Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Ground Points, Bare Metal Base Disk
DennisV
post Jul 14 2024, 08:29 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 24,575
Region Association: Northern California

Would I be correct in thinking that the metal disk where ground studs are located should be bare metal?

The one in this photo is above the relay board in the engine bay. It was painted body color and I stripped it with a wire brush. I just can't imagine that thick disk behind the stud was meant to be covered in paint if that is a ground location.

Attached Image

P.S. After tightening these connections, is it good practice to coat them in dielectric grease?

P.P.S. Are the ground point locations the same on the 914-6 as the 914-4s? @JeffBowlsby had a nice drawing of the locations, but I think it was specific to the 4s.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
bdstone914
post Jul 14 2024, 08:44 AM
Post #2

bdstone914

Member No.: 1,319

Yes they need bare metal. The grease can't hurt
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
technicalninja
post Jul 14 2024, 10:35 AM
Post #3

Member No.: 27,135
Region Association: Southwest Region

The grease HELPS bigtime!

Doesn't really matter what grease either.

What you are doing is "sealing" the joint from oxygen.

Vaseline will work!

Even if you get an electrolyte in the joint without oxygen you get no corrosion.

Distilled water is NOT an electrolyte.
Every other type of water is.

Rainwater is an electrolyte.

Grease repels water pretty good as well...
+Quote Post
technicalninja
post Jul 14 2024, 10:40 AM
Post #4

If my car wasn't a real live six, I'd add internal toothed washers to all of my grounds.

I want my grounds to have TEETH!

On a proper six I wouldn't.

It would be hard for me to own a real six...

I live to modify, and the six's possible value precludes modification.

I'll stay with my little baby 4-cylinder cars which I can slice and dice without remorse!
+Quote Post
Superhawk996
post Jul 14 2024, 11:31 AM
Post #5

914 Guru

Member No.: 22,428
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

Dielectric = non conductive

Dielectric grease does not help conductivity. If you’re going to use the crap, make the ground connection 1st bare metal to bare metal.

Put dielectric grease over the top if it makes you feel warm and fuzzy.
+Quote Post
technicalninja
post Jul 14 2024, 11:44 AM
Post #6

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)

However, I've used dielectric grease on my terminals for years without a single issue.

Doesn't make sense to me either. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/screwy.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/screwy.gif)

I'd love to find a "pro-electric" grease that had the same life span as dielectric grease.

I AM POSITIVE that if you smear the crap out of your battery terminals with dielectric grease, to the point they're gooey and sticky, you can come back 4 years later, knock the dried hardened grease off and have perfect terminals...

It works BETTER than any other anti-corrosion product I've tried, and I believe I've tried everything.

Now, If @SuperHawk996 has a better suggestion I'm ALL EARS!!!!

Because putting a non-conductive grease on electrical shit just sounds WRONG!
+Quote Post
Superhawk996
post Jul 14 2024, 12:04 PM
Post #7

914 Guru

Member No.: 22,428
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

QUOTE(technicalninja @ Jul 14 2024, 01:44 PM) *

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)

However, I've used dielectric grease on my terminals for years without a single issue.

Doesn't make sense to me either. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/screwy.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/screwy.gif)

I'd love to find a "pro-electric" grease that had the same life span as dielectric grease.

I AM POSITIVE that if you smear the crap out of your battery terminals with dielectric grease, to the point they're gooey and sticky, you can come back 4 years later, knock the dried hardened grease off and have perfect terminals...

It works BETTER than any other anti-corrosion product I've tried, and I believe I've tried everything.

Now, If @SuperHawk996 has a better suggestion I'm ALL EARS!!!!

Because putting a non-conductive grease on electrical shit just sounds WRONG!

You wouldn’t want “pro-electric” grease in any sort of multi-pin circuit as it would lead to current leakage between pins if any of the grease were bridged from pin to pin. This is why non-conductive dielectric grease is used.

Yes, using dielectric grease on terminals “works”. Primarily because the grease is being scraped off as the terminal pins engage. At that point it basically resides outside the electrically connected joint.

I don’t think I want to go into this much more than that.

The stuff is like a religion. Some believe and slather it in, and on everything making a mess in the process and sometimes actually making things worse believing dielectric grease is some sort of magic cure for electrical issues. For me its uses are few and far between. Worked on lots of military equipment exposed to harsh environments and it was rarely used or expressly forbidden depending on application.
+Quote Post
930cabman
post Jul 15 2024, 11:25 AM
Post #8

Advanced Member

Member No.: 24,877
Region Association: North East States

I have shied away from greases with electrical connections as I feel they attract dirt and debris.

OP, yes get down to clean and tight.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 7th September 2024 - 05:29 PM