Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

5 Pages V « < 3 4 5  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> D-Jet Conversion not going as planned., Car starts but will not run.
rjames
post Oct 25 2024, 12:37 PM
Post #81

I'm made of metal

Group: Members
Member No.: 4,467
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

QUOTE(slapshot @ Oct 25 2024, 07:42 AM) *

With the smoke test, I get smoke coming out each side of the throttle shaft. Is there a bushing kit for this? Is it rebuildable or can I pack with grease?

Each side? Assuming you've sealed the top of the TB when testing, there are only 3 possible areas from the TB itself where leaks could occur (unless there is a crack somewhere):
Idle screw
Vacuum port 1 (for advance- facing rear of car)
vacuum port 2 (for retard facing front of car- not all cars had this port)

When doing the smoke test, plug both vacuum ports.

Are you sure the leak isn't coming where the throttle body sits on the plenum? You may just need to tighten the bolts holding it down, or more likely you need a new throttle body gasket.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
slapshot
post Oct 25 2024, 01:02 PM
Post #82

Member No.: 27,409
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

QUOTE(rjames @ Oct 25 2024, 12:37 PM) *

QUOTE(slapshot @ Oct 25 2024, 07:42 AM) *

With the smoke test, I get smoke coming out each side of the throttle shaft. Is there a bushing kit for this? Is it rebuildable or can I pack with grease?

Each side? Assuming you've sealed the top of the TB when testing, there are only 3 possible areas from the TB itself where leaks could occur (unless there is a crack somewhere):
Idle screw
Vacuum port 1 (for advance- facing rear of car)
vacuum port 2 (for retard facing front of car- not all cars had this port)

When doing the smoke test, plug both vacuum ports.

Are you sure the leak isn't coming where the throttle body sits on the plenum? You may just need to tighten the bolts holding it down, or more likely you need a new throttle body gasket.

From what I could tell it is coming from both sides of the shaft holes. nothing from the new vacuum hose on the body. The gasket on under the TB is new. I'll check the bolts again.
+Quote Post
slapshot
post Oct 25 2024, 01:18 PM
Post #83

I set the timing even though I'm confused on where TDC is for #1 now. It runs pretty descent. Idle is still a little high at 1150 after the AAR closes and with the throttle adjust screw all the way in. There's a hole in my throttle plate. Is there suppose to be? If I plug it with my finger the RPMs drop down and I can then open the throttle screw to bring idle up to 900 or so. Here's a link on how the car sounds now. Idle after timing

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
emerygt350
post Oct 25 2024, 03:28 PM
Post #84

Advanced Member

Member No.: 25,740
Region Association: North East States

That throttle shaft leak will add some rpms, is your vacuum retard port plugged? I see the hose running off somewhere. If your distributor is set for retard and you have it disconnected, that might be what you need to bring the idle down. I have found the retard does not work on my 123dizzy but it is not the Bluetooth version. I think you would be best served by just plugging that port at the throttle body and not using retard at all. At worst your dizzy is set for advance and it is getting the advance signal when the throttle is closed and no other time.

1150 is very close. Yes the hole is supposed to be there. Also, try plugging the hole inside the throttle body with your finger. Sometimes that idle screw does not seal perfectly. And by hole I mean the one in the casting not the butterfly.
+Quote Post
slapshot
post Oct 25 2024, 05:40 PM
Post #85

I have the retard hose plugged into the dizzy but I have the MAP curve set to 0 for all pressures. I'll plug it and see if that helps.

I took it for a drive. It went okay. It seemed to misfire or sputter at a couple RPM spots. I believe its the TPS so I'm going to order a new sensor board. Comparing to my Webers, it didn't seem to have the pull between 3-5k RPMs. I thought it was running lean but I checked plugs 2&4 and they looked pretty good.
+Quote Post
r_towle
post Oct 25 2024, 06:31 PM
Post #86

Custom Member

Member No.: 124

What is your dwell?
Timing set with no vacuum?
+Quote Post
r_towle
post Oct 25 2024, 06:34 PM
Post #87

Custom Member

Member No.: 124

Also, have you cleaned and re greased the advance plates in the distributor?
+Quote Post
emerygt350
post Oct 25 2024, 06:56 PM
Post #88

Advanced Member

It is a 123 towle, at least I think it is.

I wouldn't put much of anything into driving performance yet.

TPS might be it but I doubt it. Just disconnect the TPS entirely and try driving it. It really isn't necessary for most normal driving. The only time I have run into tps issues is at cruise and having a dead spot. That was actually from the new board. Went back to the original and it worked great. The new material just doesn't hold up like the original.

You will get a hesitation at tip in without TPS but that's about all unless you are really getting crazy.
+Quote Post
emerygt350
post Oct 25 2024, 06:58 PM
Post #89

Advanced Member

I suspect your misfires and stalls are timing and mps related. Get the timing perfect and the we can start looking at other stuff. Have you verified tdc?
+Quote Post
slapshot
post Oct 25 2024, 09:12 PM
Post #90

I do have a 123 dizzy so no dwell to mess with and I have vacuum advance disabled.

