Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> First Flight, my first time behind a 914 wheel
zeppelin71
post Sep 2 2003, 01:26 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,058

Well after a fascinating week of playing 914 archeologist (isn't it amazing what accumulates under car seats?) I finally fired up my new 914 and took her for a spin. Aside from a 5 minute test drive of a 912 ten years ago, this was the first time I had ever driven a Porsche - despite having had a 20 year 'addiction' to anything remotely related to the marque.

What can I say about the experience? Maybe something dumbass like WOW - it is exactly what I hoped for and literally dreamed it would feel like. Actually 1 little spin turned into 6 progressively more adventurous dashes away from home... gaining confidence in my 914's mechanical condition with each one. The car is a total blast! I 'only' have the 1.7 FI but I'm quite happy with the performance... in fact I was rarely all the way to the floor with the gas pedal (partly because it stayed stuck on the floor on one occasion and I hesitated a repeat of that experience). On the other hand, I was frequently near the redline - I find the raspy sound of the engine enjoyable, especially when you lay off the gas a bit and it starts to hum while it's cruising.

While the 1.7's performance was a 'relief' of sorts, what really blew me away was how quickly I had control of the steering and gearbox - for some reason it just seemed to all click. Well .... umph - (IMG:style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif) - gotta remember about reverse being where I'm accustomed to 1rst being (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

So - thank God - the car seems to be in good mechanical condition, and it continues to clean up nicely (what a drag though... how can someone let a Porsche get into such a poor cosmetic condition ???? It also seems to me 924s commonly suffer a similar fate).

Oh the high idle.... I at least 'partly' solved it by turning a screw near the airbox lol... I just wondered what it did and as I turned it the idle went down. Not sure that was healthy for the car but it seemed to be an idle adjustment. The motor runs fairly well once it has warmed up - but it backfires a lot after starting, and hesitates somewhat when going on the gas (again until I've run it for a while). Good thing the Chiltons is on its way from Pelican - along with new vacuum hoses, fuel lines, the 'restoring 914s' book and a bunch of cosmetic items.

As part of the archeology I discovered the remnants of a tool set in the rear trunk. I'm thinking it might become my first project to reassemble an authentic tool set. It also looks like part of the rear trunk's base has been replaced with new metal... but I'm not sure yet. Oh - in the front trunk there definitely was AC installed... thanks for the tip off on that guys.

Also - ATTENTION GARDENERS! I have bags of high quality top soil available for sale. YES - authentic Porsche topsoil, retrieved from inside my 914!

One question I am curious about - are there any options for a low cost repaint on a 914. I mean something that will last a few years until I figure out what (if any) long term plans I have for the car.

cheers!
Markus
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Brad Roberts
post Sep 2 2003, 01:30 AM
Post #2

914 Freak!

Member No.: 8
Region Association: None

Congrats Markus (IMG:style_emoticons/default/clap56.gif)

I get to drive 914's every day if I so choose.. I still get a giddy feeling when I take the first corner with the tires squeeling.

Glad to here you enjoyed a positive experience.

B
+Quote Post
zeppelin71
post Sep 2 2003, 01:39 AM
Post #3

Heh, can I see your driver's license?

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Bleyseng
post Sep 2 2003, 06:16 AM
Post #4

Aircooled Baby!

Member No.: 24
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Great story!
The engine probably has a few vacuum leaks so the new hoses should help. Install new FI fuel lines as the old ones crack spraying gas everywhere.
Look for a VW tool kit as they where the same ones used in the 914.

Geoff
+Quote Post
GWN7
post Sep 2 2003, 06:35 AM
Post #5

King of Road Trips

Member No.: 56
Region Association: Northstar Region

Nice story. Reminds me of my first time in a 914.

There is no such thing as a low cost paint job. Unless you know how to do body work and have access to a paint booth. Your car looks good. Just drive it till you can afford to get it painted the way you want.
+Quote Post
Bruce Allert
post Sep 2 2003, 07:20 AM
Post #6

Hellions asleep

Member No.: 441

QUOTE(Brad Roberts @ Sep 2 2003, 12:30 AM)
Congrats Markus (IMG:style_emoticons/default/clap56.gif)

I get to drive 914's every day if I so choose.. I still get a giddy feeling when I take the first corner with the tires squeeling.

Glad to here you enjoyed a positive experience.

B

Ah, yes... yer story does bring back the memory of my first time driving a teener. Good job Marcus (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer.gif)

Brad... tires squeeling??? You do that too? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/ohmy.gif)
My vision of you has just turned a 180 (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif) (ya right)
Squeel em when ya can (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

bruce
+Quote Post
zeppelin71
post Sep 2 2003, 07:46 AM
Post #7

Heh GWN7, my sister-in-law is from "Winterpeg" as well! We're originally from west of you (Saskatoon).

Believe me, the paint does not look good in-the-flesh... just in pictures (including ebay pictures unfortunately).

cheers,
Markus
+Quote Post
914werke
post Sep 2 2003, 09:34 AM
Post #8

"I got blisters on me fingers"

Member No.: 453

Welcome and thanks the the trip down memory lane. One consideration though, before you start Hmm'ing over paint ..chk out the car for the dreaded RED PLAUGE and if found (you will (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif) ) address that first (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wavey.gif)
+Quote Post
zeppelin71
post Sep 2 2003, 09:55 AM
Post #9

re: "the red plague"....

yah exactly, but I can't afford the money or time at the moment to strip the car and have it completely restored (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif) that's why I'm wondering about an intermediate step, something that will tide over the presentability of the car for maybe 3 or 4 years while I learn more about it (not to mention save some cash).

For the most part I don't think rust is too bad... of course I'm the type that - on spotting some rust - hold my breathe and push it as hard as possible to see if my finger or fist falls completely through the metal (or the car collapses in half). Perhaps not the wisest of moves, but so far it's all been good! The wheel wells look very sound, the jack mount areas have some rust, but are not crumbling or unstable. Floorboards look very good - very solid... underneath the car looks good as well. I think I mentioned I suspect part of the metal floor in the rear trunk has been replaced though, and I'm not sure if the battery tray is stock or not.... it is rusty, but solid (I sprayed some rust paint over it on the weekend). In short, wrt rust there doesn't seem to be any imminent threat of collapse. It's not a 'flintstones' car, like my first car (74 Datsun) was.

I'm wondering also if this car wasn't given a 'spray paint' job.... it is that poor, and also on a hunch I picked up a bottle of "off-white" touch-up paint from Walmart (yes - Walmart, the place for all your Porsche needs lol).... yup pretty much a dead-on match, and it's available in spray can too. What makes me think it was a spray-can job? Not too sure, but for example the luggage rack has considerably less paint underneath it - at exactly the points where the rack bars are. Good grief!

No oil leaking from the engine though, and NO SMOKE! The car may be worthy of an all out restoration, if funds ever became available for that. Another thing I like about the 914, it seems whenever I find an extra $20 lying around we be able to fix SOMETHING on the car... the ~24 pages of 914 parts auctions on ebay motors is pretty exciting to page through.

cheers,
Markus
+Quote Post
zeppelin71
post Sep 2 2003, 10:29 AM
Post #10

Anyone familiar with this magazine article?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...item=2430622138

How did the 914 fair? I'd be interested in purchasing it, too bad they removed it from the original magazine (whatever that was... Car and Driver???)

cheers,
Markus
+Quote Post
Bleyseng
post Sep 2 2003, 11:11 AM
Post #11

Aircooled Baby!

Member No.: 24

I'd say the 914 beat out the Fiat X19 and that about it. I saw that when it came out years ago.
Geoff
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 30th June 2024 - 12:31 PM