Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Porsche 944 Turbo engine?
Peedster
post Aug 30 2003, 12:26 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,088

Hey there!

This is my first post but hopefully there will be many (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

I'm planning to purchase a 914 for Porsche club racing and some street use

The thing is, I don't think that the original motor will be enough for that and buying a 914-6 is to expensive and not that easy to find here in sweden!

So, my plan is to buy a cheap running 914 and change engine to either a 3-3.2 911 or if it's possible a 944 Turbo enigne!

Do you guys think this is possible, or ever heard something like this?Will it fit, i mean if a chevy v8 fits this wouldn't be a problem!?

I've found a 914 without engine, but with cooling fan installed in the front and prepared for a watercooled engine!

I'd love to have some thoughts from you guys!

Thanks
/Peter
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
fiid
post Aug 30 2003, 12:29 PM
Post #2

Turbo Megasquirted Subaru Member

Member No.: 530
Region Association: Northern California

The 944 and 928 engines are too long to fit in a 914 without "major surgery". Lots of people put 911 motors in though, and a subaru WRX/STi motor should fit nicely if you want to go watercooled.

There is also a large body of knowledge around doing a small block chevy v8 conversion, but that might be a little costly to run with european gas prices.

Fiid.
+Quote Post
Andyrew
post Aug 30 2003, 01:05 PM
Post #3

Spooling.... Please wait

Member No.: 172

The body of my dads third 944 turbo came from a guy that was going to do that, but he mesured it and it wasnt going to work.. Persionally I would love if it could work (my dad has a spare engine in the shed) because of the amazing amount of hp easily avalible, 300+hp with just a chip and an intake.. But logic is against it.. A chevy conversion or a larger 6 conversion just makes more sense..

Welcome!
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/wavey.gif)
+Quote Post
Brad Roberts
post Aug 30 2003, 09:51 PM
Post #4

914 Freak!

Member No.: 8
Region Association: None

Welcome Peter !!! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/clap56.gif) Its great to have another 914 person from across the great pond.

I would suggest the 911 3.0-3.2 route. Much less work than installing a 944 engine (not sure anyone even makes an adapter for the engine to our tranny's... OH wait. You could run a 944 box directly behind the engine... HUM..

B
+Quote Post
Mueller
post Aug 30 2003, 10:25 PM
Post #5

914 Freak!

Member No.: 87

I'd almost be willing to bet that an Audi FWD/AWD transmission would bolt up as well.
+Quote Post
-P-
post Aug 31 2003, 01:03 AM
Post #6

P-Factor

Member No.: 873

I would really like to put my 1.8t from my jetta, or out of early b5 passat.. That engine can be had and pushing 300HP for 5 grand and be as smooth and reliable as anything.
+Quote Post
Brad Roberts
post Aug 31 2003, 12:06 PM
Post #7

914 Freak!

Member No.: 8

P.. it has been done. The guy used a complete drivetrain from a 1.8T in a 914 race car. I think it would be a smoking street car. Lightweight and cheap.

B
+Quote Post
-P-
post Aug 31 2003, 04:01 PM
Post #8

P-Factor

Member No.: 873

QUOTE(Brad Roberts @ Aug 31 2003, 12:06 PM)
P.. it has been done. The guy used a complete drivetrain from a 1.8T in a 914 race car. I think it would be a smoking street car. Lightweight and cheap.

B

There go my plans for being original. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/unsure.gif)

That would super fun.
+Quote Post
Peedster
post Sep 1 2003, 07:54 AM
Post #9

Member No.: 1,088

Thanks for the welcoming guys (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
So you mean there are more swedish freaks here? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

Thanks for the replies aswell, allthough they were not exactly what i had hoped for!

I would prefer the 951 engine mostly cause of the availiability of parts and easily tuning, but most of all the price!!

I was planning to use a complete 944 turbo drivtrain if that solves any space or convenience problems!?

Where do i have to do the "surgery" in the car if i against all odds make this thaught a project?

A subaru engine would be really cool but i guss they cost a big amount of money and there aren't that many lying around here in sweden...

In the same time i want it to be equipped with a porsche engine, but the audi 2.2 turbo drivetrain came up in a discussion. What do you think about that?

Regards
/Peter
+Quote Post
Dave_Darling
post Sep 1 2003, 02:30 PM
Post #10

914 Idiot

Member No.: 121

The only documentation that I know of is here:
http://www.d.umn.edu/~jrichar4/alien.htm

The 944 (and 951) engine is as long as the 928 one, so you'd pretty much have to do what this guy is doing. Or what I have (anecdotally) heard was done to another 914/928 hybrid, which was to stretch the car at the engine bay.

Supposedly there are at least two 914/928 hybrids in Germany somewhere. But no details on them at all.

--DD
+Quote Post
fiid
post Sep 1 2003, 02:45 PM
Post #11

Turbo Megasquirted Subaru Member

Member No.: 530

Depending on what kind of HP and reliability you want you can run pretty much any subaru motor in there - the older Subaru legacy, XT etc engines can be had for cheap almost anywhere. The 1.8 turbo engines run about 6 pounds of boost stock, but plenty of people talk about running them with up to 15 pounds. Stock they put out about 150hp, so it's enough for a fun car.

I am going with a Legacy GTB engine only because I wanted more than 200Hp.

The surgery required is pretty much making the car longer, or moving the firewall forward. The 914 doesn't have the largest passenger cabin around, so feels like a bad move to me.

I have wondered about other straight 4s, but it seems like a lot of them might be too long.

Have you thought about a motorbike engine? There are some people in the UK running Lotus 7s on like GSXR1100 engines - they put out about 135-140 hp - they can be boosted, and they are revvy as hell.

Another idea I have thought about would be a VW VR6 engine?

Porsche engines seem to all be too expensive (911) or too big (4s and 8s).

It is also possible to build a type IV up using Nickies and other trick materials to produce better HP, but honestly, everyone I have spoken to says that you lose reliability once you get over 120hp or so.

I forgot to say welcome to the group, and I hope you win in your search for the right engine!

l8r,

Fiid.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 30th June 2024 - 01:06 PM