Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

4 Pages V  1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Going to the Runoffs, Upgrading my engine (pictures)
ChrisFoley
post Aug 30 2003, 07:49 AM
Post #1

I am Tangerine Racing

Group: Members
Member No.: 209
Region Association: None

I want to make a good showing at my first SCCA National Runoffs so I decided to upgrade my backup engine. (I don't have a real race engine right now.) I'm installing my 94mm Nickies set

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
ChrisFoley
post Aug 30 2003, 07:50 AM
Post #2

I am Tangerine Racing

and the JE pistons with stock dome shape.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Tom Perso
post Aug 30 2003, 07:52 AM
Post #3

Crazy from the Cold...

Member No.: 1,003

*Drool*

Chris - I held the first EVER set of Nikkies, they went on Shad's car - I help him build his motor! They are amazing pieces of equipment. Very light!

And you do nice exhaust work too, my friend... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Later,
Tom
+Quote Post
ChrisFoley
post Aug 30 2003, 07:52 AM
Post #4

I am Tangerine Racing

I got some stainless valves and decided it was time I started learning how to port my own heads.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
ChrisFoley
post Aug 30 2003, 07:54 AM
Post #5

I am Tangerine Racing

I'm having a lot of fun doing this.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
ChrisFoley
post Aug 30 2003, 07:55 AM
Post #6

I am Tangerine Racing

It's important to know where NOT to remove material

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
ChrisFoley
post Aug 30 2003, 07:57 AM
Post #7

I am Tangerine Racing

Oops! It's a good thing I know a talented welder (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
ChrisFoley
post Aug 30 2003, 08:03 AM
Post #8

I am Tangerine Racing

QUOTE(Tom Perso @ Aug 30 2003, 09:52 AM)

And you do nice exhaust work too, my friend... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Thanks Tom. I'm looking forward to building the header for Shad's first set of Porkies heads with 2" primaries. (if he ever finishes them)
+Quote Post
Part Pricer
post Aug 30 2003, 08:11 AM
Post #9

Believe everything I post

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 35

Nice stuff!

Let's see, the Runoffs are in about two weeks at Mid-Ohio right? I'll bet there are a few club members in that area that would be willing to help you push that thing off the trailer.
+Quote Post
URY914
post Aug 30 2003, 12:56 PM
Post #10

I built the lightest 914 in the history of mankind.
****************************************************************************************************

Member No.: 222

Chris,
Tell me about your fan set up. I've read the discription on you website, but what are the advantages?
More air?
Lighter than the stock fan and housing?
Drains less HP?

What gives?

Wish I was going to the Runoffs. Good Luck!! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_flagge24.gif)

Paul
+Quote Post
ChrisFoley
post Aug 30 2003, 02:38 PM
Post #11

I am Tangerine Racing

QUOTE(URY914 @ Aug 30 2003, 02:56 PM)
Chris,
Tell me about your fan set up. I've read the discription on you website, but what are the advantages?
More air?
Lighter than the stock fan and housing?
Drains less HP?

What gives?

Wish I was going to the Runoffs. Good Luck!! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_flagge24.gif)

Paul

The Corvair fan setup wasn't my idea, but when I saw it I was immediately attracted to the design.
It is way lighter than the stock system and most of the features of the stock system are superfluous on a race car. I don't have the stock oil cooler or the heat exchangers or an alternator. I don't need to preheat the engine either.
I don't know if it actually cools better or draws less power - wish I had known Raby was doing a comparative test of cooling systems recently. I would have made an extra effort to supply him with one of my setups for his testing. I do know it works fine at keeping head temps under control, and I have won races. So it isn't drawing too much power for me at this stage.
One possible shortcoming is that it must run at 1 to 1 speed off the crankshaft, but so does the stock system.
I never liked the idea of using the modified 911 cooling setup. For one reason the alternator is the fan hub. SCCA rules require the alternator, if used, to be in the stock location. Also it draws a lot of power and pushes too much air, but not uniformly over all 4 cylinders.
If I had known about the DTM when I built my Prod car, I might have gone that route. However I really like the low profile of the flat fan, and I am reminded of 917 cooling systems with the horizontal fan. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/clap56.gif)
Thanks!
+Quote Post
redshift
post Aug 30 2003, 02:51 PM
Post #12

Bless the Hell out of you!

Member No.: 869

The more I see guys tearing their engines apart, the more I think, "Gee, I could fail at that!".

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

I like the hz cooling, do you know of anyone with it on a 914/6? I have a friend with a 935 that has it, but it's crammed in there with too much other stuff to imagine it fitting in a 914.

