Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Door not closing, Door latch is not grabbing post
Deusexmachina77
post Jul 25 2024, 06:52 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 26,426
Region Association: Upper MidWest

My driver-side door stopped working.

I've checked alignment, and that doesn't seem to be the issue. When I compare it to the passenger-side door, the latch mechanism doesn't have the same tension as the passenger-side. I'm not sure how to describe it other than it has lost its oomph. It moves, but it is soft and has no tension.

I can close the door, but it doesn't catch all the way. Another shove secures it.

Is it as simple as needing some lubrication? Or is there a spring that broke? I haven't taken it apart yet. I'm trying to avoid a search-and-destroy mission and get guidance before disassembling.

Thanks,
Victor

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
87m491
post Jul 25 2024, 09:15 AM
Post #2

Member No.: 14,731
Region Association: North East States

You can activate the door latch without closing the door. Simply move the pawl in the direction of it closing. Compare it's movement, catch and release, to the other doors mechanism. 50 year old lubricants can literally gum up the works. Removal of the unit means getting inside the door but then you can remove the mechanism and clean it all up, check for broken bits, relube and reinstall.

QUOTE(Deusexmachina77 @ Jul 25 2024, 04:52 AM) *

I've checked alignment, and that doesn't seem to be the issue. When I compare it to the passenger-side door, the latch mechanism doesn't have the same tension as the passenger-side. I'm not sure how to describe it other than it has lost its oomph. It moves, but it is soft and has no tension.

I can close the door, but it doesn't catch all the way. Another shove secures it.

Is it as simple as needing some lubrication? Or is there a spring that broke? I haven't taken it apart yet. I'm trying to avoid a search-and-destroy mission and get guidance before disassembling.

Thanks,
Victor

+Quote Post
dr914@autoatlanta.com
post Jul 25 2024, 09:42 AM
Post #3

914 Guru

Member No.: 7,418
Region Association: None

sounds like you need to remove the catching mechanism inside the door and clean it, and then reinstall. it is not releasing all of the way because it is sticking resulting in the door not latching

QUOTE(Deusexmachina77 @ Jul 25 2024, 05:52 AM) *

Thanks,
Victor

+Quote Post
Nogoodwithusernames
post Jul 25 2024, 10:27 AM
Post #4

Member No.: 20,051
Region Association: None

Old gummed up lube is my guess as well. I had to replace the plastic actuator piece for one of my outer door handles and de-greased and re-greased the whole assembly while I was in there. It made a noticeable difference in operation so I did the other side too if I recall.
+Quote Post
FlacaProductions
post Jul 25 2024, 10:36 AM
Post #5

Member No.: 21,628
Region Association: Southern California

http://914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=365987
+Quote Post
Deusexmachina77
post Jul 25 2024, 11:46 AM
Post #6

Thank you everyone! I appreciate the advice. Wish me luck. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smash.gif)
+Quote Post
Deusexmachina77
post Jul 25 2024, 03:49 PM
Post #7

@dr914 @autoatlanta.com
I took it apart and discovered the spring is busted.
Is that part available?Attached Image
+Quote Post
bdstone914
post Jul 25 2024, 10:19 PM
Post #8

bdstone914

Member No.: 1,319

@Deusexmachina77

I have extra drivers latches that have been cleaned and replated. Note the different spring length. I dont know why they did this.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 7th September 2024 - 05:24 PM