

Why bother to fuck with it? Just leave it alone & if you're really hurting for something to do then read a book or play chess on your computer. Is this OCD or what? BTDT.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

Why play chess or read a book when you can fuck with your car?
Thanks for yet another pointless comment.
+Quote Post
technicalninja
post Jul 14 2024, 10:49 AM
Post #11

QUOTE(914Sixer @ Jul 14 2024, 09:29 AM) *

I have a nos Bosch I can let go cheap.

I ALMOST bought that unit.

Someday I'll regret not buying it...

As I'm planning on doing away with the antenna hole anyways (cell phone-based audio only) it didn't fit my plans.

His is OEM "style" Bosch. Freaking nice unit, sort of big.
This thing's "normal home" was probably Mercedes Benz.

Mark is a kick ass seller and stands behind his stuff.

If your serious about "electric antenna" this is probably the BEST route to go.

Your next post should say "PMd 914Sixer"

This thread made me think "I probably should buy that unit from Mark, I wonder if he still has it?"

You might want to get it before I come to my senses...
+Quote Post
windforfun
post Jul 15 2024, 07:08 PM
Post #12

QUOTE(FlacaProductions @ Jul 14 2024, 08:29 AM) *

QUOTE(windforfun @ Jul 13 2024, 07:01 PM) *

Why play chess or read a book when you can fuck with your car?
Thanks for yet another pointless comment.

You're most welcome. My experience, although limited, it that most modern cheap power antennas can't be opened & modified. You might want to go with a shorter focal length lens to open up your field of view. Watch out for barrel distortion if you're shooting skyscrapers.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif)
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 7th September 2024 - 05:22 PM