Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> PRESSURE, force required to rotate a 1700
orangecrate
post Oct 19 2024, 07:04 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 16,394
Region Association: Southwest Region

Getting ready to install a rebuilt engine in my car and it feels a little stiff. I did not do the work (means nothing) and not really familiar with these engines. (Type 4) So what should it take to spin this thing? Rotating torque on a short block. Plugs out. Never ran. Stock engine. Thanks Robin
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
fixer34
post Oct 19 2024, 07:19 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 17,908
Region Association: Upper MidWest

QUOTE(orangecrate @ Oct 19 2024, 08:04 PM) *

Getting ready to install a rebuilt engine in my car and it feels a little stiff. I did not do the work (means nothing) and not really familiar with these engines. (Type 4) So what should it take to spin this thing? Rotating torque on a short block. Plugs out. Never ran. Stock engine. Thanks Robin

If you can't grab the flywheel with one hand and turn it, something isn't right.
+Quote Post
orangecrate
post Oct 20 2024, 07:08 AM
Post #3

QUOTE(fixer34 @ Oct 19 2024, 06:19 PM) *

If you can't grab the flywheel with one hand and turn it, something isn't right.

Ya That's not happenin. My beam/pointer torque wrench says somewhere in the neighborhood of 20 lb/ft.
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Oct 20 2024, 07:37 AM
Post #4

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

On a short block there should be almost no resistance. Just the friction of the assembly lube on the bearing surfaces.
+Quote Post
Shivers
post Oct 20 2024, 08:18 AM
Post #5

Member No.: 24,781
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(orangecrate @ Oct 20 2024, 06:08 AM) *

Ya That's not happenin. My beam/pointer torque wrench says somewhere in the neighborhood of 20 lb/ft.

Check the dizzy drive, make sure it is meshed with the gear on the crank. Make sure when you check the flywheel see that they didn’t shim it too tight. I’ve pulled them apart and found
A main bearing that didn’t have the guide pin in the hole and it squashed the bearing to the crank
+Quote Post
orangecrate
post Oct 20 2024, 10:14 AM
Post #6

QUOTE(Shivers @ Oct 20 2024, 07:18 AM) *

Check the dizzy drive, make sure it is meshed with the gear on the crank. Make sure when you check the flywheel see that they didn’t shim it too tight. I’ve pulled them apart and found
A main bearing that didn’t have the guide pin in the hole and it squashed the bearing to the crank

Thanks too all. I am going to tear this down myself so any other suspious things to look for will be greatly appreciated. Last time I did anything like this was almost 60 years ago!!! SBC and it blew up 2wks later!!! Left me a little gunshy. I was only 16. Not very meticulous. Right now I got more time than money and it's supposed to be a "new" engine ...or at least new parts. We shall see. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) I got 4 different manuals ,including the factory shop manual so maybe I can get it right this time.
+Quote Post
930cabman
post Oct 20 2024, 03:02 PM
Post #7

Advanced Member

Member No.: 24,877
Region Association: North East States

QUOTE(orangecrate @ Oct 20 2024, 10:14 AM) *

Thanks too all. I am going to tear this down myself so any other suspious things to look for will be greatly appreciated. Last time I did anything like this was almost 60 years ago!!! SBC and it blew up 2wks later!!! Left me a little gunshy. I was only 16. Not very meticulous. Right now I got more time than money and it's supposed to be a "new" engine ...or at least new parts. We shall see. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) I got 4 different manuals ,including the factory shop manual so maybe I can get it right this time.

Research and repeat several times and most of all take your time. So long as you are not all thumbs, you will be fine
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
worn
post Oct 20 2024, 06:24 PM
Post #8

can't remember

Member No.: 13,152
Region Association: Upper MidWest

QUOTE(orangecrate @ Oct 20 2024, 09:14 AM) *

Sounds like you are on the right track. The fact that you stopped to ask is a really good sign.
+Quote Post
sixnotfour
post Oct 22 2024, 06:55 PM
Post #9

914 Wizard

Member No.: 2,744
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

check ernd play first
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th October 2024 - 06:01 PM