Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

5 Pages V « < 2 3 4 5 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> D-Jet Conversion not going as planned., Car starts but will not run.
slapshot
post Oct 22 2024, 10:34 PM
Post #61

Group: Members
Member No.: 27,409
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

Thanks to all that contributed. It sure is great to have so many people willing to help. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

I'm still working on getting it to idle at the correct RPM. I need to dial in the nob on the ECU. Cylinder 1 plug shows I'm running rich.

QUOTE(Superhawk996 @ Oct 22 2024, 09:42 AM) *

Tangerine directions
Do you have the disassembly instructions?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
emerygt350
post Oct 23 2024, 05:17 AM
Post #62

Advanced Member

Member No.: 25,740
Region Association: North East States

Now you can get down to the fun of d-jet. Set your timing now that it's running.

What you want to do then is reduce all vacuum hoses to only the necessary (mps, aar). When the car is cold the aar should put it around 1600rpm. As it heats and the aar closes it should drop to 900. If it isn't than you have a vacuum leak somewhere and or your timing is too advanced.

Common leaks are the various hoses of course, the plenum, the plenum runner sleeves, and the injectors. The intake gaskets can also leak of course. I like carb cleaner to chase leaks, many others here like smoke machines.
+Quote Post
FlacaProductions
post Oct 23 2024, 02:30 PM
Post #63

Member No.: 21,628
Region Association: Southern California

I've read that "canned air" (Dust-Off for cleaning out computer keyboards) is a good, non-messy way to chase vacuum leaks.
It uses a refrigerant that doesnt burn well....spray at things...if the idle drops....BINGO!

the can even has a little straw so you can get real close without getting real close....

its dry too, no wet anything....
+Quote Post
JamesM
post Oct 23 2024, 04:07 PM
Post #64

Member No.: 5,834
Region Association: Intermountain Region

QUOTE(slapshot @ Oct 21 2024, 11:50 AM) *

How sensitive is that inner screw? If I move it could it cause damage to the engine?

No more than risk of that than where you are currently.

But fiddling with the MPS wont get you a known good MPS, it will just potentially get you closer (or might do nothing at all)

Save time and start with a known good, calibrated, tested MPS.
+Quote Post
brant
post Oct 23 2024, 04:52 PM
Post #65

914 Wizard

Member No.: 47

Agreed

Don’t touch the MPs any more until you have a wide band AFR

Really hard to set them correct
Really really really easy to mess up the settings
+Quote Post
rjames
post Oct 23 2024, 04:53 PM
Post #66

I'm made of metal

Member No.: 4,467
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

You can make a cheap homemade smoke 'machine' very easily that will be more accurate than spraying canned air. Do this before moving to the MPS.
And if you have to move the to MPS, yes, you'll need a wide-band AFR to set it correctly for YOUR car. Even if someone were to calibrate an MPS for you, unless they did so while it was installed in your car and reading the AFR, it likely won't be set correctly for your engine.

Also, do you know if they changed the cam on your car when they ditched the FI for carbs?
+Quote Post
brant
post Oct 23 2024, 05:04 PM
Post #67

914 Wizard

Did you set the timing with a strobe light yet?

Also with the distributor vacuum line removed?

Otherwise you high idle is just the timing

Set all the basics again before touching anything
+Quote Post
JeffBowlsby
post Oct 23 2024, 05:24 PM
Post #68

914 Wiring Harnesses

Member No.: 104
Region Association: None

QUOTE(rjames @ Oct 23 2024, 03:53 PM) *

Even if someone were to calibrate an MPS for you, unless they did so while it was installed in your car and reading the AFR, it likely won't be set correctly for your engine.

^^^THIS.

So often overlooked. No two engines are alike in terms of wear and therefore fuel needs. I have documented multiple NOS MPSs of the same part numbers and are calibrated similarly, but differently, and small variations matter as the calibration is sensitive. Best way is to tune it to your specific engine with an engine dyno, EGA analyzer or WBO2 sensor.
+Quote Post
slapshot
post Oct 23 2024, 10:34 PM
Post #69

I have a smoke box and pushed smoke through it today. Found that the intake to 3 and 4 were leaking between the head and air intake bad. I had a new gasket and fix it. I need to do a better job making the top of throttle body air tight. There was too much smoke coming out of it for me to tell if there were leaks around it.

I haven't set the timing yet. Thanks Brant for reminding me that I need to disconnect the vacuum.

I have opened the MPS a couple times but I haven't touched the adjustment screws yet. I do want to put a new paper gasket in it to fix the leak but I don't know how to disassemble it to remove that diaphragm and if it can be done without moving the adjustment screws.
+Quote Post
emerygt350
post Oct 24 2024, 05:31 AM
Post #70

Advanced Member

You can do that without moving the screws. It really is super simple. Tangerine racing has a little instruction sheet Chris ships with his kit. Perhaps ask him for a copy? It really is so simple you don't need it but you will eventually want the tool, so maybe buy the tool and get the instructions?
+Quote Post
slapshot
post Oct 24 2024, 06:58 AM
Post #71

QUOTE(rjames @ Oct 23 2024, 04:53 PM) *

Also, do you know if they changed the cam on your car when they ditched the FI for carbs?

