Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Vw wide 5 on a 914?, 130 to 205?
Ace Le Count
post Jul 26 2024, 08:08 PM
Post #1

Looking for 4712908713

Group: Members
Member No.: 21,910
Region Association: None

Can a 914 be converted to run vw 205 wheels? Or is it out of the question?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
sixnotfour
post Jul 26 2024, 08:40 PM
Post #2

914 Wizard

Member No.: 2,744
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

Yes, J-Bugs,
https://www.jbugs.com/product/9506.html
+Quote Post
Literati914
post Jul 26 2024, 08:44 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 7,222
Region Association: Southwest Region

QUOTE(Ace Le Count @ Jul 26 2024, 09:08 PM) *

Can a 914 be converted to run vw 205 wheels? Or is it out of the question?

Dude, that's been an itch that I was always gonna scratch at some point. Seriously. You just had the gall to bring it up here (IMG:style_emoticons/default/hide.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/av-943.gif)

I don't think you'll need to do anything other than buy '130x4 to 205x5 adapters'. There are a few on the market but I recently narrowed them down to some that look superior (I'll need to find them in notes I made). Those adapters have "cone-seat" style holes at the 130x4 positions. This is great because you can install flush flat-head retaining bolts (then cover them with aluminum drum skins - see fibre steel website). The problem is finding the correct flush bolts (14mm x 1.50 I think). I found some in titanium but there was a 50 count minimum.

I was planning on installing bullet studs at the 205x5 positions.

BTW, Cip1 has a smoking deal on a wheel and tire package right now!
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Literati914
post Jul 26 2024, 08:53 PM
Post #4

https://www.alliedtitanium.com/vupdc_Detail...PDCID=201511004

^^ these are an example of the bolts but need to check the length.. and titanium's grade

https://produto.mercadolivre.com.br/MLB-466...b5-679fbfbea787

^^ from a Portugese website
+Quote Post
Dave_Darling
post Jul 27 2024, 05:55 AM
Post #5

914 Idiot

Member No.: 121
Region Association: Northern California

IIRC, Bug wheels are farther out in the fenders than 914 wheels are, due to their offset. You'll be moving their mounting face further out with adapters, exacerbating that problem.

You might have to run fender flares just to use 5.5" wheels!!

--DD
+Quote Post
Craigers17
post Jul 27 2024, 06:52 AM
Post #6

Member No.: 21,317
Region Association: South East States

QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Jul 27 2024, 05:55 AM) *

IIRC, Bug wheels are farther out in the fenders than 914 wheels are, due to their offset. You'll be moving their mounting face further out with adapters, exacerbating that problem.

--DD

This post is spot on. I tried this with some 14x6 wide fives and mounted just the wheels with adapters. You would need to at least pull the fenders and that still probably wouldn't work. Also, as you can see in the pic, unless you have a center cap that covers the extra lugs, you now have a 9-lug 914.

I still think this is very cool, but to make it visually appealing you'd have to swap out the hubs as well to eliminate the adapter. At that point, you might as well just do a five lug 914 swap or(IMHO) a JDM type hub ....like 4x114.3. This would allow you to run a lot of vintage Honda/Toyota type wheels, which I personally have always favored over the VW/Porsche options(I understand I'm probably the only guy here with that opinion)

Back to the original topic....didn't the Beck 550 run wide fives?

Attached Image

Attached Image

+Quote Post
Literati914
post Jul 27 2024, 09:22 AM
Post #7

QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Jul 27 2024, 06:55 AM) *

--DD

This is a good point - though I doubt flares would be needed. I pulled rear fenders on my current narrow body project car and have installed ET26 sport steelies from a "sport bug" (un-common wheel with a lot of lip, relative)... and w/ 205/60R15 tires and there is still room to go a little wider in the back. So I could do the wide-5 thing on this car for sure, or the next one in line (it needs paint too).

I think the OP could probably roll the rear fenders and get away with it - but YMMV.
+Quote Post
Literati914
post Jul 27 2024, 09:31 AM
Post #8

QUOTE(Craigers17 @ Jul 27 2024, 07:52 AM) *

..Also, as you can see in the pic, unless you have a center cap that covers the extra lugs, you now have a 9-lug 914.

This is why original style aluminum drum skins and flat-head bolts (like I linked to ^^) are the ONLY way to do this IMHO!

+Quote Post
bkrantz
post Jul 27 2024, 08:07 PM
Post #9

914 Guru

Member No.: 23,343
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

QUOTE(Craigers17 @ Jul 27 2024, 06:52 AM) *

QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Jul 27 2024, 05:55 AM) *

--DD

This post is spot on. I tried this with some 14x6 wide fives and mounted just the wheels with adapters. You would need to at least pull the fenders and that still probably wouldn't work. Also, as you can see in the pic, unless you have a center cap that covers the extra lugs, you now have a 9-lug 914.

I still think this is very cool, but to make it visually appealing you'd have to swap out the hubs as well to eliminate the adapter. At that point, you might as well just do a five lug 914 swap or(IMHO) a JDM type hub ....like 4x114.3. This would allow you to run a lot of vintage Honda/Toyota type wheels, which I personally have always favored over the VW/Porsche options(I understand I'm probably the only guy here with that opinion)

Attached Image

Attached Image

Looks like a good way to add lots of weight and complexity. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/screwy.gif)
+Quote Post
Literati914
post Jul 27 2024, 10:12 PM
Post #10

QUOTE(bkrantz @ Jul 27 2024, 09:07 PM) *

..Looks like a good way to add lots of weight and complexity. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/screwy.gif)

Yeah, probably should slap on yet another set of boring Fuchs (IMG:style_emoticons/default/screwy.gif)
+Quote Post
Craigers17
post Jul 28 2024, 04:26 AM
Post #11

Member No.: 21,317
Region Association: South East States

QUOTE(Literati914 @ Jul 27 2024, 09:31 AM) *

QUOTE(Craigers17 @ Jul 27 2024, 07:52 AM) *

..Also, as you can see in the pic, unless you have a center cap that covers the extra lugs, you now have a 9-lug 914.

This is why original style aluminum drum skins and flat-head bolts (like I linked to ^^) are the ONLY way to do this IMHO!

Yep, I should have checked out your links. With those flat head bolts and the aluminum spacer, it would have looked a lot cleaner, even without a cover.
+Quote Post
ClayPerrine
post Jul 28 2024, 10:14 AM
Post #12

Life's been good to me so far.....

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,143
Region Association: NineFourteenerVille

The reason VW dropped the "wide 5" lug pattern is not looks. It is a "lug centric" wheel. "Hub centric" is much better. The front of the later 914s is "Hub centric" and 74 and later 911s were "hub centric" all the way around. Plus, the "wide 5' lug pattern works well with drum brakes, but doesn't really work well with disk brakes.

If you are doing it because it looks cool, then I understand. But I would get some custom rear hubs made so you can use the "wide 5" wheels. I don't like bolt on spacers on any vehicle.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
3 User(s) are reading this topic (3 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 7th September 2024 - 10:33 PM