Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Renting a Sandblaster
Britain Smith
post Sep 3 2003, 11:13 AM
Post #1

Nano Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 364

Does anyone know if it is possible to rent a sandblaster? If so, where? I am in the Santa Clara, CA area and only need one for a little while. I have an air compressor to run it. Anyone have one that I can borrow?

-Britain
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Rusty
post Sep 3 2003, 11:14 AM
Post #2

Wanted: Engine case GA003709

Group: Admin
Member No.: 6
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

I dunno how much blasting you have to do.. but you can go to Sears and buy a small one.
+Quote Post
Randal
post Sep 3 2003, 12:13 PM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 750

I do. It needs a good compressor (5 or 6 cfm at 100PSI) to work, but it does work. You'll need to find a place where you can plastic sheet off everything around your working area as they tend to be very messy.

I live in Los Altos.
+Quote Post
Brad Roberts
post Sep 3 2003, 12:17 PM
Post #4

914 Freak!

Member No.: 8
Region Association: None

Your are opening up the biggest can of worms in the world. I promise you dont have a compressor "bad" enough to handle the job your trying to tackle. I also suggest you find a place away from the house to do this..everything (including the neighbors) will be covered in a fine lair of dust (even with the plastic).

B
+Quote Post
Britain Smith
post Sep 3 2003, 12:38 PM
Post #5

Nano Member

We have a 50 gallon compressor, would that work? I am just looking for a way to assist in the removal of the underbody coating and some of the suspension pieces. The hand grinder method is going to take a while.

-Britain
+Quote Post
Brad Roberts
post Sep 3 2003, 12:41 PM
Post #6

914 Freak!

Its not the size of the tank... its the pump head and motor pushing it. You can have a 150 gallon tank.. the pump still has to keep up.

Boy..what a mess. I have no idea. You can try Randals setup (I have a siphon feed gun) but if the compressor runs and runs and runs... your going to piss off the neighbors and burn up the compressor (ask me how I know).

B
+Quote Post
tdgray
post Sep 3 2003, 12:47 PM
Post #7

Thank God Nemo is not here to see this

Member No.: 984

Brad is right (wow how many times is that phrase uttered here) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif) . You have to have an industrial grade compressor to operate a sandblaster efficiently. They do make spot blasters that can operate on smaller volumes of air but they don't work well and don't hold a great amount of media. Look kinda like a paint gun or a wagner power painter.

Sandblasting won't work very well with what you are trying to do. They are good for stripping paint and rust but that is about all. I think you will just end up with a sandy-gooey mess. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)

Oh yea if that wasn't all you were going to do with it and are going to get a blaster anyway. Get the smallest one possible and do not get just regular silica sand, get a product called Black Beauty. It has extra goodies in it that work much better than plain silica.

Just my .02

Todd

1960 MGA
1973 914 1.7L
+Quote Post
Brad Roberts
post Sep 3 2003, 12:50 PM
Post #8

914 Freak!

hey.. I was WRONG in another post this morning...LOL

B
+Quote Post
bmendel
post Sep 3 2003, 12:59 PM
Post #9

Member No.: 877

Agreed, I have the biggest compressor you can get at sears, 175 PSI 9-10 CFM 6ft tall beast and it is barely adequate for media blasting small parts. Cleaning one head takes a good 10 minutes and recharges the compressor 2 - 3 times (using walnut shells, I was told beads were not so good for them).

By the way, what did you do with your 912 engine you're replacing with the 2.3?
+Quote Post
Britain Smith
post Sep 3 2003, 02:31 PM
Post #10

Nano Member

I am going to be selling the original 912 engine. It is really nice, but unfortunately it is not running well. I plan to tear it down and figure out what is wrong, then sell it. I beleive that the head gasket is blown or a warped head. I have attached a pic to look at?

(IMG:http://www.britainsmith.com/Porsche/My912/images/Engine02a_JPG.jpg)

(IMG:http://www.britainsmith.com/Porsche/My912/images/Engine03a_JPG.jpg)
+Quote Post
Mueller
post Sep 3 2003, 02:51 PM
Post #11

914 Freak!

Member No.: 87

Britain,

If you can wait a few weeks for me to get back into town, my compressor here at work has no problem with supplying the needed amount of air. (7.5hp Rotary compressor with 100gallon tank)

Our loading dock in the rear of the building would be perfect for something like this.

Like said earlier, removing undercoating with the sandblaster is not the most effective method. The media sorta bounces right off the undercoating. For my suspension parts, I've started to remove the undercoating before I sandblast the parts for paint removal.
+Quote Post
Brad Roberts
post Sep 3 2003, 02:53 PM
Post #12

914 Freak!

His problem is getting the car ANYWHERE. He doesnt have a truck and trailer.

B
+Quote Post
Britain Smith
post Sep 3 2003, 02:59 PM
Post #13

Nano Member

I am just going to suffer with the manual method of removal. It will be a test of my strenght and determination...or something like that.

-Britain
+Quote Post
Slowpoke
post Sep 3 2003, 05:21 PM
Post #14

Member No.: 768

You can sand blast your car to remove the undercoat ( I wouldn't do it) , but as stated it is not very efficent. The the more damanging result from sand blasting is you will warp the sheet metal panels. I have been really careful and I have done that a couple of times. My body man, (70 year old guy with numerous cars that made Popular Hot Rodding in the day) that fixes my mistakes, using all the tricks he has learnt in the last 50 years, really gets upset trying to get out the oil canning and the crown back into the panels. I avoid it like the plague now. I don't remove good undercoat, so I don't have a good method to do it. But, fixing heat warp panels is much harder that scraping off undercoat. I don't mind sandblasting an area I'm going to be welding on anyway. But, I wouldn't touch a good panel with a sand blaster. That's what they make dry stripping shops for. when you need it.
Peter
+Quote Post
Randal
post Sep 4 2003, 09:43 AM
Post #15

Advanced Member

Member No.: 750

I wonder if one of those powerful (3000 psi or higher) powerwashers would work? My little 1800 psi washer will just about bore a hole in anything.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 2nd July 2024 - 10:51 AM