The previous owner does not know if they changed it when he switched to carbs. He had it done back in the 80s.
+Quote Post
slapshot
post Oct 24 2024, 07:20 AM
Post #72

QUOTE(emerygt350 @ Oct 24 2024, 05:31 AM) *

You can do that without moving the screws. It really is super simple. Tangerine racing has a little instruction sheet Chris ships with his kit. Perhaps ask him for a copy? It really is so simple you don't need it but you will eventually want the tool, so maybe buy the tool and get the instructions?

I requested the instructions. Is it as simple as just pushing on the inner screw to pop the diaphragm out?
+Quote Post
brant
post Oct 24 2024, 08:40 AM
Post #73

914 Wizard

I would get the tuned first

You can’t expect it to give you baseline until everything is set

But I would use blue hylomar on the MPS gasket
Have done so before
It’s non hardening but creates a seal

+Quote Post
rjames
post Oct 24 2024, 10:09 AM
Post #74

I'm made of metal

Member No.: 4,467
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

QUOTE(slapshot @ Oct 24 2024, 06:20 AM) *

QUOTE(emerygt350 @ Oct 24 2024, 05:31 AM) *

I requested the instructions. Is it as simple as just pushing on the inner screw to pop the diaphragm out?

After you open the MPS there are 4 screws that hold the diaphragm in place. Once you remove those screws, the diaphragm will be loose and will drop out into your hand.
Replacing the gasket (or cleaning it up and trying to reseal it) doesn't require touching the adjustment screws at all.

In depth info that covers 95% of everything you could ever hope to know about the MPS can be found here.
+Quote Post
slapshot
post Oct 24 2024, 03:37 PM
Post #75

QUOTE(rjames @ Oct 24 2024, 10:09 AM) *

After you open the MPS there are 4 screws that hold the diaphragm in place. Once you remove those screws, the diaphragm will be loose and will drop out into your hand.
Replacing the gasket (or cleaning it up and trying to reseal it) doesn't require touching the adjustment screws at all.

In depth info that covers 95% of everything you could ever hope to know about the MPS can be found here.

Good to know. Mine wasn't loose and with my nail the retaining washer didn't want to come out. I stopped there not wanting to damage it.
+Quote Post
emerygt350
post Oct 24 2024, 05:47 PM
Post #76

Advanced Member

QUOTE(slapshot @ Oct 24 2024, 03:37 PM) *

QUOTE(rjames @ Oct 24 2024, 10:09 AM) *

Good to know. Mine wasn't loose and with my nail the retaining washer didn't want to come out. I stopped there not wanting to damage it.

Wait for the instructions... Pbanders site linked above is good too but probably more than you need at the moment.
+Quote Post
slapshot
post Oct 25 2024, 08:42 AM
Post #77

With the smoke test, I get smoke coming out each side of the throttle shaft. Is there a bushing kit for this? Is it rebuildable or can I pack with grease?
+Quote Post
brant
post Oct 25 2024, 09:07 AM
Post #78

914 Wizard

It’s rebuildable
But no kit
A difficult job with custom sized bushing and often involves cleaning the bore of the throttle body ID. Then making a custom sized throttle plate to fit the new ID

A job best left for a rebuilder/machinist to do
+Quote Post
emerygt350
post Oct 25 2024, 10:49 AM
Post #79

Advanced Member

QUOTE(brant @ Oct 25 2024, 09:07 AM) *

It’s rebuildable
But no kit
A difficult job with custom sized bushing and often involves cleaning the bore of the throttle body ID. Then making a custom sized throttle plate to fit the new ID

A job best left for a rebuilder/machinist to do

I sent mine off to be rebuilt by a member here. Turned out very nice. If you are interested I can pm the info. Normally the shafts don't leak much and won't affect anything until you get picky about fine tuning so you may want to leave that job for later.

On a d-jet it's all about controlled vacuum leaks. Your idle adjustment screw on the throttle body can compensate for the air coming in around the throttle shaft for the time being.
+Quote Post
slapshot
post Oct 25 2024, 11:52 AM
Post #80

Now the BIG issue. I am working on setting the timing. Remember that I started with a great running car with carbs that I did all the work to get it working good, did all the carb tuning, installed and setup new 123 dist, etc. So its this isn't my first time. I set TDC based on plug 1 on the rotor, follow the instructions from 123 website, set app to 20 deg for all RPMs, try to start the car but it wont start. I guess I had the dist too loose and it slid up and out of the groove so the rotor wasn't turning. Here's where it all goes bad. I set TDC and verify by using a leak down test (easier than removing the valve covers) to verify the valves are both closed. The issue is TDC for #1 is about 180 degrees off what it was before. I have double, triple, quadrupled checked this and pulled the valve cover off to verify the valves are loose. What am I missing here? Is it possible that the dist gear moved? The dist didn't pop out of its hole that I know it just slid up a bit. Could the 123 internal drive slipped? Could I have had it wrong with the carb and ran it all summer? I think I've lost my mind.
+Quote Post

5 Pages V « < 2 3 4 5 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
5 User(s) are reading this topic (5 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th October 2024 - 04:20 AM