Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> OT: The new "tuner" law, Anyone know any details on this? Cops..
Andyrew
post Feb 16 2006, 02:30 AM
Post #1

Spooling.... Please wait

Group: Members
Member No.: 172
Region Association: Northern California

My dad and i are leary of this new law that allows the cops to pull over any car that is "modified".

Does anyone know any details? or can someone post the actual law?

My dad thinks they can impound my car and crush it and i'll never get it back...

This is on the basis that they pull me over for no apparent reason.

ALSO, knowing that I will never street race, what if they catch me get on it a little, or throw some tire smoke..

Anyways, Im 19, and here are some obvious facts about my car (and soon to be car)

It will have subtle flares, but it will have 18x10's on the back with a lot of rubber.
Brakes look stock, fronts are painted red.
Fiberglass front and rear bumpers w/ (soon to be) lexan rear spoiler
Lights are stock
Front trunk has louvers, not entirely noticable, in body paint color.
Body is factory phoenix red (orange)
Mirrors un decided, but will have left and right.
License plate on both front and rear bumper.
Engine lid stock, can see chrome air filter cover (will paint) obvious sbc
Exhaust is dual, side exit w/ 2 mufflers, should be relatively quiet under normal driving.
Racing seats
Racing harness's
momo wheel, factory guages
Small tubes no higher than stomach (while sitting down) for long to door pillar bracing (follows seat lines)
Black carpet

Thats about all they can see..
Car is a 73, does not need smog...

What can they do to me?

Andrew
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
4 Pages V « < 2 3 4  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies(60 - 69)
reddog
post Feb 22 2006, 11:59 PM
Post #61

Member No.: 5,299

Thank you (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/ohmy.gif)
+Quote Post
dan10101
post Feb 23 2006, 12:23 AM
Post #62

TORQUE-o-holic

Member No.: 626
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

a couple lines from the article.

-----------------------

"Under California law, officers can stop and inspect a vehicle if they reasonably suspect that the engine has illegal modifications.

Frost spent one recent afternoon patrolling the streets of Carmichael and North Highlands looking for the signs of street racing: a chassis that scrapes the ground, the throaty whirr of a wide exhaust pipe, and racing stickers on the windows.

At a stop on Watt Avenue, Frost asked for more than license, registration and proof of insurance. Like the other 130 officers trained by the Drag-Net program, Frost wanted to get a look under the hood.

He said the 1997 Acura Integra had an illegal air filter, its suspension was too low, and its exhaust system made too much noise. The car's registered owner, who was not present during the stop, will have to keep the car off the street until the state Bureau of Automotive Repairs certifies that the illegal parts have been removed.

Replacing a typical package of illegal modifications and reinstalling stock parts costs an estimated $2,500. "

----------------------

Does anyone know which law he is referring to?
Also, can they force you to open your hood without a search warrant? Not that you'd want to resist in that kind of a situation.

I'll be making some changes to my track car that is street driven. Remove the cold air intake do some stealth modificaitons that will help diswade the casual observer. Though it's not illegal to have a cold air on my car, it doesn't have a thermal switch in the box. I may even have to put the front liscense plate back on. I've never had it on either of the 944's.

+Quote Post
Dr Evil
post Feb 23 2006, 08:28 AM
Post #63

Send me your transmission!

Member No.: 1,372
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Dan,
Do whatyou will, but I would highly doubt that the 130 officers were trained in recognizing what is and isn't supposed to be on a 30yr old sports car form Europe (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/wink.gif)

"Like the other 130 officers trained by the Drag-Net program"

I would love to see that training, "Make sure the charcoal canister is installed in front." (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/rolleyes.gif)

This is harrasment and eventually will be over turned I bet. Just having your car modified is no gaurantee of street racing. All of my friends had such things and none of them raced on the street.

I bet the industry that makes all of those parts is already lobbying to have laws like this thrown out.

As for the front plates, they are required for CA cars and are completely up tothe officers discretion as to whether to harrass you or not about it.

It could be worse:
Here in my new home of PA you have to have your car mechanically inspected bya mechanic every year. the problem is that the mechanic that is inspecting your car has a vested interest in your car not passing. In plain english, they lie to fail your car and charge you $300 for a ball joint that didn't need replacing. In my class there area at least 90 out of state folks and every single one had bad ball joints on their cars. Funny thing is that the oldest one was a 2002, and when I challenged the mechanic on one of their bad ball joint claims, they started to back pedal.

CA used to be like that with the smog thing before the test only thing came to be.

Trying to register a new car in CA that has been modified like the street racers cars has some chance of failure. Trying to register a 30yr old German sports car with all kinds of mods is easy as they have no clue (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/wink.gif)
+Quote Post
Cap'n Krusty
post Feb 23 2006, 08:47 AM
Post #64

Cap'n Krusty

Member No.: 2,246
Region Association: Central California

QUOTE (lapuwali @ Feb 22 2006, 08:59 PM)

The 914 used a catalytic convertor. All CA model '75 and '76 914s have them. The CA-model 912E also used a thermal reactor.

"Also" could be a misleading term here. The 912e used thermal reactors INSTEAD of a catalyst. 911s of the same era also used a TR, not a cat. The Cap'n
+Quote Post
rick 918-S
post Feb 23 2006, 09:07 AM
Post #65

Hey nice rack! -Celette

Member No.: 43
Region Association: Northstar Region

I'd challange that. Freedom of expression, probable cause, lots of reasons to question the man.

I drove a 650HP Big Block 66 Chevelle everyday in the summer as my daily car. Gutted interior, 6 point cage, no hood, loud exhaust, dropped onto the bump stops in the front, arrest me Red, etc. I was pulled over and harrassed, but never ticketed. I didn't street race.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
lagunero
post Feb 23 2006, 10:39 AM
Post #66

Donkey Member

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 1,531

yea Rick but when and where? The new"tuner law" sounds like it's more for stopping kids like Andrew than stopping an adult.

Stickers on the window? Well I'm taking the 914club sticker off right now!
+Quote Post
MattR
post Feb 23 2006, 11:23 AM
Post #67

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,589
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE (lagunero @ Feb 23 2006, 08:39 AM)

Cops dont usually harass parked cars.
+Quote Post
nocones
post Feb 23 2006, 11:45 AM
Post #68

Sportscar lunatic

Member No.: 2,220

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/av-943.gif)

I drove a 650HP Big Block 66 Chevelle everyday in the summer as my daily car. Gutted interior, 6 point cage, no hood, loud exhaust, dropped onto the bump stops in the front, arrest me Red, etc. I was pulled over and harrassed, but never ticketed. I didn't street race.

Mmm... 66' Chevelle... My favorite Chebby (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/smiley_notworthy.gif)
+Quote Post
Pinepig
post Feb 23 2006, 11:57 AM
Post #69

Member No.: 5,350

yea Rick but when and where? The new"tuner law" sounds like it's more for stopping kids like Andrew than stopping an adult.

Not so true, they got my buddy Howard coming out of Intel in his TDI golf.

He's about 35, car is lowered with nice BBS wheels. Wanted him to pop the hood to check for smog stuff on a diesel. Morons.
+Quote Post
bondo
post Feb 23 2006, 12:19 PM
Post #70

Practicing my perpendicular parking

Member No.: 587
Region Association: Central California

QUOTE (MattR @ Feb 23 2006, 10:23 AM)

Except Nathan's... (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post

4 Pages V « < 2 3 4
Reply to this topicStart new topic
4 User(s) are reading this topic (4 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd June 2024 - 12:43 PM