I don't know what else to check to find TDC #1. I set the fan wheel to the timing mark, did a leak down to verify that the valves were closed on #1 and even opened the valve cover and verified #1 rocker arms where both loose. Oh and I did a leak down on #3 to verify that exhaust valve was open. Anything else to check?

I'll disconnect the TPS tomorrow and take it for another spin. I just got back from a ride, it cut out at least once as I would get on the throttle. Not as I would get on the throttle but some point as RPMs were increasing.

It seems to run cooler than before but that's base only on two short rides.
+Quote Post
emerygt350
post Oct 26 2024, 05:46 AM
Post #91

Advanced Member

I use a boroscope to ensure tdc, but what you did works too. Idle is set at 3400 if I remember correctly (double check that). My car really likes 28.5 but each car is different. Since we have 123s I am not certain that old way of setting idle is really necessary. I find 8ish at idle equals where I want to be all in. However, if your idle is high you are stuck doing the high rpm timing anyway.

I am not familiar with setting the curve in Bluetooth dizzys but I do know there are some suggested curves to start with for d-jet.

If you are getting a miss and your timing is good I would suspect mps tuning at that point. You probably have lean spots at particular vacuum rpm combinations. Do you have afr gauge set up? I found having a vacuum gauge and an afr in the cab allowed me to tune the mps relatively easily in the car.

Oh, and if you have bad spots in your TPS, the whole engine stops (the ECU seems to stop the injectors or something). Like a whole engine miss. It's really disturbing and only tends to happen when you are cruising (that's where the bad spot develops).
+Quote Post
Geezer914
post Oct 26 2024, 06:59 AM
Post #92

Geezer914

Member No.: 10,179

There are throttle body shaft seals you can order.
+Quote Post
slapshot
post Oct 26 2024, 10:06 AM
Post #93

QUOTE(Geezer914 @ Oct 26 2024, 06:59 AM) *

There are throttle body shaft seals you can order.

Good deal. I'll be looking for some. If you know a part # for a 2.0 let me know. Thanks
+Quote Post
slapshot
post Oct 26 2024, 10:26 AM
Post #94

QUOTE(emerygt350 @ Oct 26 2024, 05:46 AM) *

I use a boroscope to ensure tdc, but what you did works too. Idle is set at 3400 if I remember correctly (double check that). My car really likes 28.5 but each car is different. Since we have 123s I am not certain that old way of setting idle is really necessary. I find 8ish at idle equals where I want to be all in. However, if your idle is high you are stuck doing the high rpm timing anyway.

Here's how I set the timing. Set TDC #1, turn the dizzy CCW til the light turns off, then turn it CW til it turns on making sure there is not slack in the rotor. I then set the dizzy on the app @ 20 degrees for all RMPs and set my timing gun to 20 degrees, start the car and turn the dizzy CCW til the timing light is in the "V". Turn timing up to 28 in the app and checked it again at 3000 RPMs. If this is wrong LMK cause it does sounds like the timing is off or maybe MPS calibration is wrong. How about the ECU knob? I've got it 5 click CCW from total CW. I'm still trying different clicks.

I am not familiar with setting the curve in Bluetooth dizzys but I do know there are some suggested curves to start with for d-jet.

See attachment for my curve. This is what worked best for my Webers.

If you are getting a miss and your timing is good I would suspect mps tuning at that point. You probably have lean spots at particular vacuum rpm combinations. Do you have afr gauge set up? I found having a vacuum gauge and an afr in the cab allowed me to tune the mps relatively easily in the car.

I found and fixed another vacuum leak going to the decel valve. I will probably get a rebuilt MPS from a repealable supplier. I don't have an AFR.

Oh, and if you have bad spots in your TPS, the whole engine stops (the ECU seems to stop the injectors or something). Like a whole engine miss. It's really disturbing and only tends to happen when you are cruising (that's where the bad spot develops).

I unplugged the TPS and went for a ride. The engine misses stopped. Before it was like you described where it seemed that the engine would dang near stopped. My body would jerk forward in my seat.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
emerygt350
post Oct 26 2024, 12:25 PM
Post #95

Advanced Member

Well, looks like that TPS board is in your future.

Timing seems fine. I would verify with a light of course.

That knob in the ECU is only supposed to affect idle richness. However, the ECU determines idle by the TPS, so if your TPS isn't behaving...

+Quote Post
JamesM
post Oct 26 2024, 03:09 PM
Post #96

Member No.: 5,834
Region Association: Intermountain Region

That's a lot of advance at idle. Likely kicking up you idle speed.

set a flat line at 8 degrees between 500-1200 and see what happens
+Quote Post
emerygt350
post Oct 26 2024, 04:50 PM
Post #97

Advanced Member

QUOTE(JamesM @ Oct 26 2024, 03:09 PM) *

That's a lot of advance at idle. Likely kicking up you idle speed.

set a flat line at 8 degrees between 500-1200 and see what happens

Ahh, yes, I didn't see that. That makes me wonder if they weren't anticipating vacuum retard? That kind of advance down there would add a couple hundred to the old idle for sure. I would start adding timing around 1200 like mentioned above.
+Quote Post

5 Pages V « < 3 4 5
Reply to this topicStart new topic
3 User(s) are reading this topic (3 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th October 2024 - 02:50 AM