Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V < 1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Finally, pics of a 914 newer than mine!
meursault
post Sep 4 2003, 09:44 PM
Post #21

Idjit Savant

Group: Members
Member No.: 355

All 76 cars came with the Euro lens front and rear to meet the new US requirements.
Thats how you can spot a 76 vs a 75 from a distance unless the 75 car has installed them.

That's the craziest thing I ever heard. So far as I know, U.S. cars still require amber reflectors in the front, red in the rear.

Best way I know of to distinguish a 76 from a 75 is to look for the 914 emblem. '76 had a decal for "914 2.0" while '75 still had the plastic emblem.

Both my current '76, vin#4762901738 and my previous one, built in 11/75, had U.S. lenses all around and vinyl on the rollbar. Course I removed the vinyl on the old one 'cause I didn't like the look then. The "appearance package" supposedly became standard equipment in '74.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Bleyseng
post Sep 4 2003, 10:06 PM
Post #22

Aircooled Baby!

Member No.: 24
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Ok,ok, I must be wrong. But why do ALL the effin car and trucks nowdays have the amber turn signals in the rear? I remember that started in about 76 for most cars. Yeah, I even remember the white front turn signals of the pre-63 US cars. My dad went out and got some amber lens paint so his 61 Belair wouldn't be old fashion.
Geoff
+Quote Post
Mike D.
post Sep 4 2003, 10:07 PM
Post #23

OK, It runs now, and pretty good too!

Member No.: 85
Region Association: None

I had '76 #3612. metalic blue, Vinyl roll bars, ac, blue plaid seats. Stock U.S. lenses, stock steering wheel, no fogs, no sways, no center console, no rear defrost.

Also, several years ago when I used to find them in the bone yard regularly, I started popping the window seal vin plates off of them. I have about 15 of them in a ceramic skull on my model shelf. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif) It used to creep out my old room mate. (the skull and an exact model of my car together)

-Mike D.
+Quote Post
JeffBowlsby
post Sep 4 2003, 10:29 PM
Post #24

914 Wiring Harnesses

Member No.: 104

Hey Geoff, if you didnt know already,

Your car was the 4th chassis which began assembly on Thursday of the 50th week of 1975, from the code on your chassis plate. They only took about 3 days to build each car.

Given your late VIN and the chassis date, my guess is that all 914s were done fabrication by the end of 1975, meaning that no 914s were actually built in calendar year 1976.

The one you drove in late 1976 still on the dealers lot musta been on 'end of the year clearance'...

We like you G...dont pay attention to the GRIEF these guys are passing around. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/cool.gif)
+Quote Post
MarkV
post Sep 4 2003, 10:33 PM
Post #25

Fear the Jack Stands

Member No.: 154

QUOTE(Bleyseng @ Sep 4 2003, 08:06 PM)
Ok,ok, I must be wrong. But why do ALL the effin car and trucks nowdays have the amber turn signals in the rear? I remember that started in about 76 for most cars. Yeah, I even remember the white front turn signals of the pre-63 US cars. My dad went out and got some amber lens paint so his 61 Belair wouldn't be old fashion.
Geoff

I think plenty of cars use front white/clear lenses but they use amber bulbs.
+Quote Post
meursault
post Sep 4 2003, 10:35 PM
Post #26

Idjit Savant

Member No.: 355

Ok,ok, I must be wrong. But why do ALL the effin car and trucks nowdays have the amber turn signals in the rear? I remember that started in about 76 for most cars.

Rear turn signals these days are often amber, but you'll still find side markers in red. For example, my '86 325 has amber turnsignals but still has red lights for the side imbedded in the rear bumper bellows.

Sorry to give you a hard time.
+Quote Post
Bleyseng
post Sep 4 2003, 10:40 PM
Post #27

Aircooled Baby!

I have heard that all the 76 tubs were built in 75 so Karmann could start building the water cooled VW's. Thats why the weird number of cars built as they was all they could build out of the available stampings. Remember, VW killed the car not Porsche as it was a decent seller for them in a tough market at that time (High German mark and falling US dollar).

I don't think that 914 I drove was "dealer clearanced" as it was expensive and there was several others on the lot. I just drove the orange one with the funky pinstripes. I can't remember if it had the amber tail lens though. Shoot, that was a loong time ago!

Spent time tonight cleaning the old glue off the firewall from the sound pad. I have seen some pads held on with those clips and no glue, others with glue and clips. So what is the correct way the pad was held on?? (I am not putting it back on)
Geoff
+Quote Post
Eric Taylor
post Sep 4 2003, 10:47 PM
Post #28

Member No.: 770

QUOTE(bowlsby @ Sep 4 2003, 09:29 PM)
Hey Geoff, if you didnt know already,

Your car was the 4th chassis which began assembly on Thursday of the 50th week of 1975, from the code on your chassis plate. They only took about 3 days to build each car.

Given your late VIN and the chassis date, my guess is that all 914s were done fabrication by the end of 1975, meaning that no 914s were actually built in calendar year 1976.

The one you drove in late 1976 still on the dealers lot musta been on 'end of the year clearance'...

We like you G...dont pay attention to the GRIEF these guys are passing around. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/cool.gif)

bowlsby - Can you do my vin too? That's some way cool info!
Vin #
Build Date
10/71
Chassis #
+Quote Post
Bleyseng
post Sep 4 2003, 10:51 PM
Post #29

Aircooled Baby!

I don't mind the grief, atleast I remember what these cars were like when new! It was a big deal to see a 914/6 in 1970 as they were rare then. Tons of 914's drove around Seattle in the 70's.

