Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> SS Fuel Line Installation, with pictures
smooth_eddy
post Sep 16 2005, 04:57 PM
Post #21

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,102

From your last picture it looks like you used 2 different types of hose under the gas tank. What was the reason? Also, from an old post the ends of the metal fuel line was threaded so the hose gets a good bite. Do you think there is any chance of your connections coming apart? This is my next project. I am glad it can be done with the engine in place. How long did it take including removing and replacing the interior? Thanks, Eddy
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
billd
post Sep 16 2005, 06:44 PM
Post #22

Group: Members
Member No.: 4,145

QUOTE (smooth_eddy @ Sep 16 2005, 02:57 PM)
From your last picture it looks like you used 2 different types of hose under the gas tank.  What was the reason?  Also, from an old post the ends of the metal fuel line was threaded so the hose gets a good bite.  Do you think there is any chance of your connections coming apart?   This is my next project.  I am glad it can be done with the engine in place.  How long did it take including removing and replacing the interior?  Thanks,  Eddy

The lines out of the fuel tank are two very different sizes, so I used different size hose. I used 9mm hose on the line from the tank to the fuel filter, 7mm hose from the return line to the tank. I chose to use 5/16 hose on the line from the pump to the tank. 9mm would have worked as well, but 5/16 was a more snug fit on the 5/16 OD SS line.

To get the hoses to grip on the SS line I notched the SS line with a file and die grinder. About four notches, one every 1/4 inch at about four places around the circumference of the tube. I also degreased the lines with solvent to get them real clean before I slipped the hoses on. I'll keep an eye on them, but I don't think the hoses will come off.

I did this project over a period of several weeks, grabbing an hour here or there as time allowed. A rough guess on time is:
Remove fuel tank, interior, and old lines - 1 hour.
Fit new lines in place - this took me about 3 hours, but if you ended the lines at the right side of the firewall I think you could do it in 1 to 1.5 hours.
Clamp new lines to firewall - 0.5 hour.
Fabricate clamp and clamp lines under tank - this took me about 1 hour, but you could omit this step.
Reinstall fuel tank - 0.5 hours.
Reinstall interior - I haven't done this yet. I'll guess 1.5 hours.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th June 2024 - 06:44 PM