Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Rear cross panel and bumper bodywork question
DaveB
post Jul 14 2024, 07:52 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 26,107
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Before I weld in the back of my 914, I am test fitting all the pieces. I have tack welded a cross panel on my 75, have the rear trunk sheetmetal for a pre-75 trimmed and drilled/test fit a chrome bumper.

1. What is the correct gap for the bumper on the right/left side? This is where it fits after I put in the dog bones:

Attached Image

Attached Image

Is this correct? If not, what is the correct distance?

2. I did a lot of rework to the cross panel to remove wrinkles and curve out flat spots. The bumper rubber top fits flush to the cross panel without the dog bones. When I test fit if the dog bones, it is flush in the center and there is a gap over the sides.

Attached Image

This is the gap. It is the approx 1/4 on both sides away from the cross panel.

Attached Image

Does this need to fit flush or are these gaps within stock range?

Is there anything else I should check fit or verify before I weld this and the rear trunk in place?

Thanks.

BTW - this has been a PIA. This is how it started when I picked it up. I tried to rework a lot of the original car but it was just too rusted. Plus I really wanted the metal bumpers. And yes, the rear trunk lid was bungeed to the top of the car.

Attached Image

Dipped and cut everything out.
Attached Image

The trunk hinges were ripped out and bent. I've got that fixed, trunk and rear fenders now aligned, gaps are good.

Attached Image

Bracket for trunk lock is fixed. Push button now works, lights fit, so once I get these final gaps questions addressed, I'll start the front and get it on the rotisserie.

Attached Image

Thanks for your help on this.

Dave

Sorry - there is a ghost picture of the trunk here too.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
bkrantz
post Jul 14 2024, 09:05 PM
Post #2

914 Guru

Member No.: 23,343
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

That looks pretty good to me. I bet original spec varied by a few mm. On mine I focused on getting left and right to match, and the right angle so the spaces where constant from top to bottom.
+Quote Post
DaveB
post Jul 15 2024, 12:13 AM
Post #3

Member No.: 26,107
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

QUOTE(bkrantz @ Jul 14 2024, 08:05 PM) *

That looks pretty good to me. I bet original spec varied by a few mm. On mine I focused on getting left and right to match, and the right angle so the spaces where constant from top to bottom.

Thanks. Left and right look close. The top rubber being away from the cross panel on both sides bugs me. The cross panel was warped on both sides beside the area where I put the dog bones. I reworked it but then got concerned I pulled it too far forward when planishing it flat and that was causing the rubber to pull away from under the tail lights.

Attached Image
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 7th September 2024 - 05:24 PM