Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> How Long to let the car Warm-up
Britain Smith
post Nov 2 2005, 01:02 PM
Post #1

Nano Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 364

It is starting to get a bit chilly up here and I was wondering how long I should technically let the car warm-up before driving? I am sure that there is a recommended lenghts of time and an actually lenght of time that people are doing it. So, lets hear it...how long?

-Britain
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies(20 - 23)
bd1308
post Nov 3 2005, 09:55 AM
Post #21

Sir Post-a-lot

Member No.: 3,501

last night, i took it very easy (shifted slowly, shifted at 3000rpm, kept revs below that) and the engine actually ran quieter and better i thought.

b (just a bit of useless drivel)
+Quote Post
Seagrave
post Nov 6 2005, 01:06 AM
Post #22

Gutenfest Touring Society

Member No.: 963

Just an aside on winter warm-ups, since you're new to the NW and all, it is a risky venture to leave a car idling while you step inside to get your coffee. Local tweakers (meth addicts) cruise the neighborhoods looking for running cars with no owners. They steal the cars and use them as a cooking spot (and you don't want it back) or just for joyride and/or sale.
+Quote Post
ben1440
post Nov 6 2005, 12:40 PM
Post #23

Member No.: 3,688

Interesting about not warming it up, i didnt know that. I have been letting it warm for about 2-3 minutes in the morning and it seems to be good after that. What is strange is if I go for a drive again after its warm (just start it and go) it seems to drive like crap. I pull it out and stop, the idle goes down to about 500. Whats the deal?

--Ben
+Quote Post
bd1308
post Nov 6 2005, 12:53 PM
Post #24

Sir Post-a-lot

Member No.: 3,501

QUOTE (ben1440 @ Nov 6 2005, 12:40 PM)
Interesting about not warming it up, i didnt know that. I have been letting it warm for about 2-3 minutes in the morning and it seems to be good after that. What is strange is if I go for a drive again after its warm (just start it and go) it seems to drive like crap. I pull it out and stop, the idle goes down to about 500. Whats the deal?

--Ben

the heads cool off, so when you start it after the initial warm up (visit to store for example) the CHT reistance goes way up to around the cold spec. When you start your car, the ECU thinks the engine is cold for a couple of minutes, while the heads warm back up again (~350F).
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th June 2024 - 08:14 AM