Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs
 
914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!
 
Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.
 

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Air/Fuel mix experts needed.
malcolm2
post Sep 30 2026, 04:04 PM
Post #1


Advanced Member
****

Group: Members
Posts: 2,751
Joined: 31-May 11
From: Nashville
Member No.: 13,139
Region Association: South East States



Hey hey... I need some suggestions. I went for a nice drive last nite. I have a AFR gauge that has not been working. But the PLX Devices system has a blue tooth transmitter so i can review the live data on my phone.

I was getting 10.5 A/F reading. It did jump to 12.5 as i went to neutral and coasted to a stop.

To start with, I was thinking i would pull the sensor and take a look, maybe clean it up and re-drive.

Any ideas about the 1st steps? The car seemed to run fine.

I will need to look them up here, but years ago I had a reply from, I believe, Mark Henry that gave me the following:

13.5-12.9 while accelerating of climbing
12-8-12.5 at WOT
16-17 going downhill or decelerating.

1911 cc L-Jet. I did tweek the AFM back in the day. 62,000 miles ago.


the link to the 5 page post from 2017
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
JamesM
post Oct 1 2026, 01:19 PM
Post #2


Caretaker of 914s - Master of Fuel Injection
****

Group: Members
Posts: 2,318
Joined: 6-April 06
From: Kearns, UT
Member No.: 5,834
Region Association: Intermountain Region



10.5 is way rich

Probably not impacting to much other than gas mileage, but I wouldnt want it there long term, thats rich enough to potentially be getting black smoke out the tail pipe on acceleration enrichment.


Ideally
~13.5 at idle
~12.8 full load

No reason to ever see anything richer than 12s. May be able to go leaner at idle if you have an ECU with the adjustment knob but 13.5 is usually around the strongest there.

light load/cruise is a lot less particular, not sure you are going to see anywhere near Mark Henrys targets with d-jet, light load/cruise usually winds up mid-high 13s. while leaning out this area is totally acceptable it can require additional ignition advance to avoid missfires which most of the stock setups dont give you. 14.7 is the HOTEST place you can run and you generally want to be either richer or leaner than that. Best for emissions, and totally fine on water cooled cars, but then that is why we dont have air cooled cars anymore.



EDIT: I missed that you are L-jet, you may be able to setup leaner cruise numbers.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
emerygt350
post Oct 2 2026, 06:11 AM
Post #3


Advanced Member
****

Group: Members
Posts: 3,763
Joined: 20-July 21
From: Upstate, NY
Member No.: 25,740
Region Association: North East States



Not sure what brand of gauge you have but my auto meter is super picky about rich mixes and just sits there and wags at me when I am running too rich or if it doesn't like the voltage it's getting. It also does that when my cheap O2 sensors get tired.

I shoot for the numbers JamesM posted. I am getting pretty good at Djet, but no clue on ljet. 13.5 at idle really does seem like the sweet spot for a strong reliable idle. At cruise I use advance (and now I have a bluetooth 123 so I am having fun with pushing the numbers around), and like it to sit around 16.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
malcolm2
post Oct 2 2026, 06:24 AM
Post #4


Advanced Member
****

Group: Members
Posts: 2,751
Joined: 31-May 11
From: Nashville
Member No.: 13,139
Region Association: South East States



Yes, the reading is low. Question is how can i change them, short of the delicate AFM spring adjustment? Yes on the fuel mileage too.

1st i wanted to go over the sensor, wiring, and gauge to see if it was working. Maybe clean up the sensor or buy a new one from PLX Devices.

So looking for pointers on the AFR system and making FI adjustments.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
JamesM
post Oct 2 2026, 08:24 AM
Post #5


Caretaker of 914s - Master of Fuel Injection
****

Group: Members
Posts: 2,318
Joined: 6-April 06
From: Kearns, UT
Member No.: 5,834
Region Association: Intermountain Region



QUOTE(malcolm2 @ Oct 2 2026, 04:24 AM) *

So looking for pointers on the AFR system and making FI adjustments.


On the AFM itself you can adjust the spring preload of the air meeting flap.

There is also a static position adjustment as well as the idle mixture screw.



Not sure what you can do as far as wiring other than testing the continuity and resistance readings of the sensors at the ECU connector.



The AFM adjustment is not a touchy as you might think, especially with a 50+ year old tired spring. You can mark the starting position and return it there if needed.

There is however the possibility that it was previously adjusted to get around a wear spot in the track, in which case you just need a new AFM.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Literati914
post Oct 2 2026, 09:33 AM
Post #6


Advanced Member
****

Group: Members
Posts: 2,388
Joined: 16-November 06
From: Dallas, TX
Member No.: 7,222
Region Association: Southwest Region



On my last build I had similar issues - turned out I needed to add a fused (small glass tube, 250Ma I think) wire to the heater input of my Lamda processor (brand 14point7 btw), that was not included with my kit for some reason. I added it, and it immediately corrected.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

 



- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 2nd October 2026 - 06:23 PM
...