Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> 914World Classifieds Rules

We've established the following rules to help make your sales/purchases as successful as possible!
- Please List WTB:, FS:, TRADE: etc (want to buy, for sale, and trade respectively) before your add title.
- You *must* put a price in your ad and state how you would like payment!
- If you'd like to bump your ads, feel free to do so every two days.
- DO NOT MAKE YOUR ADS IN ALL CAPITAL LETTERS! It's considered rude.
- All eBay ads belong in the eBay category.
- Please consolidate your ads into one big lump... listings and pictures together in one thread. Please be considerate of other classified users!!
- Mark your items "SOLD" once you sell them. Please do not ask to have ads removed. Ads will automatically hide themselves after 30 days. We also ask that you leave your pricing in the ads to help others determine fair market value for future sales.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> OT: 1959 VW Beetle ragtop restoration project - 08/01/2024 - SOLD, selling the car I've owned for 40+ years
fiacra
post Jul 19 2024, 11:10 PM
Post #1

Person.Woman.Man.Camera.TV

Group: Members
Member No.: 22,920
Region Association: Northern California

SOLD - 08/01/24. Deposit received, final payment and transfer scheduled for 08/01/2024. Unfortunately not being sold to a forum member (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)

Clearly not a 914, but I know a lot of us are also vintage VW owners and my preference is to deal with the folks on this forum.

I'm putting up for sale my 1959 VW Beetle with canvas sunroof. I've owned this car for just over 40 years and I am the third owner. It was my daily driver through college and through the 1980's. It was put into storage in California when we moved to Japan in 1990, and has been in storage since then. Primarily it has been garage stored, but for the last two years it has been in my driveway under a double four season cover. I have kept it all these years with the intent of doing a full restoration, but realistically it is unlikely I will ever find the time and have the room to do it. Some parts have been collected over the years, including a set of floor pans and a date correct 36hp engine. Currently has a 1200 engine in it. Both engines turn over by hand. All the sunroof hardware is present. It has the original carpet, headliner, and white upholstery underneath slip on covers. Not pictured, but will come with the car, is the original passenger side door, which I believe I replaced in the late 80's because of a problem with the hinge. I also have a set of original driver's quality bumpers and a spare hood. Other small parts are in storage and will be pulled out in the next few days. I have gone through the brakes to facilitate moving the car and have installed a new master cylinder, soft lines, reservoir, and flushed and bled the system. The parking brake cables have also been replaced and the parking brake adjusted. This car has lived in California for all it's life, is a great base for a full restoration and is not a rust bucket. It has the typical rot underneath the battery (see pictures). A set of new half pans will come with the car. Clean title in my name and it is registered non-op with no back fees due. If you PM me with a phone number I'm happy to have a phone conversation to answer questions. I'm asking $4K, but open to reasonable offers. Most important to me is that it goes to a home where it will be restored and driven.

Here's a link to a shared dropbox file with 50+ pictures.

https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fo/i54y9l2opysj...s6govp&dl=0

Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
aturboman
post Jul 23 2024, 03:44 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 13,687
Region Association: None

Sent you PM to talk about this car
+Quote Post
fiacra
post Jul 25 2024, 10:18 AM
Post #3

Still available. @aturboman has initially decided against his company taking on this project, but they are doing me the courtesy of giving it a second round of consideration. I'd be happy if they took this car on as my preference is to find someone who has the skills, wherewithal, and desire to give my car a second life. My experience with this forum makes me think I'm more likely to find that person here. Right now it is posted on FB marketplace as well as The Samba. Lots of interest, but only a few real potential buyers. A large crowd of the usual obnoxious low-ballers shooting ridiculous offers without ever having seen the car, flippers, and a few dreamers showing up to look at it but without the skills or funds to take this on. I'm lucky to be in a position to pick my buyer. This is the car I took my wife on our first date in, that got me through a lot of the more challenging years in my life, that I drove all through college, and was the genesis of my love of air cooled VWs and 914s. Going to the right home is a priority for me. As far as pricing, it is below market with the intent to generate interest. Unfortunately most of that interest to date has been of the wrong type, but that's how these things go.

Bottom line: This is a project that will require time, skills, and money. I think the pictures make it look like more of a project than it really is, but I'm not unbiased. Nonetheless I will try my best to present this car with all of its flaws up front and fully disclosed. These early VW ragtops are rare and hard to find in restorable condition. There are a few picked over rustbuckets out there, but only a small number of complete ragtop California cars with minimal rust repair to be done. It has the usual rot under the battery, and the typical front nose and rear apron damage/repairs. The bigger stuff, like the heater channels and luggage area, is all fine as far as I can tell. I know surprises can be found after tear down, media blasting, etc., but I'm pretty sure they will be minimal. It is a great opportunity for somebody, but not a project for everybody. I'm willing to have a frank discussion with any interested forum member, do a facetime walk through, etc. Just PM me a phone number and I'll give you a call. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
fiacra
post Jul 25 2024, 01:27 PM
Post #4

aturboman is out. His crew needs to start with something that needs less work. I'm being as upfront as I can with this car --- it is a project, but it's a worthy project for the right person.
+Quote Post
Superhawk996
post Jul 25 2024, 08:11 PM
Post #5

914 Guru

Member No.: 22,428
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

Wish I could take this on but too many other priorities.

Worthy car though! And fair price!
+Quote Post
fiacra
post Aug 2 2024, 10:05 AM
Post #6

SOLD. Mark your calendars for 2039 to look for my post trying to find it again (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
technicalninja
post Aug 2 2024, 10:10 AM
Post #7

Member No.: 27,135
Region Association: Southwest Region

I've sold stuff that I regretted later.

I've not regretted it on the day I sold it...

Do you REALLY want to sell that?

You might regret it later (or TODAY in your case).
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 7th September 2024 - 05:32 PM