Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

4 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> 914 market update, in this months excellence mag
qa1142
post Sep 26 2005, 07:19 PM
Post #21

Whiplash

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,140

Look in Hemmings and you will see pricing like this. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/huh.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
IronHillRestorations
post Sep 26 2005, 07:22 PM
Post #22

I. I. R. C.

Member No.: 439
Region Association: None

QUOTE (lapuwali @ Sep 26 2005, 05:15 PM)
Pete Stout, editor of Excellence, is on this board. Were I him, I'd be more than a little annoyed at people posting copyrighted content from his mag on this board.

I may have published one of Pete's first Porsche articles when I was editor of "Twin Trunks Tribune"!

If I were foolish enough to post a scanned copy of a copyrighted publication, I'd find a CYA, before doing so.
+Quote Post
lapuwali
post Sep 26 2005, 07:23 PM
Post #23

Not another one!

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 1,743

QUOTE (9146986 @ Sep 26 2005, 05:12 PM)
The data comes from an average of vehicles that have actually sold. So a cherry low mile '73 2.0 that breaks the ceiling would throw the average off.

These cars are now 30 plus years old, and very good (not hit, not rusted out and welded back together) examples are getting harder to find. Even in the PCA Panorama, you don't usually see more than five or six 914's total, when as little as five years ago there'd be a dozen minimum.

Show me a cherry, perfect '73 2.0 for less than the high price in the market report! It's not unusual to see these cars bring more than the prices posted.

Another factor is restoration costs, you can restore the same vintage 911 for the same money, or less (engine not withstanding). 914 parts are in many cases more expensive than 911 parts. While you can't get that money back at the time of sale, it is a consideration that effects the selling price, as well as perfect cars that don't need a restoration. Which again, are getting hard to find.

Let us not forget that the average 914'er is on the "thrifty" side of the Porsche spectrum, and grumbling about high prices is standard M.O. That is until it's time to sell YOUR 914! (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/biggrin.gif)

I have no quibble with the "excellent" numbers, but I have a real beef with the "poor" and "good" numbers, which are way too high. Finding buyers at "excellent" prices is also very hard. Local listings will NOT, in general, get you those prices.

I would define the condition categories as: poor = "needs welding", good = "needs paint", excellent = "needs nothing". Based on those definitions, you could fill a car hauler with Bay Area 914s in poor condition for $1000-1500 each in one weekend.
+Quote Post
redshift
post Sep 26 2005, 07:40 PM
Post #24

Bless the Hell out of you!

Member No.: 869

I hate to tell you that prices climbing, never did anything for the enthuisiasts.

Vintage guitars, nice retirement, but I can't even find one I'd like to have.. anymore.... coins... nice jingle, when you could keep them all in a cigar box, and touch them..

Prices going up just drive the people who love the machines away, and make a silly conversation starter, for someone who'd never have noticed.

M
+Quote Post
qa1142
post Sep 26 2005, 08:02 PM
Post #25

Whiplash

Member No.: 2,140

BTW

All you spoiled West coast kids should come and look for pricing in Midwest. Looks close to right for Midwest through East coast. I costs a $1000 to get one of your average cars here. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/huh.gif)

Shows $5500 for fair 74 1.8L about right if I wanted to sell and hold out. There is a 73 2.0L near here for $6995 (old sports car dealer) has not sold, but they have not dropped price either. You guys (and gals) have no idea how good you have it. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/sad.gif)

+Quote Post
motorhead
post Sep 26 2005, 08:04 PM
Post #26

Member No.: 4,784

prices seem a bit high for MY locale. CA. central valley. I'm planning to put my 76 2.0 on the market soon. I would say mine is the high end of "good" , rebuilt engine, fresh paint, int. & tires. I'm thinking 5-6K is about the top end. Hope I'm wrong.....
+Quote Post
dbledsoe
post Sep 26 2005, 08:39 PM
Post #27

Mutineer

Member No.: 687

QUOTE (Tobra @ Sep 26 2005, 06:57 PM)
That little table looks like nonsense to me.  According to that, I paid almost $3000 less than I should have.  I got a good deal, but not that good

And according to that table I paid $4000.00 less than I should have for my 75 2.0 and $5000.00 less than I should have for my 76 2.0L, both bought within the last 2 1/2 years! I love these cars (but sometime hate them (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/ar15.gif)) But with this info maybe I will love them both, always and forever. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/monkeydance.gif) (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/monkeydance.gif) (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/monkeydance.gif)
+Quote Post
lapuwali
post Sep 26 2005, 09:07 PM
Post #28

Not another one!