M
+Quote Post
J P Stein
post Aug 30 2003, 05:45 PM
Post #13

Irrelevant old fart

Member No.: 45

Good luck, Chris.
What class? gt3?4?5?
+Quote Post
URY914
post Aug 30 2003, 08:15 PM
Post #14

****************************************************************************************************

chris,
When you run without the alternater is just a matter of taking it off? There is probably 20 pounds there. Do you run a racing dry cell long life battery?

Paul
+Quote Post
ChrisFoley
post Aug 30 2003, 09:14 PM
Post #15

I am Tangerine Racing

F Production. There are 5 914s entered this year, out of about 38 cars. Three of them are from my division (Northeast).

The alternator is long gone. I don't have much wiring in the car Paul, no relay board either. The car starts with the same column mounted key switch that the car came with. I cut down the stock fuse panel to 3 fuses and mounted it in plain sight on my auxillary gauge panel. The fuel pressure and oil temp gauges are mechanical. The only significant draws on the battery are: starter, fuel pump, ignition and brake lights. I have been using a Pertronix and Bosch blue coil, but I'm switching to a Mallory Unilite with Mallory coil. I've heard that MSD type ignitions don't like running on low voltage. My voltage is typically around 11v, except right after a recharge.
The battery is a regular 914 battery (group 42?), mounted inside a marine container. I have a big grey disconnect on wires from the battery that hooks up to a connector on my charger. I usually run the charger for 15-30 min after each on-track session. I killed the battery at a PCA autocross one time with two drivers. Too many times using the starter.

I have not replaced any panels with fiberglas yet, still have the stock windshield, and will have 60 lbs of ballast on the passenger floor to meet the minimum of 2020 with driver (approx. 230lb). The car has almost perfect left to right balance now.

I've seen pics (PPBBS last year maybe) of a gear driven horizontal fan for a 6 but don't know much about them, and haven't seen one up close. I did look at the 917 fans at the first Rennsport Reunion. I think the drive shaft comes up through the center of the crankcase on them.
+Quote Post
Brad Roberts
post Aug 30 2003, 09:20 PM
Post #16

914 Freak!

Member No.: 8

Yep. We ran a FAT 911 upright setup with a gutted 911 alternator and just plug the car in between rounds to the charger. I also learned to take a jump box with me to grid so the car doesnt really use its own power to start when the 2 or 5 minute warning sounds and we need to fire it.

B
+Quote Post
URY914
post Aug 31 2003, 05:36 AM
Post #17

I've also striped all the wiring down to the minimum. And I have three fuses in a marine type fuse block. Fuel pump and gauges are all that I run, no brake lights (autox only). I still have the circuit board. If I remove the alt. I guess I could remove the circuit board, but I'd need to keep the voltage reg somehow. I plan on running a dry cell lightweight battery like this one below. I lot lighter (15 lbs) than a stock battery. I'll install some of those quick connect jumper posts like the drag race guys use if I need to start it on the grid.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
ChrisFoley
post Aug 31 2003, 07:31 AM
Post #18

I am Tangerine Racing

QUOTE(URY914 @ Aug 31 2003, 07:36 AM)
If I remove the alt. I guess I could remove the circuit board, but I'd need to keep the voltage reg somehow

The voltage regulator is useless without an alternator since the voltage will never be much above 12v and will drop a bit as the battery loses charge. The reg. won't help keep the voltage up. Just ditch the whole shebang.
Using a jump box will be very important for starting if your battery is much smaller than stock.
+Quote Post
ArtechnikA
post Aug 31 2003, 07:32 AM
Post #19

rich herzog

Member No.: 513

QUOTE(Racer Chris @ Aug 30 2003, 07:14 PM)
I've heard that MSD type ignitions don't like running on low voltage.

when my GTI's alternator failed i drove home from an autocross on just the battery - 3 hrs. used the brake as little as possible (handbrake mostly), shut down everything optional, didn't use turn signals. basically just fuel pump and ignition - i think i had enough airspeed that the rad fans didn't cycle in.

10V indicated when i got home, everything running just fine. you might be surprised...
+Quote Post
Brad Roberts
post Aug 31 2003, 11:18 AM
Post #20

914 Freak!

Member No.: 8

MSD quotes (8volts) to run their ignition.

We talk about running a battery dead...and some of the drag cars I worked on had 16 volt ignition systems and would drain the 12 volt battery in about 3 seconds when all the Nitrous solenoids and gas solenoids where activated along with a both fuel pumps. Crazy stuff running a 16 volt battery on the ignition system. We had to run a alternator.

B
+Quote Post

4 Pages V  1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 4th July 2024 - 01:30 PM