Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Advice Needed, New Project / Money Pit
supernova
post Sep 3 2003, 07:46 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,099

Hi All,

Once upon a time I owned a 1.8 914 and did I love that car. Been watching the forum for a while and I'm in need of some advice as I'm looking for a new project to fill my side of the garage.

So consider the following stupid questions but I wanna make sure a 914 would work and if nothing else you folks could consider this an exercise in brain muscles.

What I'm wanting is a two seat, nimble sports car to use for open road rallies and to use as an occasional daily driver aka:street legal. For ORR I'm wanting to run in the unlimited class and so I need the car to move along at 180mph +.

Now I know I could do this with a vette or something similar but that seems boring as I want something unique.

So, would it be possible/realistic to take a 914 - stiffen the chass., upgrade the suspension, big brakes, roll cage, 915 tranny, 600hp 350 chebby?

I'm looking to leave it stock looking on the outside short of larger flares for decent size tires and I'm thinking 600hp would push the thing as needed. I've no idea what kinda gearing would be required short of the heavier tranny and or if what I'm wanting is realistic.

So I (IMG:style_emoticons/default/pray.gif) to the 914 gurus and look forward to your advice and yes, I understand this will be a money pit, but hopefully it'll make the navigator (my wife) scream (IMG:style_emoticons/default/mueba.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
KaptKaos
post Sep 3 2003, 10:06 AM
Post #2

Family

Member No.: 607
Region Association: Upper MidWest

There are cheaper ways to make your wife scream.
+Quote Post
seanery
post Sep 3 2003, 10:24 AM
Post #3

waiting to rebuild whitey!

Group: Retired Admin
Member No.: 100
Region Association: None

I don't think there is any way you will be able to get it to 180 mph.
+Quote Post
Jeffs9146
post Sep 3 2003, 10:29 AM
Post #4

Ski Bum

Member No.: 128

Plan on using both sides of the garage!! There is no way you are going to do all of that in an 11'x20' space!! I agree, 180+ is a longgggggggg stretch!

Jeff
+Quote Post
Charles Deutsch
post Sep 3 2003, 10:38 AM
Post #5

Unregistered

I wonder how much lift a 914 body would produce at 180 mph? I would not want to try it!
+Quote Post
seanery
post Sep 3 2003, 10:41 AM
Post #6

waiting to rebuild whitey!

Group: Retired Admin
Member No.: 100

a big wing will be a necessity, as well as a front spoiler.
+Quote Post
supernova
post Sep 3 2003, 11:11 AM
Post #7

QUOTE(Jeffs74~914 @ Sep 3 2003, 08:29 AM)
Plan on using both sides of the garage!! There is no way you are going to do all of that in an 11'x20' space!! I agree, 180+ is a longgggggggg stretch!

Jeff

OK...so what wouldn't be a stretch?

I can envision the thing going end over end like a speedboat but this is why I'm asking. A guy I once new had a vette, it was able to run at 170+, now I understand the extra weight with the engine up front but enquiring minds wanna know.

So the question becomes what are the technical limitations and what does one think they 'could' get outta of it if you had proper hp/gearing. Would there be any susp. issues?

The garage should have plenty of room, it's 17.5'x50 and I can use a good 15' of the wifes side as needed. More if I can tarp the kids bikes outside (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)
+Quote Post
Dave_Darling
post Sep 3 2003, 11:12 AM
Post #8

914 Idiot

Member No.: 121
Region Association: Northern California

The only way I know of to get 600 HP into a 914 without spending $50K on the motor alone is with a monstrous built-up Chevy V8.

http://www.v8914.com

Gonna need a lot of work to keep it stable at anything over 130 MPH. Gonna need one hell of a transmission to cope with all the torque. (930 box at a minimum.)

Good luck, and make sure your life insurance is paid up.

--DD
+Quote Post
supernova
post Sep 3 2003, 11:39 AM
Post #9

QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Sep 3 2003, 09:12 AM)
The only way I know of to get 600 HP into a 914 without spending $50K on the motor alone is with a monstrous built-up Chevy V8.

http://www.v8914.com

Gonna need a lot of work to keep it stable at anything over 130 MPH. Gonna need one hell of a transmission to cope with all the torque. (930 box at a minimum.)

Good luck, and make sure your life insurance is paid up.

--DD

Yes, I'm thinking chevy:

383 Stroker
ATI Procharger

This should let it run on pump gas and come in around 600hp. Rough calculations is it'll cost around 12k, not including mounts, hoses, and other misc.

And yes, I'm thinking 930 Tranny which if I remember right should handle 900hp.

Now you're giving me a number to work with 130mph. I'm not trying to be an (IMG:style_emoticons/default/bootyshake.gif) I'm gonna put a project in the garage I just don't know enough about the 914 technically to know if what I'm asking is possible and that's why I'm asking.

The next question would then be is/are there any aerodynamic packages that would keep it on earth that would work in this application that keep it street legal? I'm looking for off the shelf solution. Major design isn't my game, but sweats free.

