Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Rear trunk lower latch, Picture needed
TonyVan
post Jul 14 2024, 06:17 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 8,412
Region Association: Northern California

Something new as a result of of my "Clutch Pedal Stuck" thread.
While dissembling the interior, I removed the seats and the padded panel behind them.
I found that the trunk release pull handle does not unscrew. Figured I'd unhook it from the trunk latch. As you can probably guess, I closed the trunk that night after calling it a day and realized what I did the next morning. I got the trunk open but Im having a hard time visualizing the assembly of the lower latch. I see how the cable goes into the metal tube and up through the spring to the retaining pin, but what keeps the spring centered on the cable? Of course I've forgotten how it goes back together. Searched the forums (worst search program I've ever used") and found nothing. In fact, I think whatever I search for I get the same results!
Anyway, If anyone has or can take a picture of the assembly, under the black plastic cover, I'd appreciate it.
TOny
User is online!Profile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
bdstone914
post Jul 14 2024, 11:22 PM
Post #2

bdstone914

Member No.: 1,319

QUOTE(TonyVan @ Jul 14 2024, 05:17 PM) *

While dissembling the interior, I removed the seats and the padded panel behind them.
I found that the trunk release pull handle does not unscrew. Figured I'd unhook it from the trunk latch. As you can probably guess, I closed the trunk that night after calling it a day and realized what I did the next morning. I got the trunk open but Im having a hard time visualizing the assembly of the lower latch. I see how the cable goes into the metal tube and up through the spring to the retaining pin, but what keeps the spring centered on the cable? Of course I've forgotten how it goes back together. Searched the forums (worst search program I've ever used") and found nothing. In fact, I think whatever I search for I get the same results!
Anyway, If anyone has or can take a picture of the assembly, under the black plastic cover, I'd appreciate it.
TOny

It sounds like you are describing the engine lid latch.
You lost me a black plastic cover and assembling the latch. Can you show a picture of what parts you have?
+Quote Post
TonyVan
post Jul 15 2024, 09:12 AM
Post #3

Trunk latch. The receiver portion attached to the body. Sorry. Cover is black steel not plastic. The latch that the trunk release cable activates. Not much to assemble. The cable runs into the latch. There’s a spring, that gives resistance to the cable pull in the cabin and a small cylindrical retaining pin, for the cable. Just trying to figure out how the spring stays centered on the cable.
Thanks,
Tony

QUOTE(bdstone914 @ Jul 14 2024, 10:22 PM) *

QUOTE(TonyVan @ Jul 14 2024, 05:17 PM) *

TOny

It sounds like you are describing the engine lid latch.
You lost me a black plastic cover and assembling the latch. Can you show a picture of what parts you have?

+Quote Post
Shivers
post Jul 15 2024, 10:08 AM
Post #4

Member No.: 24,781
Region Association: Southern California

There is no factory rear trunk cable release. The cable pull inside behind the drivers seat is for the engine compartment

@TonyVan

Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
+Quote Post
Shivers
post Jul 15 2024, 10:19 AM
Post #5

Member No.: 24,781
Region Association: Southern California

Maybe I'm confused. You said: "I removed the seats and the padded panel behind them.
I found that the trunk release pull handle does not unscrew."
Are you talking about the pull behind the drivers seat or...
+Quote Post
fiacra
post Jul 15 2024, 10:25 AM
Post #6

Person.Woman.Man.Camera.TV

Member No.: 22,920

Tony,

There is no remote cable operated rear trunk release on a stock 914. If you have a remote cable release for the rear trunk it is not stock. There is for the frunk (front trunk) and for the engine lid. I assume you are speaking about the frunk, and not the rear trunk and not the engine lid. In general most people use the term trunk for the rear trunk, and frunk for the front trunk. Since there are two trunks it helps to use these terms to clarify which end of the car you are talking about. That will also cause some confusion when searching. To search the site more efficiently most people will use google and simply include "914World" in the search string. If you prefer, here's a link to a google programmable search engine specifically for 914World that a member designed:

https://cse.google.com/cse?cx=0024083458981...772:ajvfxschcgc

Here's two pictures of the frunk latch assembly:

Attached Image

Attached Image

Here's some of the engine lid latch just in case that's what you are really asking about:

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

And, of course, posting some pictures of the assembly you are asking about will help make everything clear to those of us taking the time to help you out.
+Quote Post
914werke
post Jul 15 2024, 11:11 AM
Post #7

"I got blisters on me fingers"

Member No.: 453
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Unless he has one of the aftermarket cable release kits (now out of production) that were available from Mark Bland back in the day IIRC
+Quote Post
fiacra
post Jul 15 2024, 01:22 PM
Post #8

Person.Woman.Man.Camera.TV

Member No.: 22,920

QUOTE(914werke @ Jul 15 2024, 10:11 AM) *

Unless he has one of the aftermarket cable release kits (now out of production) that were available from Mark Bland back in the day IIRC

Agreed, and I did point out that this would not be stock. If he has a rear reflector it wouldn't be unusual to have an electric latch release and/or a cable release. A picture of my stock latch probably won't be helpful. Pictures of his set up would help enormously in clarifying this, and letting anyone else who has the same set up help out.

@TonyVan I bet this thread has the pictures you need of the aftermarket cable release rear trunk latch.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=17486
+Quote Post
TonyVan
post Jul 15 2024, 02:04 PM
Post #9

Thank you!
Yes, I guess it's an aftermarket piece as the car does have a rear reflector.
I may be new to 914's but I've been around Porsches since 1989. Have had 12 so far. I do know the term Frunk and prefer not to use it.
Thanks for the link. I'll figure it out,
Tony
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 7th September 2024 - 05:35 PM