Geoff
+Quote Post
JeffBowlsby
post Sep 4 2003, 11:05 PM
Post #30

914 Wiring Harnesses

Sho nuff Eric...lemme look back into the future...

Your chassis number is : 4329510

So it was the 10th chassis which begun production on the Tuesday of the 43rd week of 1972.

From my LE website is the decoding procedure:

"Chassis Plate data: Chassis Production Number and Paint Code: The chassis production number is found in two places, on the chassis plate attached to the front drivers door jamb and also stamped into the right rear trunk floor. The chassis production number is actually a code telling us the consecutive number of the particular chassis, and the date production was initiated on that particular chassis. The chassis production number decodement is:

WW-D-9-5XX Where:

WW = the week of a given calendar year

D = the day of the week of the calendar year (Monday =1)

9 = the code for the Karmann Factory at Osnabrueck where all 914 chassis were fabricated

5XX = the consecutive chassis number, beginning with number 500 each day for 1974 Porsche 914 cars

The chassis date on the 914 chassis plate, reflects the date production began on each chassis, by calendar week of the given year, and the specific day of that calendar week. The chassis dates from the 914 LE cars on the current 914 LE Registry, from the earliest to the latest known dates, indicate that the 914 Porsche LE cars began production between the 7th and 14th weeks of 1974, a mere seven week period, between mid-February and early April of 1974.

There is no direct correlation between the 914 chassis date and its VIN number. Certain chassis with higher VINs, began production before other chassis with lower VINs. Chassis and drivetrain components were not always combined in the numerical order in which they were originally produced. Earlier numbered engines and transaxles were installed into later numbered chassis and vice-versa."
+Quote Post
EdwardBlume
post Sep 4 2003, 11:13 PM
Post #31

914 Wizard

Member No.: 81
Region Association: Central California

Cool info Bowlsby. This kind of detail is precisely why I want you to watch over my restoration on my Dad's car.

THANKS!
+Quote Post
rhodyguy
post Sep 5 2003, 05:05 AM
Post #32

Chimp Sanctuary NW. Check it out.

Member No.: 378
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

geoff, you going to paint the engine compartment orange or primer gray to match the rear fenders? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif) as busy as you are right now and back burnering the car might as well take the header to performance coatings.

kevin
+Quote Post
Curvie Roadlover
post Sep 5 2003, 05:21 AM
Post #33

Two trunks are better than one!

Member No.: 42

Jeff, What about this# from my '76: Chassi # 5019049 built 12/75. VIN 4762903604. Would it have been built the 50th week of '75? If so, and if they shut down for Christmas, then my car must have been VERY near the end of production. Do you know the last date of production?
+Quote Post
FlatSix
post Sep 5 2003, 06:09 AM
Post #34

English Member

Member No.: 144

Although it is well documented that 4075 was the 'last' 914 built, I have seen 4085!

I believe the guy who had it is a member here.

Do you want to play (no prizes) or shall I tell you? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)
+Quote Post
Bleyseng
post Sep 5 2003, 09:11 AM
Post #35

Aircooled Baby!

The chassis were probably all made before the factory closed for Christmas.

Geoff

OK, Kevin how much does it cost as I am painting the engine compartment this weekend. The engine is done, now to tackle the tranny switching back 5th gear to the ZD gear set as its a flipped 3rd gear which is too funky for me on the freeway-60mph @ 4000rpm.
+Quote Post
JeffBowlsby
post Sep 5 2003, 09:15 AM
Post #36

914 Wiring Harnesses

Hey Jack...

Chassis 5019049 began production Monday of the 50th week of 1975.

It was the 49th chassis begun that day.

BTW...The COA for my Bumblebee indicates the date that the chassis was completed, which for that car was 3 days after it began production. The car also has a rear door jamb sticker with a month/year date for the month FOLLOWING the production date on the chassis plate. I can only speculate that the chassis was produced and the chassis number stamped into the trunk and on chassis plate. Then the car sat around for a few days before they assigned and attached the VIN IDs. That period of time between completion of a chassis and assignment of the chassis number is the variable that assures there is no sequential relationship between the two numbers.

Get a COA for your car if you are curious what those dates are and for the other information the factory had about it. I have several COAs on my collectibles website at the link below if you want to peruse them. I would like to include more COAs if anyone will post theirs. Compare them to each other, its very enlightening.
+Quote Post
914werke
post Sep 5 2003, 09:54 AM
Post #37

"I got blisters on me fingers"

Member No.: 453

So Jeff is the COA the only way to get the detail on how a particular car was ACTUALLY equipped when it rolled out the doors? POA wants $150 (+/-) for that info (IMG:style_emoticons/default/mad.gif)
+Quote Post
JeffBowlsby
post Sep 5 2003, 10:19 AM
Post #38

914 Wiring Harnesses

Yes. The COA reflects data on the Cardex, the factory build sheet. They are a little over $100 the last I checked.

Go here:

http://www.pca.org/members/library/Cert_of...Authen_Form.pdf
+Quote Post
Neal
post Sep 13 2003, 09:59 PM
Post #39

Member No.: 605

My VIN # is 4762901526 10/75
Car was purchased at Bellevue Porsche-Audi for $7200.00
I will bring the invoice to the breakfast tommrrow
Neal
+Quote Post
JeffBowlsby
post Sep 13 2003, 10:02 PM
Post #40

914 Wiring Harnesses

Cool. Can you post a photo of the invoice here too?
+Quote Post

3 Pages V < 1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 5th October 2024 - 01:46 PM