Thanks for the input folks.
+Quote Post
Brad Roberts
post Sep 3 2003, 11:54 AM
Post #10

914 Freak!

Member No.: 8

A 914 will do 180mph. It does require a 930 box and 24 inch tall tires (pretty standard) and a SBC that will turn 7500 (pretty easy) and make 550 hp (pretty easy with a single Turbo).

Bring cash. I'm helping to build one right now.

I don find your attempt far fetched at all. I have been over 175mph in a mild 350hp V8 converted 76 930 (On Hwy 20 thru Arlington).

Oh.. forget the 383... you need to step up like a 427 or 434 SBC.

B
+Quote Post
Brad Roberts
post Sep 3 2003, 11:59 AM
Post #11

914 Freak!

Keep the car semi narrow (meaning dont run a IMSA flare kit). Use stock 9146 GT flares (fiberglass). The wider you go the more HP you will need to push the brick thru the wind.

Our biggest problem is with the rear end lifting. The front stay's planted with a small splitter on a nice fiberglass air dam. The rear will require something more drastic for prolonged periods above 150 mph.

B
+Quote Post
Brad Roberts
post Sep 3 2003, 12:03 PM
Post #12

914 Freak!

Oh.. forget the procharger unless you want it sitting in the passenger compartment with you. You can just about rule out ANY belt driven supercharger (I have about 8 years of assembling and breaking V8 914's) You have NO room to mount anything...and No one supplies a belt setup that will handle the drag put onto the system. A few months back.. I helped develop one of the first serpentine belt system's I have seen on a V8 914. No way could I make it have a enought tension to turn a belt driven blower.

B
+Quote Post
supernova
post Sep 3 2003, 12:42 PM
Post #13

QUOTE(Brad Roberts @ Sep 3 2003, 09:54 AM)
A 914 will do 180mph. It does require a 930 box and 24 inch tall tires (pretty standard) and a SBC that will turn 7500 (pretty easy) and make 550 hp (pretty easy with a single Turbo).

Bring cash. I'm helping to build one right now.

I don find your attempt far fetched at all. I have been over 175mph in a mild 350hp V8 converted 76 930 (On Hwy 20 thru Arlington).

Oh.. forget the 383... you need to step up like a 427 or 434 SBC.

B

Thank you Brad! I'm already ready to buy you a (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

From the way I'm reading your message I probably wouldn't even need to run that much HP to attain the desired speed then? I guestimated I would need 600hp to achieve the speed desired.

On the example you gave regarding the "350hp V8 converted 76 930" what kind of gearing was required and do you know what a 930 like that would run in costs?

I've started a rough cost sheet in my head and from what I've been able to figure I should be able to get a 930 w/LSD for around $5K Does that sound about right to you?

Guess I just wanted a sanity check on if this would even reasonably work...speed/car and now I'm getting psych'd.

Thanks again and any extra details you might have I'm all eyes.
+Quote Post
Brad Roberts
post Sep 3 2003, 12:49 PM
Post #14

914 Freak!

A 930 box with stock ratios will work fine. I pay 800$ for used boxes and then spend another 1000/1500 buying a used or new LSD. Flipping the ring gear for mid engine use... is difficult and time consuming (not something you can do at home). I just did one back in June. It runs about 6500$ total for a turn key 930 box setup for a 914. This doesnt include a clutch/adapter plate/pressure plate. I feel the 930 box is the ONLY way to go. Its a lot of work.. but the ratios are perfect. It will feel like a 67 Muncie 4 speed Camaro.

Oh... I know where a pristeen 78 red 930 with AC is located in Texas for around 15k. Its a PERFECT START for something like this... piss on the 914... look good doing it in a 930. Sell the turbo engine and buy the kits.

B
+Quote Post
kdfoust
post Sep 3 2003, 01:00 PM
Post #15

Member No.: 71
Region Association: Southern California

I've got similar interests and I've nixed the 914 as the platform for the job. It's a fun car but nothing I'd want to try going 130+ in.

I know it's boring, but, I've decided on a crate motored Z28 for the job.

Good luck,
Kevin
+Quote Post
supernova
post Sep 3 2003, 01:02 PM
Post #16

Hmmmm, I hadn't considered this. What does that average 930 turbo engine sell for? Not an impulse buyer but this is something I may need to consider.

My wife isn't even here and I feel the evil stare (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)
+Quote Post
Brad Roberts
post Sep 3 2003, 01:07 PM
Post #17

914 Freak!

Ha ha.. COOL Kevin. I had NO idea you where thinking about this direction. The GM crate engines are the only way to fly (with warranty). The 930 I mentioned above that went 175+ had a Summit crate engine in it.

The turbo engine is the reason the car is priced low. It runs perfect but has an oil leak do to a cracked/repaired improperly engine case. It would sell for 4-5k.

Oh.. it has a sunroof also.

B
+Quote Post
Brad Roberts
post Sep 3 2003, 01:17 PM
Post #18

914 Freak!

Here you go....

Knew I had pics of it somewhere. Low mileage example.

B
+Quote Post
Brad Roberts
post Sep 3 2003, 01:18 PM
Post #19

914 Freak!

dfgsdfg
+Quote Post
Brad Roberts
post Sep 3 2003, 01:18 PM
Post #20

914 Freak!

werawe
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 2nd July 2024 - 10:13 AM