QUOTE (qa1142 @ Sep 26 2005, 06:02 PM)
BTW

All you spoiled West coast kids should come and look for pricing in Midwest. Looks close to right for Midwest through East coast. I costs a $1000 to get one of your average cars here. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/huh.gif)

Shows $5500 for fair 74 1.8L about right if I wanted to sell and hold out. There is a 73 2.0L near here for $6995 (old sports car dealer) has not sold, but they have not dropped price either. You guys (and gals) have no idea how good you have it. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/sad.gif)

Believe me, us "spoiled" West Coast kids pay for our cheap cars in other ways. If you saw my house and the price tag attached to it, you'd not think we were so spoiled...

I think I have to retract my earlier statement. Looking more closely at the numbers I think the "good" numbers are pretty close. The "poor" numbers are too high, and the "excellent" numbers are too low. Perhaps Bruce considers cars that "need welding" to be beneath consideration. They're "ultra poor". (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/biggrin.gif)

+Quote Post
jr91472
post Sep 26 2005, 09:14 PM
Post #29

"I'm pacing myself sergeant..."

Member No.: 2,437

whether they are too high or too low, anyone can debate....but can't we all be a little happy that are car are increasing in value?????

jeez (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/screwy.gif)

I think what you are seeing is that non-914 owners are beginning to appreciate them and are turning into first time 914 owners. Not everyone wants a project, so cars in good and excellent condition are increasing in value.

oh no, we aren't a cult following anymore (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/ohmy.gif)
+Quote Post
johnmhudson111
post Sep 26 2005, 09:20 PM
Post #30

Member No.: 3,191

Those number make me feel pretty good, I think I got a heck for a deal from Craig.
+Quote Post
fatlando
post Sep 26 2005, 09:34 PM
Post #31

Member No.: 2,700

makes me feel good. I have a 75 2.0 and to know that only a little over 4,000 were made makes me appreciate mine a little more.

...UPDATE.....My motor is out, separated the transmission.....now what????

I also have a "good" Hood if anybody wants it.....FREE!!! Just give me some knowledge and know how on the 501 and motor and we call it even stevens....

bye for now....

your favorite fat guy

fl
+Quote Post
dbledsoe
post Sep 26 2005, 09:36 PM
Post #32

Mutineer

QUOTE (lapuwali @ Sep 26 2005, 07:15 PM)
Pete Stout, editor of Excellence, is on this board. Were I him, I'd be more than a little annoyed at people posting copyrighted content from his mag on this board. It's a good mag serving a tiny audience, and should be supported...

Without knowing all the legalities involved, I'd have to ask why? The source of the info (Excellence Magazine) was posted right up front, and credit given to the magazine for the info. The text of the article, in spite of requests, was not given.

If Pete Stout is that insecure (which I doubt he is, but since you seem to be speaking on his behalf, or on behalf of what you think he might think...???) I'd have to ask why is he, or you, on this board (feel free to blast me for that question, as perhaps you might)? On this board I've seen a willingness to share information that was gained with a lot more blood, sweat, and tears than what I imagine went into Pete's article.

At 914club .com we share info, and everyone seems to know that. I sometimes wonder about how many skinned knuckles, family arguments, brains racked, reworks, frustrating experiences, credit cards over charged, financial hardships, and downright end of the ropes experiences our members here have endured in order to share what they have learned with us so that we might learn from their hardships. And all at no cost to us other than to be a member here, and maybe they hope we'll do the same in return.

Right or wrong, this topic wasn't posted by someone trying to rip Pete off, or take advantage of him. It was posted as a sharing of current info (a table of prices, overall a small part of the complete article), that may very well be far off track (reference the magazine to see the whole article).

Actually, I see this as free advertisement for Pete, as well as Excellence Magazine i.e. if you want the whole article go buy the magazine... better yet, subscribe as many of us here do.

Don Bledsoe
Boise, Idaho
+Quote Post
fatlando
post Sep 26 2005, 09:44 PM
Post #33

Member No.: 2,700

QUOTE (dbledsoe @ Sep 26 2005, 07:36 PM)

Actually, I see this as free advertisement for Pete, as well as Excellence Magazine i.e. if you want the whole article go buy the magazine... better yet, subscribe as many of us here do.

Don Bledsoe
Boise, Idaho

well said,

This is a great magazine, and I just got my second issue in the post today.....i've noticed, that the "914" advertisements are adding up, get yer parts now, before they sky rocket.

makes you think that the 914 will be the cool undiscovered secret of the porsche family tree.

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/smilie_pokal.gif)
+Quote Post
dbledsoe
post Sep 26 2005, 09:45 PM
Post #34

Mutineer

QUOTE (fatlando @ Sep 26 2005, 09:34 PM)
makes me feel good. I have a 75 2.0 and to know that only a little over 4,000 were made makes me appreciate mine a little more.

...UPDATE.....My motor is out, separated the transmission.....now what????

I also have a "good" Hood if anybody wants it.....FREE!!! Just give me some knowledge and know how on the 501 and motor and we call it even stevens....

bye for now....

your favorite fat guy

fl

Lando, my favorite fat Dude,

I dug the absorbers out of the boxes and will clean the little bit of crud (grease) off them and get them on their way to you this week. If you need any other 75/76 bouncing Betty bumper stuff let me know. I have two sets of them, complete. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/monkeydance.gif)

Don
+Quote Post
Bleyseng
post Sep 26 2005, 09:45 PM
Post #35

Aircooled Baby!

Member No.: 24
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Yeah, but there are copyright laws. I do read Excellence and don't want us to piss off Pete as he does post here and contributes to the madness here.

+Quote Post
porschecb
post Sep 26 2005, 09:58 PM
Post #36

Member No.: 2,529
Region Association: None

Wait!!!!!!!!!! If I sell my car what will I buy????? A better 914 or different 914???? (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/confused24.gif)
+Quote Post
dbledsoe
post Sep 26 2005, 10:04 PM
Post #37

Mutineer

QUOTE (Bleyseng @ Sep 26 2005, 09:45 PM)
Yeah, but there are copyright laws. I do read Excellence and don't want us to piss off Pete as he does post here and contributes to the madness here.

Agreed. But credit to the source was given.

Sorry if I don't share the same concern for pissing off Pete, which he should have no reason to be pissed off about. Credit was given to the magazine source.

I am a lot more concerned about crediting the poeple who REALLY contribute here. I see a lot less credit given to them than what has been wasted on this topic since it was hijacked for consideration of Pete's article .

I could try to name names but it would be nearly endless.
+Quote Post
lapuwali
post Sep 26 2005, 10:57 PM
Post #38

Not another one!

QUOTE (dbledsoe @ Sep 26 2005, 08:04 PM)
QUOTE (Bleyseng @ Sep 26 2005, 09:45 PM)

Agreed. But credit to the source was given.

Sorry if I don't share the same concern for pissing off Pete, which he should have no reason to be pissed off about. Credit was given to the magazine source.

I am a lot more concerned about crediting the poeple who REALLY contribute here. I see a lot less credit given to them than what has been wasted on this topic since it was hijacked for consideration of Pete's article .

I could try to name names but it would be nearly endless.

Copyright isn't about "credit". If you have the copyright, it's your privilege to allow or disallow the material to be reproduced. Excellence was "credited", but no one asked permission. Whether or not you think that's "right" doesn't make it legal to do so.

Lots of people on this board happily give away information, as does Pete. That doesn't mean you should just take it w/o asking for it. It's not just illegal, it's being rude to a contributor to this board.

+Quote Post
rick 918-S
post Sep 27 2005, 05:42 AM
Post #39

Hey nice rack! -Celette

Member No.: 43
Region Association: Northstar Region

I agree with Miles. I'm happy the little twin trunks but sad as the price point my change the type of owner it attracts. We shall see...

BTW: I'm sure in your excitement your ment no disrespect or harm to Exellence. As much as we all appreciate you sharing the pages of a mag you purchased, It would be in your best interest to delete the scan with the article. If you want to share the info state the source and type the content in your post. Protect us all from Copy right infringement.

Pete is a good friend here to us all. He is a serious 914 enthusist and a board contributor as well as a part of the Exellence team. Please show some respect for him and others.
+Quote Post
lotus_65
post Sep 27 2005, 06:42 AM
Post #40

Member No.: 3,795
Region Association: Northstar Region

QUOTE (lapuwali @ Sep 26 2005, 07:15 PM)
Right or wrong, this topic wasn't posted by someone trying to rip Pete off, or take advantage of him.  It was posted as a sharing of current info (a table of prices, overall a small part of the complete article), that may very well be far off track (reference the magazine to see the whole article).

actually, i thought people might go get the mag, or at least thumb through it next time they go the the rack. *I* didn't even post the actual info (although I considered it)!
if i was the editor, i'd be diggin' the 25+ extra copies sold and the 5+ additional subscriptions that'll come out of this thread, and grin.
"values" are just "numbers". anyone can take a stab at that. in fact if we had the interest, this club could become the definative source for valuation numbers if so inclined. (think then what we would do, share the info or hold it close?)
printed "words", "thoughts", ideas etc. are more tangible property. let's steer away from ripping that off and everyone's richer.
sound good?
+Quote Post

4 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th June 2024 - 10:48 PM